Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of our resident audiophiles here measured the bass response of the rear speakers (factory sub or non-factory sub) in comparison to the contents of their trunks. Said another way, I have not yet installed my aftermarket sub, but have noticed the rear speakers sound a little "bassier" when my sedan trunk is full. Keep in mind, I also have the trunk liner and insulator. Since the entire trunk is effectively the speaker enclosure, it is logical the sound is being effected by the "size" of the trunk.

I am just thinking out loud here... :wave:

Scott C.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I havent done any measuring mainly because I'm satisfied enough with the factory system. I've got a coupe with the premium system which includes the 8" sub. For my high end listening I go to my home system(s). I quite like the Accord system, it doesnt over exaggerate the bass like so many systems in cars these days. I cant say I'll be upgrading it anytime soon. I love having a 32GB flash drive full of MP3s for ease of use and obviously an MP3 file isnt audiophile quality but in a car, it's good enough for me.

As for the trunk, yes, volume would affect the sound as any other enclosure does. But there is also another big variable, that is temperature. In my area these days we get -25 regularly and that does affect the stiffness of the speaker surround which must affect the diaphragm response. Cars which are used as daily drivers year round cannot be a perfect and consistent audio environment which is why my audio money goes into my home systems.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havent done any measuring mainly because I'm satisfied enough with the factory system. I've got a coupe with the premium system which includes the 8" sub. For my high end listening I go to my home system(s). I quite like the Accord system, it doesnt over exaggerate the bass like so many systems in cars these days. I cant say I'll be upgrading it anytime soon. I love having a 32GB flash drive full of MP3s for ease of use and obviously an MP3 file isnt audiophile quality but in a car, it's good enough for me.

As for the trunk, yes, volume would affect the sound as any other enclosure does. But there is also another big variable, that is temperature. In my area these days we get -25 regularly and that does affect the stiffness of the speaker surround which must affect the diaphragm response. Cars which are used as daily drivers year round cannot be a perfect and consistent audio environment which is why my audio money goes into my home systems.
pw5599, I hear you and thanks for the response. I asked because the difference seems more pronounced in the Accord vs. previous cars I have owned.

As for the stiffness of the cone, I was thinking the opposite since the woofer needs to move to generate the bass wave. With colder temperatures, I was thinking it would move less which would generate a smaller bass wave. Incorrect?

Scott C.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, that's what I had implied that the stiffer the surround, the less movement thus less bass. Sound reasonable but I have never tested such a thing.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. With this fridig temperatures and winter blast my area is getting, perhaps this is a good time to test it and satisfy my curiousity. :)

Scott C.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts