Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in buying an Accord, but concerned about CVT transmission issues that seem to be pretty common in '13 model.

Does anyone have a '14? Do you have any issues with the CVT transmission or anything else?

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
241 Posts
To make it easier my friend. Excellent post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy View Post
So have they fixed the issue with the 2014 accords? I was considering getting one until I started looking into the issues. I have test drove two 2014s and have not noticed any issues (granted I only drove for about 5 miles). I am afraid to get one because of the CVT, but I was also unsure if the issue has been fixed.
First, may I ask what CVT problem are you referring to -- the dozen (or so) mentioned on this board? If so, you may have noticed that whatever the 12 owners were discussing in June, this thread was dead until you posted your question suggesting otherwise. Consequently, I think we can assume that whatever issue(s) the posters dealing with then, those problems probably were resolved or almost certainly we'd still be reading about them today.

(Parenthetically speaking, it's also possible you were referring to the TSB [Technical Service Bulletin] that Honda issued regarding what owners (and others) described as "flaring." If so, those issues were also discussed in this thread, and they, too, seem to have been resolved, because they haven't been the subject of discussion for some time.

However, just for the sake of discussion, let's work a few numbers to see if we can a sense of what we're talking about on this board. A dozen owners (give or take) have had some sort of CVT issues. (One of those folks, btw, busted a manual transmission Accord and later came here boasting about his 1/4-mile and top speed runs in his then-new CVT Accord; hardly your typical CVT owner in other words). But let's assume there were 12 owners with significant CVT problems or outright transmission failures.

To get a feel for this subject we need to know how many CVT Accords has Honda sold so far this year. Last time I checked -- this morning -- it was about 295,000. So, even if we assume that Honda was never able to repair the 12 transmissions in question, that works out to a failure rate of about 0.000040 percent. Frankly, Honda probably loses that many in shipping.

But, Wait! You're thinking there must have been hundreds of similar problems but those Accord owners didn't know about this board, so we don't know about their problems. OK, let's go with that: Let's speculate that there were, say, 1000 times that failure rate out there in Internet land. Twelve thousand (12k) owners, in other words. That still only works out to about 0.04 percent.

Of course, if there were 12,000 dead 2013 CVT Accords, you can be damn sure we would have heard and read about it by now. I certainly haven't, and I've looked. So, to respond to your question (i.e., "Have they fixed the issue with the 2014 (sic) Accords?"), I humbly suggest your premise is wrong; that there wasn't a CVT problem of statistical significance with the 2013 Accords, and, consequently, it's a pretty safe bet that the 2014s will perform as least as well, if not better. You might want to join the 35k who'll buy one this month.

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
Interested in buying an Accord, but concerned about CVT transmission issues that seem to be pretty common in '13 model.

Does anyone have a '14? Do you have any issues with the CVT transmission or anything else?

Thanks,
George
You're the second person today to ask a CVT question, though you ask the question differently. Anyway, here's the reply I left for the other inquirer:

So have they fixed the issue with the 2014 accords? I was considering getting one until I started looking into the issues. I have test drove two 2014s and have not noticed any issues (granted I only drove for about 5 miles) I am afraid to get one because of the CVT, but I was also unsure if the issue has been fixed.
This is a very fair question for a potential buyer given

(1) the magnitude of this issue (it affects potentially 350,000+ Accords according to the TSB),
(2) the major nature of the fix (opening transmission and replacing components along with new control software), and
(3) the fact that people with juddering cars really really hated it!

The quick answer to your question is Honda has incorporated this fix in all cars beyond those listed in the TSB, so in that sense the issue is fixed. However if you read all judder related posts on this forum you'll notice there have been some folks with VIN numbers outside the TSB range who say they also have some degree of juddering as well. Based on those comments I would hesitate to say Honda has quashed the problem once and for all. One important thing to note is that not everyone with cars covered by the TSB had a judder problem, meaning the original design seemed to work for some and not for others. Well the same thing could be true for the judder fix used in newer cars, it may work for some but not for others. It may be Honda has significantly reduced the number of judder issues with the fix, however there may still be a few cars that for whatever reason still exhibit this issue (as evidenced by a few reports here outside the VIN range).

So I'd say if you are really concerned about this you might want to sit back and wait while monitoring this and other forums for feedback on the newer 2014 models, if you can wait to get a new car. You could also mention the problem to your dealer and ask them to let you have an extended test drive, or maybe even an overnight loaner. You would particularly want to see how it drives first thing in the morning after a cold start. It also seems that driving in ECON mode with A/C ON helps to show judder if it's there.

BTW, feel free to ask these kinds of important questions in the future, no one wants to spend $25k for something they aren't going to like or that has unresolved problems, so don't let one or two people deter you!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Waiting for 2014 owners to see how many start complaining about the CVT juddering.

At least the 2014 Hybrid comes with E-CVT so it will likely not have the same issues, but may different ones. :(

·
Banned
308 Posts
Waiting for 2014 owners to see how many start complaining about the CVT juddering.

At least the 2014 Hybrid comes with E-CVT so it will likely not have the same issues, but may different ones. :(
I test drove one on Saturday and it had noticeable judder starting out with my wife's feather-light touch on the gas. I don't know why it happens, it was almost like the CVT didn't know what to do so it overreacted ON OFF ON OFF. I didn't notice it as much when I was more "purposeful" on the pedal :D

·
Banned
308 Posts
If it has a judder....take it in!

That's the point of a warranty...
Yes and no. We need to figure out if the "judder" is a natural part of the way the CVT works or whether it is indeed a defect. Hard to do unless the same driver drives different cars all in the same situation. One man's "judder" may be another man's "slight hesitation" may be another man's "what? I didn't notice that"

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
No judders here after the TSB was performed.

I would assume all 2014's get the new valvebody and the ECU update.

·
Banned
308 Posts
No judders here after the TSB was performed.

I would assume all 2014's get the new valvebody and the ECU update.
Unfortunately I failed to notice whether my test drive car was a '13 or a '14 as we had 2 kids with us and I was in a super rush.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Yes and no. We need to figure out if the "judder" is a natural part of the way the CVT works or whether it is indeed a defect. Hard to do unless the same driver drives different cars all in the same situation. One man's "judder" may be another man's "slight hesitation" may be another man's "what? I didn't notice that"
True and that's my point. It's going to be impossible to predict who has judder, what exactly is 'judder' and when it is or is NOT okay to take it in. A lot of variables. I see what you're saying though :thmsup:

At low speeds, say when I'm going through a school zone (25mph) and I hit the gas normally from that speed I get a little judder or stutter until about 30mph or so and then it seems smooth. Almost feels like when you're in too high of a gear and your RPM's are too low....like it's cutting in and out, in and out...then it goes smoothly. I'm assuming that's some sort of 'judder' that most are talking about.

I need to take mine in anyways for the transmission engagement delay that some on here have recently encountered. I got a video of it so they can't really deny that it happened, plus there are cases of it now so it's a real thing that Honda acknowledges.

·
Banned
308 Posts
True and that's my point. It's going to be impossible to predict who has judder, what exactly is 'judder' and when it is or is NOT okay to take it in. A lot of variables. I see what you're saying though :thmsup:

At low speeds, say when I'm going through a school zone (25mph) and I hit the gas normally from that speed I get a little judder or stutter until about 30mph or so and then it seems smooth. Almost feels like when you're in too high of a gear and your RPM's are too low....like it's cutting in and out, in and out...then it goes smoothly. I'm assuming that's some sort of 'judder' that most are talking about.

I need to take mine in anyways for the transmission engagement delay that some on here have recently encountered. I got a video of it so they can't really deny that it happened, plus there are cases of it now so it's a real thing that Honda acknowledges.
Our most noticeable judder was pulling away SLOWLY from a stop. My wife would just lightly press on the pedal, (like a woman who is worried that she is driving someone else's car and doesn't want to do anything crazy you know like actually hit the pedal to the metal :paranoid:) and the car was kicking...one two three times before it got moving smoothly......

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Hm. Well mine doesn't happen like that from a stop (I don't think....crap...now I'm going to look for it lol), but it happens like I stated above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought a '13 EX coupe last Monday with CVT. I test drove two prior so I felt as if I had some time to get used to the CVT but did not notice any oddities. After putting 300 miles on my car I can't say I've noticed the "judder" that others describe but there are certain oddities that I think may just be inherent to the design. I get the "lurch" that others have described prior to accelerating coming out of a reverse or park.

None of this really bothers me because I chalk it up to operating how it was designed to, which was primarily to save fuel. My car does fall outside the VIN ranges for the TSBs, and I think the only thing that bothers me is that there seems to be very inconsistent acceleration pickup from drive to drive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cvt

Bought a '13 EX coupe last Monday with CVT. I test drove two prior so I felt as if I had some time to get used to the CVT but did not notice any oddities. After putting 300 miles on my car I can't say I've noticed the "judder" that others describe but there are certain oddities that I think may just be inherent to the design. I get the "lurch" that others have described prior to accelerating coming out of a reverse or park.

None of this really bothers me because I chalk it up to operating how it was designed to, which was primarily to save fuel. My car does fall outside the VIN ranges for the TSBs, and I think the only thing that bothers me is that there seems to be very inconsistent acceleration pickup from drive to drive.
I took delivery of my EX-L with Navi in July, have almost 7000 miles on the car and I am completely satisfied with the transmission. At times, I can almost feel it "shift" when accelerating. Nothing out of the ordinary to report.

·
Registered
5 Posts
and only 3 weeks old

I bought my 2014 Honda Accord, automatic CVT, three weeks ago. Today, the car has on it just about 350 miles. Tonight I came online to google if there were problems with the 2014 Honda transmissions ... because about a week ago I began to wonder if something was wrong with this car's transmission. I'm sickened by what I'm reading. So in answer to your question, no the problem is not yet fixed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 2014 Sport CVT and it will judder very slightly (very,very slightly) when I first pull away on a cold morning - then that's it, even if I park it for hours and then drive again. If I didn't know about the juddering issue I probably wouldn't even have noticed - blame this forum :)

I have actually grown to love the transmission as it accelerates so smoothly and without the snatch /jerk of a traditional auto box, and yes there is also a faint turbine winding down sound as you come to a full stop.

If I was buying another Accord tomorrow I would get a Sport CVT without hesitation. In my opinion it's the pick of the range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my 2014 Accord EX-L about 2 months ago and the CVT and it has performed great. No judder, just smooth as silk.
Good luck with your research.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Paranoia: A thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.

http://automobiles.honda.com/information/frequently-asked-questions.aspx?Question=37

Moreover, if history is prologue (and it is), and by some freak of nature it turns out that there is some chronic, fundamental flaw in the design and/or operating characteristics of this CVT, Honda will do what was done in the 90s: namely, rebuild or replace transmissions when necessary and provide a warranty for an additional 100k miles.

Finally, in my experience, virtually no one signs on to this board to say, "Golly gee, my Honda is running swell." To the contrary, at least half the time someone first shows up it's because he or she has a problem of some sort, s/he reads half a dozen posts from other owners and then declares their car is junk and end of the world is at hand. I guess that's inevitable, but the likelihood of either is pretty remote. Carry on!

1 - 20 of 145 Posts