Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had the TSX rear sway bar installed for a while now and like it a lot.

I'd like to move up to a stiffer 19mm now and was considering the Underground Racing 19mm bar but then realized I can get one from a 2009+ Acura TL for way cheaper. However, there have been a few posts with people trying the AWD TL bars (20mm) and claiming they are a slightly different shape.

Has anyone installed the 19mm non-AWD TL bar on an 8th gen Accord with success and does it fit without rubbing issues like the 9th gen guys have seen on their TL bars? I've looked at the pictures of the bar from the Acura part diagram but can't really tell from those if its a different shape than the Accord bar or not.

· Registered
1,034 Posts
As I told you in the other thread on the other site, it will fit perfectly fine. There should not be any rubbing issues like the 9th gen either. The slightly different shape has no effect on fitment for our cars.

· mobiless2
2,201 Posts
Go for the 20mm bar.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
I have the progress 21mm RSW and it fit no problem. It was the same shape as the OEM one, however was larger in diameter and has more holes on the end of adjustability.
It is significantly less rigid than the stock 15mm RSW. If you want to get the most of your car's handling, get the 21mm Progress Rear Sway bar and progress rear end links, along with the Acura TL front sway bar and end links. It makes the car handle much better, with the car staying pretty damn flat around corners. For the few hundred bucks it costs, it completely changes the feel of the car

· Banned
11 Posts
So I've had the TSX rear sway bar installed for a while now and like it a lot.

I'd like to move up to a stiffer 19mm now and was considering the Underground Racing 19mm bar but then realized I can get one from a 2009+ Acura TL for way cheaper. However, there have been a few posts with people trying the AWD TL bars (20mm) and claiming they are a slightly different shape.

Has anyone installed the 19mm non-AWD TL bar on an 8th gen Accord with success and does it fit without rubbing issues like the 9th gen guys have seen on their TL bars? I've looked at the pictures of the bar from the Acura part diagram but can't really tell from those if its a different shape than the Accord bar or not.
You have few option 19mm UR or 19mm Acura TL i would go for Progress Accord 22mm. I run 2 years on 22mm Progress on most aggressive set up and i just love it. NOW I'm thinking about to replace for 24mm Acura TL FWD.
Remember for best result if you upgrade rear sway bar don't forgot about Rear end-link kit .I just se on e-bay Rear end-link kit for great price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251453417544?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

· Car so nice, bought twice
4,737 Posts
You have few option 19mm UR or 19mm Acura TL i would go for Progress Accord 22mm. I run 2 years on 22mm Progress on most aggressive set up and i just love it. NOW I'm thinking about to replace for 24mm Acura TL FWD.
Remember for best result if you upgrade rear sway bar don't forgot about Rear end-link kit .I just se on e-bay Rear end-link kit for great price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251453417544?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649
Could be wrong, but don't think you need to upgrade the end-links unless you're snapping them...which I know I haven't.

· Banned
11 Posts
Could be wrong, but don't think you need to upgrade the end-links unless you're snapping them...which I know I haven't.
absolutely wrong .. end link one part of your rear end performance.
Don't listen anyone ,just get it i recommend it. You don't have to installed just compared from picture and you'll understood OEM is weekender no adjustment options,very slim and flex.. Progress end link has thickness of you thumb 2 NUTS TO UDJUST ,adjustable for more performance and aggressiveness. OEM end links is 11mm thickness no adjustments wobbling your car badly with 19mm or 22mm (well not so bad as OEM 14mm). Well you decide spend more and get best result or save your buck$$ and be there somewhere half way.

· Registered
1,034 Posts
Well I do not personally know the benefit of going with aftermarket sway bar end links, I do know that our car shares the same factory end links with all 09+ TSX and 09+ TL (including AWD).

So you RSB options are:

-17mm TSX RSB
-19mm UR Rear Sway Bar
-19mm Acura TL RSB
-20mm Acura TL AWD RSB
-22mm UR RSB
-22mm Progress RSB
-24mm Progress RSB (for 09+ TL)

Just so you know, someone on Acurazine who has an 09+ TL with the 24mm RSB experienced a torn rear subframe from the RSB being to large (and added stiffness). They ended up purchasing a new subframe and returning back to the factory RSB. Just something to consider.

4,737 Posts
Well I do not personally know the benefit of going with aftermarket sway bar end links, I do know that our car shares the same factory end links with all 09+ TSX and 09+ TL (including AWD).

So you RSB options are:

-17mm TSX RSB
-19mm UR Rear Sway Bar
-19mm Acura TL RSB
-20mm Acura TL AWD RSB
-22mm UR RSB
-22mm Progress RSB
-24mm Progress RSB (for 09+ TL)

Just so you know, someone on Acurazine who has an 09+ TL with the 24mm RSB experienced a torn rear subframe from the RSB being to large (and added stiffness). They ended up purchasing a new subframe and returning back to the factory RSB. Just something to consider.
IS there a link to this? You'd think he'd shear off the end link bolts before he'd tear the subframe.

· Registered
1,034 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
How much are upgraded rear end links? Why would changing the endlinks add aggressiveness and performance, they are meant to wobble. And a proper alignment is what is needed for performance with suspension. The only reason to get aftermarket is if yours blow out or you need quick disconnect ones.

Also with the rear subframe cracking, did anyone actually check out the torque specs of that bolt or did they just blast it in as tight as they could...

· lol wut
570 Posts
The shape of the TL bar is in fact different. The Accord/TSX bars (OEM and aftermarket) have a small bend on either side to accommodate the rear crossmember and the TL bar is straight all the way across so there will be less clearance between the sway bar and rear crossmember. So far I haven't had any issues with the decreased clearance so I think you should be fine.

Personally for me the 19mm is probably the largest sway bar I would go with. Anything thicker than that I wouldn't feel safe driving with regardless of how much more "planted" the car feels.

4,737 Posts
How much are upgraded rear end links? Why would changing the endlinks add aggressiveness and performance, they are meant to wobble. And a proper alignment is what is needed for performance with suspension. The only reason to get aftermarket is if yours blow out or you need quick disconnect ones.

Also with the rear subframe cracking, did anyone actually check out the torque specs of that bolt or did they just blast it in as tight as they could...
The dude doesn't understand what end links do and just threw money away assuming that everything OEM must be bad by default. As I said, there's no need to upgrade the endlinks unless you're breaking the OEM ones or if you have otherwise messed with the suspension: uneven coilover height (needing to adjust preload) or being so low that you need to move the sway bar angle by shortening both end links.

When ever the sway bar twists, it's pulling on those bushing mounts. Looks like 24mm is so stiff it pulls hard enough to tear the bushing mounts. Either way the sway bar isn't a "critical" safety item where failure is catastrophic.

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The shape of the TL bar is in fact different. The Accord/TSX bars (OEM and aftermarket) have a small bend on either side to accommodate the rear crossmember and the TL bar is straight all the way across so there will be less clearance between the sway bar and rear crossmember. So far I haven't had any issues with the decreased clearance so I think you should be fine.

Personally for me the 19mm is probably the largest sway bar I would go with. Anything thicker than that I wouldn't feel safe driving with regardless of how much more "planted" the car feels.
Finally, a detailed answer to my question. Thank you

Also I agree, 19mm is the biggest I would run without suspension or front sway bar changes.

· Garbo1
34 Posts
I am also thinking of changing my RSB on my 2012 V6 coupe. So will a 20mm Acura TL AWD RSB fit without any issues.
What size is the stock 2012 V6 coupe RSB? thanks

· mobiless2
2,201 Posts
I am also thinking of changing my RSB on my 2012 V6 coupe. So will a 20mm Acura TL AWD RSB fit without any issues.
What size is the stock 2012 V6 coupe RSB? thanks
Yes, OEM is 15mm

· Garbo1
34 Posts
I noticed the 20mm Acura TL AWD RSB rubbed on the Gen 9 Accords. Just want to make sure they don't rub on Gen 8 Accords.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.