Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here had a timing belt break on a 3.5L V-6 due to age rather than miles?
In other words, the belt broke before the miles recommended for changing was reached.
Anyone?

Reason being, my car is about to hit 50k miles but is a 2011.
What does the group think?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Why risk it? It's been 10 years.
What would be the point of trying to push your luck any further? You'll probably get rid of it before the next one after that is due, so you've already saved money.

·
(Ken)
'09 6-6 Accord Coupe
77 Posts
I've only ever heard of timing belts shredding on Hondas/Acuras due to a seized water pump. The bearing goes bad and one day it stops spinning. In your situation, I might be tempted to replace the belt and not the pump. So long as you've always used Honda blue coolant, there's minimal risk of a leaky seal forcing you to go back and replace the pump.

Interested to hear others recount tales of of snapped belts, though.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
959 Posts
Dunno, someone recently posted about their belt snapping, but then you have people like my boyfriend who find out that the timing belt in their secondhand 2002 Civic is the ORIGINAL...
Once we found out that the belt was 18 years old (it was legal!), we had it changed ASAP. For the record, the car only has 55k on it, so that may or may not have played a part.

Anyway, I wouldn't risk it. ~$1,000 for a new belt and pump plus peace of mind is better all around than needing a whole new engine.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I’d just get it done ASAP. I was in a similar situation earlier with my other car (2013 that had 67k miles), sure I also waited thinking it wasn’t necessary and wasn’t looking forward to pay the bill to have it done. I could probably put it off a bit longer too, but after I got it done a while ago (at a great price with my mechanic), I no longer had any concerns about the belt snapping on me anymore. I’d shop around and go for it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As I recall, Honda says timing belt is due 7 years or 105k miles, whichever comes first. You made a forum post, so obviously you have some concerns. I'd get it done & not sweat about it.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone!
My car has only had Honda coolant in it. I just changed it not long ago.
I shopped around today, getting estimates on doing the job.
It was interesting what some of the recommendations were.
I found a mechanic that is willing to replace just the belt/hyd adj'r/idler pulley and will give me the water pump that comes in the kit he'll use. He'll also replace the serpentine belt too. That for under $1k total makes me happy as well as the 3-yr/36k mile warranty. My car is running so well now that I have the S-VCM unit in it I really hate letting anyone take it apart. At the same time I'm conservative enough to know I'd really hate myself if the belt broke and I lunched the motor.
I think I'll make an apt to get it done next week or following as they're fairly busy these days.
Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Sounds perfect! Also, you might want to make sure your shop is putting a quality timing belt kit in your car. The one my shop used is called the Aisin kit, which is recommended by many on here I believe.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Accord, Coupe, Touring (V6, 6AT), 2017 Honda Accord Sedan, EXL V6 w/ Navi, Sensing
272 Posts
Why save the water pump? You plan on putting it in another 105k miles or 7 years the next time you do the timing belt on this car? Myself, I’d just put in the new water pump. There’s no money to be saved in not installing it and a bit of risk in not doing so.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
332 Posts
It's not like Honda throws in the 7 years for the timing belt recommendation for no reason. Rubber parts age.

Aisin kit (or if you really want the Honda parts with the Honda logo, OEM parts from a dealer) and you should be good.

There are plenty of things that can cause a timing belt failure. To name a few, seized water pump, the belt itself, or a tensioner failure (although you'd hear a ticking on cold start that goes away once warmed up usually if the tensioner is failing, or you'd see fluid leaking)

Reactions: 2Accordz

·
VCM DELETE
888 Posts
I did mine at 97k/9 years. I know I waited a little longer but in the end its worth it. I paid around 1000$ at the dealer. Shop around, ask for discounts.

Dunno, someone recently posted about their belt snapping, but then you have people like my boyfriend who find out that the timing belt in their secondhand 2002 Civic is the ORIGINAL...
Once we found out that the belt was 18 years old (it was legal!), we had it changed ASAP. For the record, the car only has 55k on it, so that may or may not have played a part.

Anyway, I wouldn't risk it. ~$1,000 for a new belt and pump plus peace of mind is better all around than needing a whole new engine.
My 2007 Audi had the Original T-Belt at 14 years old and 190,000mi. Got lucky there...Mechanic said the threads were showing on the edges of the belt. Was a ticking timebomb.
I know some people who have V6 Accord with T-belts (7th and 8th gen) who said no way will they replace it. (just basically due to cost)
They will drive it till it dies then send it to the junkyard.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another update here.
Yes, they will use an Asin kit.
I'm not putting in the water pump for a couple of reasons. I just did a coolant change and the car has only had Honda coolant in it, so I think the pump is OK. It doesn't run hot and never has. Why should I add the cost of new coolant to this job if I don't really need to? And no, I wouldn't allow them to reuse the old coolant, new as it is.
As for the tensioner, I'd reuse the old one but since a new one is included in the kit I'll have them use that. Same for the pulley. Those bearings should be good to go at least 100k miles and I'm only at 50k. I doubt I'll see this car turn 100k miles in my lifetime or ownership cycle.
The main reason for doing this job at all is because I'd hate to be stranded if it were to fail. I can afford to get it done on my time frame and not be reliant on someone else to get me out of a jam. Plus, it'll give me added peace of mind when traveling the roads of this great country of ours.
I can remember the days of my youth when I would travel the county in my BMW 1600 with nothing more than my small tool box in the trunk. Faith in my ability to handle any mechanical situation added to the pleasure of driving across country. I rarely even take tools with me when I'm in my Accord these days. I trust it that much not to break.
By the way, this is the same shop that said they'd never seen a belt break due to age vs miles. I almost feel lucky that they're willing to do the replacement my way and still apply their warranty to it. It's better than what a dealer would give me.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,134 Posts
Okay then, I guess the question is, why did you ask the question?

• Haha
Reactions: scar_cle

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
By the way, this is the same shop that said they'd never seen a belt break due to age vs miles. I almost feel lucky that they're willing to do the replacement my way and still apply their warranty to it. It's better than what a dealer would give me.
Correct. It's the tensioner that is the concern.
I would not even question the tensioner replacement, as more often than not, this is the issue w/V6s.
A big gamble not to do the water pump....IMO, in for a penny in for a pound.

Do you feel lucky?
Well do ya?;)

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Just replace the water pump, they can capture the coolant and reuse it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm with the others, change the pump. There is absolutely no reason to continue to rely on an old water pump, regardless of the type of coolant you've been using.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: I got the belt changed today. Hydraulic tensioner and idler pulley, plus the serpentine belt.
I'll take photos of the old parts tomorrow.
If I'd been shown the belts and asked how old they were there is no way I'd say they're ten years old.
I based my 'no water pump' stance on the fact I had an '02 V-6 Accord I put 153k on commuting on the worst freeway commute in SoCal over 9 years and only replaced the belt/pump at 105k miles with no issues. This one only has 50k on it. It will outlast me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you paid for the Aisin kit, the water pump was in the kit to replace. 🤦‍♂️
Coolant is cheap versus a failing old water pump.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hear what you're saying NailGrease. I just don't think this pump is going to fail due to age.
I took two pictures of the timing belt that came out. It doesn't look like it's even been run IMO. Maybe a little around the edges but it's in pretty nice shape overall.
I found that they didn't replace the pulley bearings like I wanted. Found two new ones in the box of parts. (sigh) This little episode is reminding me of why I don't let others work on my cars. They did use the new hydraulic tensioner. They could have easily re-used the old one. I put it in a vise and pushed the piston back in and inserted the hand-grenade pin. It is so clean I had a hard time telling if it really was the old one or not. The witness marks from the bolts are hard to see.
So, basically I have a complete kit to redo the belt, all I need is another belt.
I'll upload the pics and let you guys comment.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, one other thing. The fine print (fine as in get out a magnifying glass to read it) on the bill says the warranty doesn't apply to belts. So much for catch and release. I took that one hook line and sinker.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts