Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2013 Sport 6MT and recently got a 2015 AT EX-L V6 Coupe. Is there anyway to hold first gear longer in sport mode, anyone make a tune for better shifting?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Perhaps I’m wrong, but doesn’t the V6-coupe have paddle shifters which allow you to hold any gear to redline? How far from redline is your auto shifting now and how much higher would you like it go?

·
Registered
615 Posts
inb4 manual drivers go "buy a manual it'll hold gear just fine ;)"

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
Currently there is not, but I really hope if Ktuner does release a V6 AT tune he finds a way to flash whatever control unit limits the paddle shifters from holding first.

The paddle shifters are pretty neat on the V6, you can double tap quickly to downshift a couple gears (eg 5 to 3) and it responds pretty quick. Upshifts are a different story, but downshifting is all that matters to me.

I'm pretty sure they don't allow it to protect the transmission.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Currently there is not, but I really hope if Ktuner does release a V6 AT tune he finds a way to flash whatever control unit limits the paddle shifters from holding first.

The paddle shifters are pretty neat on the V6, you can double tap quickly to downshift a couple gears (eg 5 to 3) and it responds pretty quick. Upshifts are a different story, but downshifting is all that matters to me.

I'm pretty sure they don't allow it to protect the transmission.
Question time for me. Are you saying that if you select sport mode and use the paddle shifters to hold the transmission in 1st gear all the way to redline, the computer will still shift gears for you? It won’t hold first gear? Will it hold second gear?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Question time for me. Are you saying that if you select sport mode and use the paddle shifters to hold the transmission in 1st gear all the way to redline, the computer will still shift gears for you? It won’t hold first gear? Will it hold second gear?
It won't hold first gear in manual mode with paddle shifters. The computer still shifts to 2nd about the same time it does in full auto mode (which is early), then it will hold 2nd gear until further intervention with the paddles.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
So it will let you hit the rev limiter in 2nd but not first?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yes, can hit the rev limiter in 2nd- in both full auto or in manual mode with the paddles.

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
Yep, when you try to downshift it just flashes M2 on the dash, letting you know it won't allow the downshift. In any other gear it will let me bounce off the rev limiter until your engine blows or you run out of gas.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I think part of the reason is that because it is short first gear goes by very quickly and can hit the rev limiter very hard. In other words if you shift down to 6,000 rpm in first get a little more oomph for passing you would only have a few tenths of a second before you hit the limiter. In taller gears this is less of a problem because the revs don't increase as quickly.

I know that the Mazda 3 Turbo would limit hp in first gear partly for this reason.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
The Mazdadpeed limits HP in the first 3 gears ;)
It doesn't limit HP per se, but unless you do a WOT launch and have good traction it will shift early. I've got it up to 5000 I think, not sure.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have a sedan, so I don't have manual control over any of the gears. All I have is Sport mode with no paddles. I do find it aggravating that, even in Sport mode, the transmission upshifts into 2nd very early unless you pin the throttle. As you know, pinning the throttle in these cars will eat the front tires alive all the way through 1st. At least if you could hold 1st gear, you could make a turn without roasting the tires and then ease into the throttle once you straighten out. I miss being able to do that. When I had my 8th gen I4, I pretty much had to manually select 1st gear if I needed to make a turn into fast-moving traffic in order to not get rear-ended due to an early upshift into 2nd and a complete loss of momentum. The V6 can still get out of its own way in 2nd at low speeds, but I still wish I could hold 1st at times. I guess Honda really doesn't want the added stress on the tranny of a redline shift in the fairly short first gear. After all of the issues with the 4AT and 5AT, I can't say I blame them. My 7G V6's 5AT was exhibiting signs of premature failure when I traded it in with only 23k miles or so. It would clunk hard when shifting at WOT.

What I really worry about in these new V6's is the torque converter. Mine does the infamous (from the 6G days at least) slip and bang when the transmission is cold. But the service department can't duplicate the issue because it only happens to me when I leave work and no other time. Not even in my neighborhood. I guess I'll have to wait until it completely fails to get anything done :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Came here to say there is a way. I have the accord coupe and this has always bothered me as i felt it would be so much faster if it held the first gear. So what you do is come to a complete stop and using the paddleshifters put it into 2nd while stopped. Then accelerate and when you hit 7mph downshift into 1st. It will hold as long as you like.

Let me know how it works for you guys.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts