Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post here, but longtime Accord owner, my Wife is anyway, I just wrench on them :)

I actually just bought an '07 coupe V6 for myself. I drive a Taco most of the time, but I was getting sick of commuting in it. My Wife's '08 V6 coupe made me jealous, it's so comfy compared to the truck.

Anyway, I just picked up a set of Hakka "R" snows from my tire guy. He gave me 205/60R16's on steel rims. Now I see that these tires are 25.7"OD where the factory Michelin's are 25.5"OD. Anyone notice the speedo reading slower than actual due to these size tire? Does anyone else here run this size tire for the winter? I just want to make sure these are the right size, I don't need any interference with the suspension components.

Thanks
I've learned a lot from reading the forum so far.
Glenn

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think winter tires has deeper tread than regular all season tires. That's why you see a .2" difference. If you have doubt with your speedo, you can always verify it with your GPS.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hakka R's - The best winter tire

I have the Hakka R's on my accord. They are by far the best winter tires I have every had. They are expensive though. I live in Canada and they can only be bought at KalTire locations. The company that makes these tires are called "Nokian".

http://www.nokiantires.com/

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Hakka R's on my accord. They are by far the best winter tires I have every had. They are expensive though. I live in Canada and they can only be bought at KalTire locations. The company that makes these tires are called "Nokian".

http://www.nokiantires.com/
Yes they are the best snow tires! I've been buying them for the last 25 years. I was just curious about that particular size on my '07 coupe. I actually just put them on this past weekend, so far no interference even lock to lock on the steering wheel.

If any of you don't know about Nokian Hakkapeliitta's I also would highly recommend them as a snow tire. In the 80's when I was a more frequent skier, I always noticed that most of the cars at the base lodge had those tires on (Northern VT). They are expensive, but they are worth it in my opinion. They are also a "green" tire, made with canola oil :)

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11949&group=1.01&name=Nokian%20Hakkapeliitta%20R

Glenn

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
Yes they are the best snow tires! I've been buying them for the last 25 years. I was just curious about that particular size on my '07 coupe. I actually just put them on this past weekend, so far no interference even lock to lock on the steering wheel.

If any of you don't know about Nokian Hakkapeliitta's I also would highly recommend them as a snow tire. In the 80's when I was a more frequent skier, I always noticed that most of the cars at the base lodge had those tires on (Northern VT). They are expensive, but they are worth it in my opinion. They are also a "green" tire, made with canola oil :)

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11949&group=1.01&name=Nokian%20Hakkapeliitta%20R

Glenn
Yep, I used these tires in the 80s too. Hakka 8s, 9s, and 10s. As did just about everyone else involved in rallying in my neck of the woods. Here in Canada they were sold under the name of the company that then made them - Nokia (not Nokian). The logo on the tires sold here was exactly the same as the one on the cell phones of the day.

It was funny when Blizzaks first came out - everyone was talking about "those new winter tires". And I responded - "I've been using dedicated winter tires for years now, what's the big deal with Blizzaks?". :lmao:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Mark, you're right, they use to say "Nokia" on them! Everyone remarked that they also made cell phones.
I forgot about that :D

My Aunt used to put them on her Audi Quattro. I remember driving her car home from Stowe, VT after a day of skiing in 6" of snow and that car NEVER slipped once.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I forgot to mention that, mine were $~145 ea. (205/60R16).
I'm running the same size on my sedan. It's factory size and I have no rubbing issues. In Canada they retail for about $900 for tires, balance, install, tire tax, gov't tax and enviromental fees.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's about what I paid out the door for a set mounted on steel rims.
My factory size is 215/50R17, so they're a little different in that respect.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That's about what I paid out the door for a set mounted on steel rims.
My factory size is 215/50R17, so they're a little different in that respect.
My price was just rubber. No rims. Prices for car stuff is so cheap in the states. Enjoy it. I buy all my parts out of the states. SO MUCH cheaper.

As for tire size, you are very close. Nothing to worry about. Your winters are a bit skinnier, therefore better in the snow. Your setup is perfect for winter and you should never get stuck with the Hakka's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great choice of winter tire. I have Hakka RSI's (predecessor to the Hakka R) on my '06 Sedan EX-L and they have been terrific. I downsized to 15" steelies and have been very happy with them. They are a few bucks more than Michelin X-Ice or Blizzaks (also great tires) but they seem to last much longer. I just put them on for their fifth winter season, which is a long time for winter tires. I liked them so much I just bought Hakka R's for my '11 Sedan EX-L V-6 and look forward to trying them out. I again downsized the tire size on the '11, this time to 16" steelies. Can't wait for some snow!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts