Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
vtec yo
2015 Accord Ex-l
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who owns the VCMTUNER II - the newest version: Do your radiator fans continue to kick on and off? What does your temperature gauge read? Mine takes a little bit longer (5min more) to get to operating temperature but I don't hear the fans come on like it did before at stop lights etc..

Not that I have noticed any problems, I tend to overthink and assume the worst but I am wondering if the unit itself does in fact override the disable and turn on the fans in the event of overheating.

I have the newest version that doesnt require any adjustments due to outside temperatures. It does what it's advertised to do but I just wonder..sorry about my paranoia post

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't have the VCMTuner II, but my understanding is that it utilizes a microcontroller and it'll feed the ECU a coolant temperature value less than 167F which is the threshold for VCM to turn on. From what I've read, VCMTuner II (and others - VCMuzzler II (passive), and S-VCM) connects to the ECT1 connector which the ECU utilizes for the temp gauge only. ECT2 is where the fan control and other control side systems are operated by the ECU. The selling point with the microcontroller-based solution is that it'll pass on the exact coolant temperature value to the ECU once the microcontroller sees the temperature delta rise enough in the event of any overheating situation. Continue to monitor the situation, and see.

You may also want to ask this question over on OdyClub or Piloteers as there may be more folks there with VCMTuner II installed.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
320 Posts
@lji is correct. VCMTuner II does not affect fan operation in any way, neither does any VCM disable device.

If you're having no issues, I'd leave it. VCMTuner II will shut itself off in an overheat situation anyway, so you won't have to worry. And if there is an issue, the "big 4" of VCM Muzzlers (VCMuzzler II, MaxMuzzler, S-VCM, VCMTuner II) all have excellent customer support when something goes wrong.

·
vtec yo
2015 Accord Ex-l
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have the VCMTuner II, but my understanding is that it utilizes a microcontroller and it'll feed the ECU a coolant temperature value less than 167F which is the threshold for VCM to turn on. From what I've read, VCMTuner II (and others - VCMuzzler II (passive), and S-VCM) connects to the ECT1 connector which the ECU utilizes for the temp gauge only. ECT2 is where the fan control and other control side systems are operated by the ECU. The selling point with the microcontroller-based solution is that it'll pass on the exact coolant temperature value to the ECU once the microcontroller sees the temperature delta rise enough in the event of any overheating situation. Continue to monitor the situation, and see.

You may also want to ask this question over on OdyClub or Piloteers as there may be more folks there with VCMTuner II installed.
I ended up finding a pdf breaking it all down. Pretty much what you said too. Still would like the ktuner to disable it via ECU. I just overthink things and always expect horrible things to happen lol

@lji is correct. VCMTuner II does not affect fan operation in any way, neither does any VCM disable device.

If you're having no issues, I'd leave it. VCMTuner II will shut itself off in an overheat situation anyway, so you won't have to worry. And if there is an issue, the "big 4" of VCM Muzzlers (VCMuzzler II, MaxMuzzler, S-VCM, VCMTuner II) all have excellent customer support when something goes wrong.
Yeah I guess the ect1 doesn't deal with fans it's the ect2 that works them? If I am not mistaken or along those lines.
They have great customer service too. Definitely.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
320 Posts
Yes, the ECT2 sensor is what controls fans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts