Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 EX-L V6 with about 30K miles. I have been having NO problems with the automatic transmission, but considering the history of Honda auto transmissions I think it wise to do some preventive maintenance.

I was planning to do a three quart drain and refill with Redline D4. I would repeat every 15K. Any reason not to do this?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Do it :thmsup:

But 1 qt drain and fill every 15K would be more than enough.
How exactly do you drain 1qt when the capacity is 3.4? :thmsup:

I think you mean 1x :thumbsup:

·
6,322 Posts
I remember reading that the best way to switchover is to do 4 drain and fills initially. Afterwards a drain/fill every 15k would be perfect. :thmsup:

Maybe you meant to say 3 drain and fills which is different than one 3 quart drain/fill.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope,

You read it correctly. I was planning on doing a one time 3 qt drain and refill at 30K. Then I was going to repeat at 7.5K intervals for a total of three drain/refills. Then I would do the 3 qt drain and refill at 30K intervals.

My thought was that the original ATF would not be too "used up" and a 50:50 mix with Redline D4 would not be a problem. Each subsequent change would reduce that ratio so by the third one, it would be mostly Redline D4.

Any reason not to do it this way? (other than the fact that residual Honda fluid will remain)

Steve

·
6,322 Posts
You read it correctly. I was planning on doing a one time 3 qt drain and refill at 30K. Then I was going to repeat at 7.5K intervals for a total of three drain/refills. Then I would do the 3 qt drain and refill at 30K intervals.

My thought was that the original ATF would not be too "used up" and a 50:50 mix with Redline D4 would not be a problem. Each subsequent change would reduce that ratio so by the third one, it would be mostly Redline D4.

Any reason not to do it this way? (other than the fact that residual Honda fluid will remain)
I used to think that way also. But changed my mind after reading some posts. I remember reading "Fredsvt" stating that the old fluid can contaminate the new fluid. The contaminants can prematurely breakdown the new fluid. Conducting uoa's on the atf after each 7.5k would probably only show minimal improvements in wear. Versus doing a complete changeover that would show excellent wear results. Going a week btwn d/f's or less would prob be optimal.

I think this is buried somewhere in this thread:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=624840&highlight=redline#post624840

1 - 9 of 9 Posts