Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has anyone replaced their 9th gen v6 starter with actual honda part # 31200-5G0-A04 ? Presumably, if you have, it's likely to fix the dreaded spinning/grinding starter issue. The original TSB 16-002 said to use 31200-5G0-A02 and the original part was 31200-5G0-A01. I'm wondering if all of these different versions have additions to help fix the spinning starter issue.

Essentially I want to know if the -A04 part actually fixes the problem...most people report the same exact issues with the A02 that they had with the A01. I performed the TSB (16-002) with an oreilly remanufactured starter and pretty much immediately had issues again.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you have a spinning starter I would be looking at maybe some teeth missing from the flex plate.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If theres missing teeth, and the starter is spinning... How does it ever get to a point where there is teeth?
or is it the solenoid not kicking the gear out into the flywheel?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the weird thing, I don't think missing teeth are the cause, I inspected the flywheel pretty well when I did the TSB 16-002 fix and it looked good.

·
Superbikes do it better
515 Posts
I did TSB 16-002 on a DIY basis in my own garage. I ordered starter # 31200-5G0-A04 from Bernardi Parts for just $321 (they did a price match). At the time, they had 2 in stock.

I installed the starter and performed the torque converter rotation pursuant to the TSB. Since then I've had no problems with the starter...it's been a night and day difference.

·
2015 accord sport
22 Posts
If you have a spinning starter I would be looking at maybe some teeth missing from the flex plate.

Most likely with a spinning starter it's the starter solenoid not kicking out, with missing teeth on the plate you hear occasion grinding, although the solenoid may kick out at times, this is a sign of a starter going bad.

This is my past experience with working on cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone replaced their 9th gen v6 starter with actual honda part # 31200-5G0-A04 ? Presumably, if you have, it's likely to fix the dreaded spinning/grinding starter issue. The original TSB 16-002 said to use 31200-5G0-A02 and the original part was 31200-5G0-A01. I'm wondering if all of these different versions have additions to help fix the spinning starter issue.

Essentially I want to know if the -A04 part actually fixes the problem...most people report the same exact issues with the A02 that they had with the A01. I performed the TSB (16-002) with an oreilly remanufactured starter and pretty much immediately had issues again.
Steve - I got your PM you sent me a few months ago, sorry, i don't go on here often enough! To answer your question, Yes, they have replaced my starter, they reference part number
31200-5GO-A04, but also there is the same number ending in A02. I think they installed the A04, because to the right side of service copy, it is shown as N/C! The Service copy also stated they rotated flywheel/torque converter (forgot which one was on the order) one bolt hole! There was also a bolt on the service copy also, so I guess they replaced or added one?

We have had no issues with the car since this work was performed! Thank God, it was very annoying to say the least!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: After two months of perfect starts with the -A04 part I had another faulty spinning start. The very next start it powered right up so hopefully, this was a fluke. The Honda part does have a 1 year warranty I believe but lets hope it doesn't come to that, I'm tired of replacing starters.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: replaced starter with honda -A04 part and it worked well for 2 months, then problem started again. Sent that part in for a warranty replacement... replaced again...after 3 days its already spinning...I'm not sure what my options are now...new flex plate/torque converter?

I'm concerned about this because its going to be quite expensive and I want to make sure its actually going to work if i spend the thousands its going to cost to have it put in.

While I had the starter off I manually turned the crank and inspected the teeth on the torque converter ring gear. Included is a picture of the worst section.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose my other question is...is there a fix that will prevent this from happening again in the future...or am I going to pay 2-3k to have a new torque converter installed and then have this pop up again in 80k miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if anyone is curious....called and got a quote from my local dealership...$2500 to replace torque converter 1300 for part 1200 labor

·
'15 EX-L V6 Mod Steel Met
105 Posts
stevo...I feel for you, man...

As you know, I'm kind of in the same boat ; in my case I had a local shop perform the TSB 16-002 and who also installed an aftermarket A02 starter. Keepin' fingers crossed it's been working for over a month, maybe 5 weeks....BUT I follow this ritual:

> I keep the car running for 15 seconds before turning off ....and to start, I push firmly on the brake before hitting the start button (usually right down in the middle).
> If out on a trip, I try and make thoughtful stops...i.e I won't stop the car, if I go to take a leak at a McDonalds or for a coffee at a Starbucks etc...i.e for short visits I park in an area where no one is around, go in and out as quickly as I can...I have cut down on stops by say 25% ~ 30% ; i.e if I don't stop the car, I don't have to turn it on...it's ridiculous, but I'm buying time - need to get 2 more years out of this car...I have closing in on 54K miles and cannot afford to ditch the car and don't want to go through the cost and hassle of changing out another starter and god forbid the flywheel.

$2500 is just too much to spend...I hate to have the dealer take off critical components and have them put back on and then something else goes wrong...it's almost like a Pandora's box.

I wish you the very best and please let us know how you make out in the end....I'm not an expert on flywheels so cannot comment on the condition of your flywheel as you have shown.

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
I performed the TSB today. It went a lot easier than most of my automotive projects. If you plan to complete this, be sure you have a good set of 1/2in extensions to easily reach the starter bolts. The torque converter ring gear looked OK, I didn't inspect it too closely but nothing crazy, didn't see anything especially worn. I replaced it with a new 31200-5G0-A04 starter.

I made a video of rotating the crankshaft while looking through the inspection window:

·
Reverse Gear
1,014 Posts
We have 2 9th gen V6 sedans. Both had the starter fail. Car #1 had the failure at 15k miles and the dealer replaced it under warranty. This would have been in 2016 sometime. Car #2 had the failure in April of this year at 24k miles. It sounds like these fixes or perhaps the first one isn't going to last forever? I've gone 20k on car #1 after the fix with no issues though. Car #1 hasn't missed a start since the starter was replaced, but the sound and feel of the start just isn't quite right. The starts on car #2 do sound and feel right. The service manager told me that the warranty entitles us to a re manufactured starter. At the time, he said they were on back order and Honda agreed to let him install a new one. I don't know how true that is, but the starter on car #2 does look brand new. I don't remember noticing that on car #1.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Please allow me to throw in my 2 cents.
I have a hard time believing that the TSB will fix the problem. The TSB has gone through 3-4 variations of starter p/n's with the same result. Problem may occur again. If you read the last part of the TSB it states "If there is a previous alignment mark and a reference to this bulletin, no further rotation can be done. A new torque converter will have to be installed".

What do you guys think ?

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
Please allow me to throw in my 2 cents.
I have a hard time believing that the TSB will fix the problem. The TSB has gone through 3-4 variations of starter p/n's with the same result. Problem may occur again. If you read the last part of the TSB it states "If there is a previous alignment mark and a reference to this bulletin, no further rotation can be done. A new torque converter will have to be installed".

What do you guys think ?
It might depend on how damaged the torque converter ring gear is. I believe we rotate it because of where the engine stops due to the compression of the engine, it normally stops in certain areas which might have been worn, rotating it will give it a new gear area to grab onto to start the rotation.

If Accord owners have to replace their torque converter in order to use their car Honda NEEDS to create a recall or fix it free of charge. That would be a huge hit to Honda's reputation that their last gen Accord will get to the point where it won't start after four or five years of use, not to mention the effect on the resell value of the cars. I certainly wouldn't look to buy another Honda knowing they choose not to fix a critical issue.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts