Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They make a dual din radio replacement kit for our 7th gens?

If so link?

·
Registered
52 Posts
nope they don't, the best you are going to get is the single din kit which moves the climate controls etc.

The reason that they don't make one is because honda decided to integrate the climate control board with the radio control board... as of yet, there isn't any aftermarket kits available, unless you make your own...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i could always see if it fits and fiberglass it in there where the stock one is, i was just hoping for an easier option, oh well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well i could always see if it fits and fiberglass it in there where the stock one is, i was just hoping for an easier option, oh well.
Unfortunately you can't do that..... unless you want to make a whole new circuit board for your climate controls, which would cost $$$. The problem isn't that there isn't a kit, the problem is that at the moment it isn't possible. You would have to get the single din kit with the climate controls moved, and then you could possibly make that one work. If you have dual climate control etc, it just isn't possible, unless you want to lose all the functions except control one fan speed.

If you take apart your dash, you will see that against the back of the stock head unit, there is a circuit board that runs almost the full length. The climate/radio display is also attached to this circuit board, and you won't be able to cut it.

I would love to make a double din display... and it might be possible. What I was thinking of doing is this..

The very bottom of the controls is attached by a ribbon cable, which helps, but what I would do is shave the plastic retainers that hold the buttons above the lower buttons, buy a blank circuit board from ebay, any size is fine, then what you would need to do, is unsolder the buttons, and leds from your circuit board and mount them on the blank, then run wires from the blank board to the main circuit board, so that you can lay it flat (there is enough room to lay it flat) that way you wouldn't lose any of your climate control functions.... now the hard part is the display, I have yet to find a display to just show me temp settings. On our oem deck, the display is soldered into the main board with 75 pins..... and I have yet to find out what each one of those separate pins do.... so connecting them to a different display would be a PITA. I was thinking it would maybe be possible, if you had a wiring diagram of the 75 pin connector, to use a navi verison temp display, since it is separate from the unit or a TL temp display. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance yet to purchase one and take it apart to see if it is possible, but it might be, and if it would be, you'd need to pick the right connectors and extend them to the temp display.....

I guess if you really wanted too, and you didn't care to see what your temp settings would be at you could just leave the main display on the board when you lay it flat... it would save you a ton of time and money, because extending a few of the buttons is easier then doing everything.

It's a long process, there is another option, and I know you can pick up a single din for the cubby, and you would be able to modify it to fit a double din... but some people will say no to this because they don't wan to lose their cubby.

Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as cutting a double din hole in your current display and fibre glassing around it to make it fit.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
A double-DIN will not fit in the factory location, there is no room behind the dash for one. Your only option is a lower pocket kit and do some custom work to make it fit. Search the audio thread for the title "Show off your Audio" and you will see photos of a double-DIN installed in the lower pocket. Pretty pointless since you have to look down at it. I assume your 4-banger has single climate control If so, you can get the Metra dash kit that allows you to install a single DIN unit in the factory location. Then you can do a flip-out screen. That is close as you are going to get in the factory location.

·
Mike
841 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts