Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the trunk when you need to lower the back seat? I pull it gently - it doesn't work. I pull it hard - it doesn't work. I pull it several times like trying to stop a horse - doesn't work. The only time it will lower the back seat is when I walk from the trunk to the back seat like 5 times to see if it's released :headbash:
Am I doing something wrong, or is something wrong with the lever in my car?

·
Elvira
3,585 Posts
You need to reach around the open door and pull down on the seat while simultaneously pulling the release out!!!!

Just kidding:banana:

When you slowly pull the release out you should notice that it remains in the "pulled out" position then you really do need to go inside to lower the seats.
Pulling on the release DOES NOT automatically snap release the seat, it won't pop out of position by itself. The seat appears to not move at all when doing this just unlatch the seatback.
If you pull the relese quickly and allow the spring to pull the release back into starting position you are basically re-latching the seat and it won't fold down.
When you reraise the seat into position it will latch.

Miker

·
Registered
164 Posts
You can get the latch adjusted but in time being you can just pull the latch and hold it and push the seat down thats what I've been doing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
A gentle pull is enough on mine. You do have to go around and actually pull the seat down, but I haven't had any issues with it being stubborn.

I've only dropped it a couple of times, though - once at the dealer, then another to air out the trunk after spraying it with Scotchgard. Although today I learned the trunk light will turn itself off after a while, so I guess it would have been fine to just leave the trunk open instead.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it doesn't fall down by itself, my problem is that when I walk to fold it, it is still locked no matter how/how-many-times I pull the damn lever. So it's a back-and-forth walking from the trunk to the back seat. Pulling the lever doesn't even give you any feedback that it was released. Very poor design by Honda IMO. If other manufacturers can make a handle that delivers "it's released!" feel through your arm, I am sure Honda can too.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
According to the owner's manual it is a two step process. First you pull the release lever in the trunk to release the lock. Then the second step is to fold down the rear seat. Either you have to walk around to the back seat to fold it down or crawl into the trunk and push the seat back down. Personally I have not tried it in either my 2000 Accord Coupe in the past 16 years nor in my new car. The opening is fairly small and doesn't seem that useful.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I know it doesn't fall down by itself, my problem is that when I walk to fold it, it is still locked no matter how/how-many-times I pull the damn lever. So it's a back-and-forth walking from the trunk to the back seat. Pulling the lever doesn't even give you any feedback that it was released. Very poor design by Honda IMO. If other manufacturers can make a handle that delivers "it's released!" feel through your arm, I am sure Honda can too.
Does it come to a point where it catches or doesn't want to come out any further? I don't get any tactile feedback either, but when it stops coming forward, I know that it's ready for me to drop the seat. It sounds like this is how it works for other people, so if you're having trouble, it might be worth taking it to the stealer to see if it's a defect they can fix since you're still under the bumper to bumper warranty.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
I know it doesn't fall down by itself, my problem is that when I walk to fold it, it is still locked no matter how/how-many-times I pull the damn lever. So it's a back-and-forth walking from the trunk to the back seat.
Instead of pulling the lever and then walking over to fold the seat down, do what I do, pull on the release and reach around and fold the seat down at the same time. Works every time for me!

·
Registered
901 Posts
On the subject of the folding rear seat, am I the only one that thinks it not being a 60/40 split sucks? I used to use that feature all the time with one kid in the back, one up front and a seat down to carry fishing poles, hockey sticks, lumber from the Home store etc. The lack of 60/40 split is the only reason I seriously considered the camry. Had the camry boards not had so many unresolved issues I might have done it :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
On the subject of the folding rear seat, am I the only one that thinks it not being a 60/40 split sucks? I used to use that feature all the time with one kid in the back, one up front and a seat down to carry fishing poles, hockey sticks, lumber from the Home store etc. The lack of 60/40 split is the only reason I seriously considered the camry. Had the camry boards not had so many unresolved issues I might have done it :)
I agree! Seems like such a simple thing to implement. The Mazda 6 has it too, but it obviously wasn't enough to sway me.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I looked at the 6 too, but they want too much money for a car with little re-sale/trade value and practically no dealer support network. I put the 60/40 negative comment in my Honda survey...hopefully they listen for when I'm ready for the next one!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The current small pass through would make splitting the rear seat not very useful and create more complexity. I guess if you are only interested in carrying hockey sticks or fishing poles it might be useful but anything larger would not work. A better idea would be to design a folding arm rest in the center of the rear seat with a pass through for slim long items. Because I own the coupe I don't really consider the back seat as really useful for carrying anything including people. I consider it more like a 2+2 rather than a true four seat car.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I looked at the 6 too, but they want too much money for a car with little re-sale/trade value and practically no dealer support network. I put the 60/40 negative comment in my Honda survey...hopefully they listen for when I'm ready for the next one!
I couldn't believe the Mazda dealer was pushing MSRP on this car! My 2006 6 lost half it's value in a year, while the TSX lost $8k value in 2 years from what I paid. They're nuts at Mazda!

I wish the car had a split seat too, but I haven't really had to lower it to haul anything since I've gotten the car.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hmm this makes me wonder does the us models have a armrest pass through?
They used to. My 2005 has one, but the idiots at Honda took it away in later models.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah it sucks! My 8th gen had a pass through and I loved it, I found out that they got rid of it when I went on my skii trip. As before I could put all the gear through the pass through, kinda dissapointed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts