Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
how did you download it? I went to 192.168.50.2 like they told me and it says no updates
2018 Honda Accord Touring 1.5 L

Format 8GB pendrive using FAF32 file system with default file size.

Download and store the 28.10.2020 firmware from https://github.com/ludwig-v/wireless-carplay-dongle-reverse-engineering/tree/master/Firmware in the pendrive. (Make sure to rename the file to U2W_Update)

Connect the Carlinkit/Carplay2air to a USB Wall power outlet

Wait for the solid Red light.

Insert the pendrive into the Carlinkit/Carplay2air and wait atlest 4 minutes while the device being updated (You will see alternative red light and green light on the device and finally solid red)

Delete all Wi-Fi and Bluetooth from Phone and Car (then make sure both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are tuned on in the phone)

Insert the Carlinkit/Carplay2air once the head unit is fully booted.

Select the Phone from the Carlinkit/Carplay2air screen you see.

Wait for the setup to complete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
They’ve now said it’s supported for Accords. Mine is on a slow boat from China so we’ll see when I get it.
PLEASE let us know how it goes when you get it. I went through the whole process of ordering it from China and then having to return it. I'd love to know that they've made it work for the 2019 and up Accords.

·
2020 Accord Touring 2.0T
22 Posts
Carplay2air/Carlinkit latest firmware v 28.10.2020 supports all Honda vehicles which includes 10th generation Honda Accords (2018 and Newer). Carplay2air sent an email update to all those who registered in their website for Honda Accord Support.

One 2019 Honda Accord user tested and confirmed in another forum.

I will update my Carlinkit to latest firmware and confirm soon.

I’d like to know as well - can/should I reconnect my phone to the head unit after installing the dongle? I think it’s required for HondaLink.

I got my cplay2air today, but when I plug it in, nothing happens except the radio asks if I want to enable CarPlay for the device. Nothing from the instructions is happening. I cannot connect to it via Bluetooth or WiFi. I am completely disconnected from all WiFi and have deleted all of the Bluetooth settings for my car on the phone, and have deleted everything from my car Bluetooth about my phone. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Accord Hybrid EX
9 Posts
I got my cplay2air today, but when I plug it in, nothing happens except the radio asks if I want to enable CarPlay for the device. Nothing from the instructions is happening. I cannot connect to it via Bluetooth or WiFi. I am completely disconnected from all WiFi and have deleted all of the Bluetooth settings for my car on the phone, and have deleted everything from my car Bluetooth about my phone. Any help would be appreciated.
With the unit plugged in, you should be able to see a wifi network that could be something like auto link or Volkswagen or something else. The password for whatever this network ends up being is 12345678, connect to it. Go to 192.168.50.2 and check what version of software it's on. If it's 8.04 or older then you need to get it to update. I would recommend, for this update, that you have the unit plugged into an ac adapter at home in case it loses power in the car for some reason. After this update, when you plug it into the car again, CarPlay should work wirelessly.

Those are the steps I took except I have a carlinkit I got from amazon which is supposed to be mostly identical.

EDIT: The USB method to update may also work. The most important thing from my post though is that the wifi password is 12345678

·
Registered
7 Posts
2018 Honda Accord Touring 1.5 L

Format 8GB pendrive using FAF32 file system with default file size.

Download and store the 28.10.2020 firmware from https://github.com/ludwig-v/wireless-carplay-dongle-reverse-engineering/tree/master/Firmware in the pendrive. (Make sure to rename the file to U2W_Update)

Connect the Carlinkit/Carplay2air to a USB Wall power outlet

Wait for the solid Red light.

Insert the pendrive into the Carlinkit/Carplay2air and wait atlest 4 minutes while the device being updated (You will see alternative red light and green light on the device and finally solid red)

Delete all Wi-Fi and Bluetooth from Phone and Car (then make sure both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are tuned on in the phone)

Insert the Carlinkit/Carplay2air once the head unit is fully booted.

Select the Phone from the Carlinkit/Carplay2air screen you see.

Wait for the setup to complete

Thanks for the info, cplay2air worked like a charm! Key is changing or renaming the file to U2W_Update. I have a 2020 Hybrid Touring FYI.

·
2020 Accord Touring 2.0T
22 Posts
With the unit plugged in, you should be able to see a wifi network that could be something like auto link or Volkswagen or something else. The password for whatever this network ends up being is 12345678, connect to it. Go to 192.168.50.2 and check what version of software it's on. If it's 8.04 or older then you need to get it to update. I would recommend, for this update, that you have the unit plugged into an ac adapter at home in case it loses power in the car for some reason. After this update, when you plug it into the car again, CarPlay should work wirelessly.

Those are the steps I took except I have a carlinkit I got from amazon which is supposed to be mostly identical.

EDIT: The USB method to update may also work. The most important thing from my post though is that the wifi password is 12345678
I used the usb method above which worked - for like 20 seconds. I checked for an update (I guess I was stupid to think there would be another update), which it said there was. I clicked update. It said the update was successful - then the lights blinked blue really fast and went out. They have not come back on - restarted the car, unplugged and re-plugged in the dongle. Nothing.
I plugged it into a USB power adapter, and there was a faint blue light but nothing happened. I unplugged it, then replugged it back in, and no lights. So far this has been a VERY frustrating experience. I guess I should not have trusted the built in software updater. Any suggestions on what to do now? I am trying to get the USB firmware update to work again, but I cannot get the red light to come on when plugged into a USB power adapter. Should I assume it is bricked now? :mad:

·
Registered
2019 Accord Hybrid EX
9 Posts
I used the usb method above which worked - for like 20 seconds. I checked for an update (I guess I was stupid to think there would be another update), which it said there was. I clicked update. It said the update was successful - then the lights blinked blue really fast and went out. They have not come back on - restarted the car, unplugged and re-plugged in the dongle. Nothing.
I plugged it into a USB power adapter, and there was a faint blue light but nothing happened. I unplugged it, then replugged it back in, and no lights. So far this has been a VERY frustrating experience. I guess I should not have trusted the built in software updater. Any suggestions on what to do now? I am trying to get the USB firmware update to work again, but I cannot get the red light to come on when plugged into a USB power adapter. Should I assume it is bricked now? :mad:
I had a similar experience with the first Carlinkit I purchased. I exchanged it with Amazon and got lucky this time. Unfortunately these units seem finicky. It’s very possible that your unit is bricked and you need to have the company swap it out for you :/

·
2020 Accord Touring 2.0T
22 Posts
I had a similar experience with the first Carlinkit I purchased. I exchanged it with Amazon and got lucky this time. Unfortunately these units seem finicky. It’s very possible that your unit is bricked and you need to have the company swap it out for you :/
That's what I am afraid of - I ordered mine directly from cplay2air.com. So most likely it is going to be a pain to get a replacement - which is why I am hoping I can get it working again.... If anyone has any suggestions???

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got my cplay2air today as well. At first it just kept trying to connect and failing, but then I did the update and it connected after that. I wasn't going anywhere, but I purposely tried to stress test by jumping around screens and scrolling and in a couple minutes of testing, I had the screen freeze :( I was able to recover by going home on the head unit and carplay launched right up again and worked again but that's not good. So as mentioned above and what I suspected, I guess all these units are basically the same. The instructions are the same so I suspect this is going to freeze like the Carlinkit I got on Amazon. Again, I have a 2017 Accord, so maybe it will be better in the 10th gens.

Sorry for your troubles Macmuchmore. I know how frustrating that can be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got my wireless CarPlay adapter yesterday and with a small hiccup it now works PERFECTLY!!! I highly recommend this to everyone. Now with my wireless charging pad and the dongle I am CORD FREE!!!

This is what I experienced.

The adapter did not work when I installed it. The firmware update link on the instructions is not working so to say I was frustrated is an understatement. I contacted support at CARPLAY2AIR and they sent me a link to google docs with the update. Here is a copy of the email Tiffany sent me……

Hello Timothy,

Here is the latest manual update available.

Update instructions:

1.Please download the firmware update file from here:

U2W_Update.img

1. Please save update firmware file on USB flash drive (Flash drive format must be FAT32)
  2. Plug the flash drive into the CPLAY2air adapter.
  3. Plug CPLAY2air to the USB power charger/wall charger for your iPhone. Please don’t use the USB port of the car or computer!!
  4. Please wait 2-3 minutes, until the the flashing light becomes solid
  5. Please unplug the adapter from the USB charger and remove the USB flash drive from the adapter.
  6. Please now plug the product into the USB port of the car.
  7. Please wait until the new window will appear on the vehicle's screen.
  8. Connect your phone to the Bluetooth network which is shown on the screen.
  9. Wait for the new interface to appear on the screen.

Very Important note: Do not attempt to connect the adapter to your computer's or laptop's USB port. These ports are made to transfer data and will just interrupt the update process and brick the device.

Let me know once this is done. :)

Thank you!

--

Tiffany

THE CORRECT FILE NAME IS AS FOLLOWS! U2W_Update.img
The link would download but for some reason kept adding “.28” after the .img file name. I simply removed the “.2” and it then updated the dongle perfectly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update
Used the wireless CarPlay now several times and it is very glitchy every few minutes the head unit goes blank and you have to hit home and CarPlay again, it keeps working no problem can deal with that it takes 2 seconds. The other problem is every drive I’ve done with it after a couple of minutes it reboots the head unit and that takes a couple of minutes to reconnect and you have to re-enter your destination again. Other than that it works great LOL!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got my cplay2air today as well. At first it just kept trying to connect and failing, but then I did the update and it connected after that. I wasn't going anywhere, but I purposely tried to stress test by jumping around screens and scrolling and in a couple minutes of testing, I had the screen freeze :( I was able to recover by going home on the head unit and carplay launched right up again and worked again but that's not good. So as mentioned above and what I suspected, I guess all these units are basically the same. The instructions are the same so I suspect this is going to freeze like the Carlinkit I got on Amazon. Again, I have a 2017 Accord, so maybe it will be better in the 10th gens.

Sorry for your troubles Macmuchmore. I know how frustrating that can be.
Tried the carplay2air will driving to a from work and I had multiple freezes and one time it wouldn't connect at all. I've emailed support but I'm guessing they won't have a fix. I just find it odd how they specifically said it didn't support Accords at first, then they said it did and it clearly doesn't support the 9th gen.

·
2020 Accord Touring 2.0T
22 Posts
So it looks like my cplay2air is bricked. I will be returning it. In the meantime, I ordered the version (Carlinkit) from Amazon and it got here in 24 hours and It is working well, though I do have a couple of questions. Now that it is working, can I reconnect to the regular bluetooth in my car (for Hondalink)?

Hey - does the Carlinkit 2.0 work with the 10th gen Accord?

PLEASE let us know how it goes when you get it. I went through the whole process of ordering it from China and then having to return it. I'd love to know that they've made it work for the 2019 and up Accords.
I would recommend purchasing the Carlinkit version of the cplay2air from amazon vs purchasing the cplay2air from China like I did. With amazon, returns are easy. They are the same hardware and use the same firmware - not sure why 2 companies are selling the exact same product.... Anyways, I am going to have to return mine to China and it is going to be a pain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just received my dongle from Cplay2air and I followed the instructions of updating the firmware...placed the file on a USB and plugged it into the dongle, then into a USB wall adapter...no light is blinking or solid. Does this mean I have a faulty one based on everyone's experience so far?

·
2020 Accord Touring 2.0T
22 Posts
After using my single for a day or so, I can say google maps makes the screen go blank after a few minutes - just have to hit the home button and can go back into CarPlay. However, Apple Maps works fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just received my dongle from Cplay2air and I followed the instructions of updating the firmware...placed the file on a USB and plugged it into the dongle, then into a USB wall adapter...no light is blinking or solid. Does this mean I have a faulty one based on everyone's experience so far?
What is the name of the file you are trying to install? My update somehow changed the name from U2W_Update.img to U2W_Update.img.28. all I did was remove the .28 on the filename and it updated itself within 3 minutes

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is the name of the file you are trying to install? My update somehow changed the name from U2W_Update.img to U2W_Update.img.28. all I did was remove the .28 on the filename and it updated itself within 3 minutes
Same thing, U2W_Update.img

Red light went solid. Then plug the unit into the car, a window pops up asking to enable carplay. But after that, nothing. Don't see any wifi on my phone to connect to or anything.

Ok finally got it, wish I knew exactly what it was that changed, but I think the order in which I plugged in the USB drive to dongle to wall charger was wrong, and it wasn't automatically doing the firmware update. After the dongle was plugged in to the wall charger, then plugging in USB, the blue/red flashing started and it updated. Then I was able to connect the phone to the dongle once it was plugged into the car. I'm sure everyone else figured it out, but after restarting the car a few times, the phone would not automatically connect to CarPlay wirelessly unless the phone was unlocked. Best of luck to everyone else having issues.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know this thread is for 10th gen and that's awesome that it sounds like it's working well, but as mentioned, the carplay2air constantly freezes in my 9th gen. I tried contacting the company on their contact us form early last week asking if they had any solutions. No response. I responded to the facebook message I had with them when I asked when they would support accords. They haven't responded even though they responded quickly the first time I asked and then they messaged me to let me know it did support Accords and responded after I said I was buying one. But when I have a support question, no response. They have an email on their site to email about return information. I sent a message 2 days ago and no response. I got a Black Friday email from them with that same email so they have no problem emailing me. Their return policy is only 15 days, which is really crappy, but I read that when I bought it so I was aware and I'm getting close to that. I do have the email showing that I was trying to return it within the 15 days, but it will be interesting to see if they ever respond. I've never done a chargeback in my life, but I wonder if I could if they just never respond. So again, it's great if it's working for the 10th gen, just be aware there is basically no support.

By comparison, the carlinkit I bought on amazon, their support is super responsive. I was having the same issues with that unit (since I believe it's just a reskinned carplay2air) and they respond within 24 hrs (I assume they are in China, so a delay is expected). They pushed me a new software version, which didn't work, but they keep trying to fix it, which they haven't been able to, but I have until the end of a January to return it to Amazon, so I might as well keep trying what they suggest to see if they can fix it.

So it looks like my cplay2air is bricked. I will be returning it.
Have you been able to return yours? If so, how did you do it?

Carplay2air finally responded but their proposed solution is to "not use full screen" and to use the dashboard view only. LOL what a joke of a company. I also found this on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CarPlay/comments/k2jmsp

·
Registered
35 Posts
SUCCESS! I purchased a CarlinKit 2 directly from the manufacturer. Their Web site confirms that it will work with the 2018-2020 Accord with Android v6 installed on the head unit.

Installing it was pretty straight forward, although the menus are in Chinese which makes it a bit difficult to figure this out.

Here's what I did and the order in which I did it.

1. I connected the supplied dongle (USBc to USB A) to the USB port in the center console. The red light came on solid on the CarlinKit 2.
  2. The head unit displayed a screen that indicated that Bluetooth was on, but it was in Chinese.
  3. I went to my iPhone 12 Pro and then Settings/Bluetooth and connected to the CarlinKit 2.
  4. My phone appeared on the CarlinKit 2 setup Screen on the head unit of my Accord and I selected it.
  5. The light changed to solid green on the CarlinKit 2 device
  6. Apple AirPlay was recognized on the Home screen and my iPhone connected easily.
  7. The CarlinKit 2 connects automatically with a solid green light when I restart the car.
More to come after I've had a chance to use it in daily driving. I'd caution anyone buying this to get it from Amazon, not directly from CarlinKit. I got mine because it was on sale at their Web site for less that Amazon, but the few dollars in savings aren't worth the extra time to receive it, and hopefully the Amazon version already has English as the default language.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts