Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Honda Accord LX 2007 Sedan
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From my previous post about replacing all of my suspension - having a little difficulty figuring out the steering rack. Thought I'd make a separate post so that it'd make things easier for anybody else looking about for this. Original steering rack has been leaking fluid everywhere. Checking other various honda accord forums and I haven't been able to really pinpoint what others usually do or how long the backorder for the steering rack can last.

OEM Steering rack seems to be on backorder/out of stock everywhere. I see it's still in stock in one or two honda part sites 53601-SDB-A11. But I think if I order it, then they will just email me saying its backordered and ask if I want to continue and wait the unknown time to restock or cancel the order.

So the only option here seems to be an aftermarket rack.
1) Remanufactured rack or 2) generic car part brand rack.
Anybody here who's figured out the best option to go for? I was thinking rack doctor since I saw that recommendation, but apparently rack doctor is terrible now.

Maybe theres a better steering rack somewhere? One that's a proven upgrade from the honda accord OEM if I opt to buy aftermarket?

Anyways, I already replaced the O rings on my lines/pump. Since I needed to do that anyways so if anyone doesn't know about that, well now you know. Replace the O rings as the stock ones go bad and can cause leaks on the lines / pump.

Hope I can find some answers here, and for others.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also just this morning my car failed to start cold SMH... I'm really thinking its the power steering leaking that's causing it. I gotta take a deeper look and see if the pump is damaged too from driving it so long like this..

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
534 Posts
Might look at the return lines and those wire clamps. They can leak on the rack making you think your rack is bad. I’d replace all the rubber hoses to and from with a better quality clamp. Even if the rack was leak internally, if there is no play in the steering, you can buy a lot of time AT-205 stop leak.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might look at the return lines and those wire clamps. They can leak on the rack making you think your rack is bad. I’d replace all the rubber hoses to and from with a better quality clamp. Even if the rack was leak internally, if there is no play in the steering, you can buy a lot of time AT-205 stop leak.
Yeah I already replaced my hoses and O rings. Only thing I haven't changed is my pump. My steering rack does seem to be leaking still. I'll clean it all up and hopefully get a better idea of where it is

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Been searching for a good bit now for a good place to find a steering rack for my LX V6 2007 Accord.

Just a huge headache, OEM steering rack is seemingly discontinued (with good reason since I'm guessing over 50% of accords have steering rack isssues). Can't purchase them from any honda part site. part#53601-SDB-A11

I know people say that sites simply put discontinued when they're out of stock/national backordered until they come back, but I don't know if that's the case here...

Aftermarket steering racks are looking bad. Just many reviews about how its a hit or miss... Detroit axle, remanufactured racks, ect... I've probably looked at a good few without a different story in their reviews.

What can we do? Does anybody know any good source? Any upgrade from the current steering rack maybe? Acura steering rack that can fit and might be better?

Im willing to spend the money just for the OEM honda rack if they had it brand new just so I know it's reliable. I just want a good steering rack out here.

It's a shame. Should I just wait it out and get the OEM accord rack when it comes back. What has everybody else done? Just flip the coin and get a aftermarket steering rack?

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm also considering taking the old steering rack and finding a place to "patch it" up. Don't know if there's any place in San Antonio where I can just walk it in and get it fixed somehow... I don't know, somebody who knows better please help if you can. Especially if there are people who have found out if the acura racks can work.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Bought some ATf 205 stop leak. hopefully it holds up until I can figure out what to do with the rack

· Registered
2005 Accord EX
169 Posts
I would totally disagree about 50% of Honda Accords having steering rack issues. OEMs don't stock tons of parts like steering racks because they rarely fail. So, given the small number stocked, it should not be surprising after all these years that the stock has been depleted. My dealership mistook a front CV joint issue for a steering rack issue. They replaced it, but naturally that didn't solve the issue. I got the CV joint parts and labor for free (which cost more), because I pointed out their diagnosis was faulty. So there was a steering rack replaced when it did not need replacement. There went one more from the OEM stock.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would totally disagree about 50% of Honda Accords having steering rack issues. OEMs don't stock tons of parts like steering racks because they rarely fail. So, given the small number stocked, it should not be surprising after all these years that the stock has been depleted. My dealership mistook a front CV joint issue for a steering rack issue. They replaced it, but naturally that didn't solve the issue. I got the CV joint parts and labor for free (which cost more), because I pointed out their diagnosis was faulty. So there was a steering rack replaced when it did not need replacement. There went one more from the OEM stock.
Maybe thats the case then. I took care of the pump hosing and o rings thinking it might be the problem but turns out mysteering rack was leaking too. Thought I remember reading a lot of cases and opinions that the steering rack was faulty.

Still don't know what to do other than just wait for it to come back, unless it's just gone now that it's out of stock.

· Registered
2005 Accord EX
169 Posts
Try a junkyard. Maybe find one from an Accord which wasn't hit in the front with low miles. I don't know if you have considered that route. Could also ask the dealer what source they would consider using when this OEM part isn't available.

· Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
825 Posts
Have you tried draining the old fluid and replacing it with fresh, genuine Honda fluid? My rack had a minor leak out of the driver side, and after removing the old fluid and replacing it with fresh fluid about 8 months ago, the leak hasn't come back. If nothing else it's cheap, under $10 a bottle plus a $15 hand pump.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you tried draining the old fluid and replacing it with fresh, genuine Honda fluid? My rack had a minor leak out of the driver side, and after removing the old fluid and replacing it with fresh fluid about 8 months ago, the leak hasn't come back. If nothing else it's cheap, under $10 a bottle plus a $15 hand pump.
yeah I'll try that and some ATF 205

· Registered
671 Posts
Take the rack out and then to a machinist for an inspection and rebuild. If it just needs seals then that's not a big deal. Unlikely that the rack or pinion are damaged.

But give it to the machinist very clean and tidy. You don't want his hourly rate for cleaning operations.

· Prefers to shift his own gears
1,136 Posts
I've only put 4k on my car since replacing my rack with a Cardone reman unit so I can't tell you longevity wise how this reman unit will last, but I did have a Cardone reman power steering pump that lasted almost 700k.

Not only did I have leaking from my original rack, but in recent months I also had some slight noise when turning my steering wheel. I wasn't entirely sure if the problem was a bearing in the steering column or a bearing in the rack. The noise was coming from the rack because it's gone now after replacing the rack.

I don't know if any Acura units cross over for our cars or not. If not, you'll probably have to go with either a salvage car, reman, or new non-OEM if you need to get you car back on the road.

I had an OEM axle on backorder for nearly a year. The dealers probably have no idea how long the backorder will last.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts