Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
TH23 - I also have a white '14 EXL-V6 which I bought new on 2/1/15. I noticed the same issue with the torque converter when the tranny was cold and it was under 60 degrees outside. Is this indicative of early failure? IT's been doing this since the day I drove it off the lot.

I have yet to bring the car in for any servicing but can't duplicate it until next winter as it's going to be hot (at least 80 degrees) where I live for the next 7 months and the likelihood of the problem duplicating (unless it completely fails) is minimal.

My questions; why does that problem only happen when it's cold? Is this a common or widespread issue? Since this is the drivetrain also used in larger/more heavier-duty vehicles (Pilot, Odyssey and Ridgeline), are they also exhibiting the same issue?

My parents and I all had '03 and '04 V6 Accords with the 5A. Their's were recalled due to the 2nd gear issue, mine was not. I ran mine up to 100K miles and traded it in for my '14 without incident; they still have theirs (40K and 45K miles on their 03 and 04) and have not exhibited any failure.

Also, as an aside, I'm floored how the car can be designed without having the ability to hold the car down in gear. Forget about the "fun" factor, it can be a safety issue as well. Driving through mountainous terrain requires the ability to slow the car via a lower gear instead of burning up the brakes and causing brake failure.

Thanks imw5362 - unfortunately for us sedan V6 owners, we don't get the paddle shifters. We only have the option of "D" or "S" in our gear shifter. "D" is normal drive mode while the sport mode "S" just holds the car in lower gear longer (not even to red line) and locks out 6th gear completely.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
This reminds me when I was shopping the TL Type S vs a TSX... Sportshift would allow you to hit readline in 1st in the TSX... but the TL would only start in 2nd gear... its there to protect the tranny... no need to rev the pi$$ out of a V6 the power is all there below 5000 RPM.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Question, if you opted for a V6 Coupe and YOU know HOW to drive manual...

WHY? May I ask, you not get a Manual? I understand if you had got the Sedan (No Choice there) but the Coupe... Common. BUT to each their own.

I digress. I thought Paddle Shifters were good enough when I got my Sport.. After a year of driving (well I noticed after a month or so) that it will never compare. Thus the switch is happening in less than 10 days :) Back to 6MT I go.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yeah the engine loves to upshift, it will actually do 40 mph in 6th gear when youre crusing lol.

But I downshift when I need to access more power.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Also, as an aside, I'm floored how the car can be designed without having the ability to hold the car down in gear. Forget about the "fun" factor, it can be a safety issue as well. Driving through mountainous terrain requires the ability to slow the car via a lower gear instead of burning up the brakes and causing brake failure.

agreed. I don't need paddle shifters, just a "1", "2" gear selector would suffice, like even autos on economy cars from the 80s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question, if you opted for a V6 Coupe and YOU know HOW to drive manual...

WHY? May I ask, you not get a Manual? I understand if you had got the Sedan (No Choice there) but the Coupe... Common. BUT to each their own.

I digress. I thought Paddle Shifters were good enough when I got my Sport.. After a year of driving (well I noticed after a month or so) that it will never compare. Thus the switch is happening in less than 10 days :) Back to 6MT I go.

The White Accord V6 coupes are not made with manual, but I cannot speak for any other color

21 - 26 of 26 Posts