Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my apartment complex is in the process of a full repainting project of the exteriors of all the buildings. The painters started on a building they weren't supposed to, so everybody's cars were still out front uncovered, and they got spray paint mist all over about 25-30 cars, mine included.

They're paying to have a local shop come and detail the exterior of everyone's cars. Mine was done yesterday, and I didn't have enough light to really have a through look at the job. They were successful with the painted portions of my car, I really have no complaints about all the areas of actual car paint, but a close look shows that there's still noticeable traces of spray paint on some of the rubber/plastic portions such as what runs from the windshield along the door frame to the rear window, the front Honda logo area, my headlights, the lining of the front window, etc. Also, a few very small areas (an 2-3 inch x .75 inch long strip by my side back window, etc) on my car are missing clear coat already so the spray paint did not come off those areas very well at all.

I talked with the guys who did the detailing and their opinion was that to a certain degree some things are located in areas or at angles that make it extremely difficult if not impossible to remove spray paint. That leads to my questions:
  1. Is it possible to remove the paint from these areas?
  2. Should I request another shop that specializes in such things do it?
  3. If it's not possible to fully remove or restore to previous condition certain areas, should I seek compensation for damages from the construction company?
  4. Over 6 years time, clearly my paint job is not what it once was -- I don't have any way of establishing what my car was like before, so it makes it difficult to prove a whole lot, even though I know certain areas are not what they once were prior to this spray paint incident.
I'm not looking for a free paint job and I'm not looking to frivolously pull in money from these contractors, but at the same time, my car did not have building spray paint on it before and now it does, and I am in no way okay with that.

Edit: Here's the pics after the damage but before the detailing. Car looks incredibly dirty because the complex sprinkler system was going at a bad time and the minerals in the water left water spots all over the car. Ignore that part, you can clearly see the paint. Click thumbnail for the full picture, and click it again for the full sized image on Imageshack. I'll have the after shots up when I get a chance.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Judging by the color of your car in your avatar, you DO NOT have clear coat! So any and all of the errant paint can be buffed/polished off your red color paint.

What kind of paint was it that the building contractor used? Solvent based? Water based? 2-parts epoxy based? Solvent based paint can be removed from moldings and rubber with paint thinner and the sooner you do this the easier for the paint to come off, but be careful not to use too strong a solvent (such as acetone) on plastic parts such as your headlight since the solvent could etch into the material, water based or 2-parts paint will have to be scrubbed/sanded/polished off.

The construction company is fully responsible to rectify the damage they caused to the degree your car was in just prior to this botched building spray painting.....

Also thread is moved to Problems and Solutions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only have pictures of the paint initially after the damage but before the detailing, but I'll be getting pictures of the additional issues soon. I'm not too clear (heh) on what exactly my car's paint was before, I'm just going off what the detail guys told me.

I don't have information on what kind of exterior paint they used but I'll try to find that out too.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
how do you tell by the avatar that he doesn't have CC?

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
how do you tell by the avatar that he doesn't have CC?
The San Marino Red and the Taffeta White paint from Honda are solid colors and therefore not covered with clear coat as would be with the metallic paint for other colors used by Honda when painting the Accords.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Talk to your building manager, and then talk to the contracting company. Their insurance company should cover all the paint issues. I wouldn't in NO way take a detailing job on my car unless it did fix the issue, which in your case it didn't. I know you don't wait to repaint the car, but from the photos, it looks like some serious work will have to be done.

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts
Take lots of pic's with a good camera, before any thing else is done. Looks like a re-paint is coming soon. Paint on glass will come off with a razor & fine steel wool. Paint on body might not come completely off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So my apartment complex is in the process of a full repainting project of the exteriors of all the buildings. The painters started on a building they weren't supposed to, so everybody's cars were still out front uncovered, and they got spray paint mist all over about 25-30 cars, mine included.

They're paying to have a local shop come and detail the exterior of everyone's cars. Mine was done yesterday, and I didn't have enough light to really have a through look at the job. They were successful with the painted portions of my car, I really have no complaints about all the areas of actual car paint, but a close look shows that there's still noticeable traces of spray paint on some of the rubber/plastic portions such as what runs from the windshield along the door frame to the rear window, the front Honda logo area, my headlights, the lining of the front window, etc. Also, a few very small areas (an 2-3 inch x .75 inch long strip by my side back window, etc) on my car are missing clear coat already so the spray paint did not come off those areas very well at all.

I talked with the guys who did the detailing and their opinion was that to a certain degree some things are located in areas or at angles that make it extremely difficult if not impossible to remove spray paint. That leads to my questions:
  1. Is it possible to remove the paint from these areas?
  2. Should I request another shop that specializes in such things do it?
  3. If it's not possible to fully remove or restore to previous condition certain areas, should I seek compensation for damages from the construction company?
  4. Over 6 years time, clearly my paint job is not what it once was -- I don't have any way of establishing what my car was like before, so it makes it difficult to prove a whole lot, even though I know certain areas are not what they once were prior to this spray paint incident.
I'm not looking for a free paint job and I'm not looking to frivolously pull in money from these contractors, but at the same time, my car did not have building spray paint on it before and now it does, and I am in no way okay with that.

Edit: Here's the pics after the damage but before the detailing. Car looks incredibly dirty because the complex sprinkler system was going at a bad time and the minerals in the water left water spots all over the car. Ignore that part, you can clearly see the paint. Click thumbnail for the full picture, and click it again for the full sized image on Imageshack. I'll have the after shots up when I get a chance.

nah man they gotta fix that man , even if its a new paint job do it hommie, ALMOST the same thing happend to me , some guys were working on a house and they broke my rear passanger window but they didnt leave a note, lucky i forgot something in my car i went back and they tryed to say it wasnt them, but they ended up paying for my new window

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
My next door neighbor was painting something in his driveway and the spray mist settled on the Prelude @#$%&! The Prelude was in the garage but the door was open and that was enough. I don't drive the Lude everyday so it was a few days before I realized what had happened.

Clay bar removed the paint. I'm not sure how heavy the coat is on your car but clay bar might work. I used both clay bars that came in the package and dicarded them afterwards. Try a small spot and see if it works. If you've never clayed your car, you'll be doing it a big favor anyway. :) Remember that any wax will come off, too, so you'll have to put a good quality waz on afterwards. Try a small spot and see if it works. Don't forget to do the glass also...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
x2, Clay bar will work wonders on the car. Give it a good hand wash beforehand, and when it's dry run your palm along some parts of the car. It'll still feel a bit rough, like very fine sandpaper. You're feeling embedded contaminants in the paint. Claybar will remove this, as well as any overspray such as what happened to you. Try it out, it should work on the glass and painted surfaces. I don't know about the plastic portions, though.

EDIT: The detailer should've done this during the detail. Ask him exactly what he did.

Simplified, a proper detail has 4 steps:
1. Wash
2. Claybar
3. Polish
4. Seal

First two steps are meant to completely clean the paint. That should've taken care of the overspray. Polishing a car actually takes off a VERY small amount of clear coat, so you're left with a smooth and flat surface free of scratches and swirls (for the most part). The last step is protecting the paint with a good sealant or wax.

I'd double check to see if this is what the detailer did, because in all honestly a full detail can mean a lot of things. I once worked for a detail company who's version of a full detail was vaccuuming the interior and wiping tire shine on all the interior surfaces, and then rinsing the exterior of the car and wiping it down with a California Blade. :shrug:

That's why it's important to know exactly what the "detailer" will be doing.

·
02-SE
356 Posts
The San Marino Red and the Taffeta White paint from Honda are solid colors and therefore not covered with clear coat as would be with the metallic paint for other colors used by Honda when painting the Accords.
I don't want to start anything, but that is a completely false statement. especially on the newer accords like this one. I can see that on 2002 and older, but not a newer one like this one. Most every car now a days comes with a clear coat no matter what. you normally don't find cars on the road 2000 and newer without. Again I don't want to start anything.
EDIT: You can click on his pictures and clearly see the reflection of a nicely kept clear coat.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
I don't want to start anything, but that is a completely false statement. especially on the newer accords like this one. I can see that on 2002 and older, but not a newer one like this one. Most every car now a days comes with a clear coat no matter what. you normally don't find cars on the road 2000 and newer without. Again I don't want to start anything.
EDIT: You can click on his pictures and clearly see the reflection of a nicely kept clear coat.
Oh Really?! :paranoid:

See the .pdf from Honda in post #4 of this thread http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28307, if the official Honda Service Bulletin isn't convincing enough, then I guess I can't provide any further supporting evidence.........

The chart clearly shows that ALL metallic or pearl paint colors have clear coat applied over the base coat, there is a reason for this since the factory base coat comes out a bit on the "flat" side, the clear coat protects the dull-ish finish, adds the shine, and provides UV protection for the base color coat.

The Taffeta White and San Marino Red (that OP's car has) for the Accord models are solid colors of conventional single stage formulation and Honda has deemed unnecessary to apply clear coat over these two colors for the Accord models as listed in the .pdf file.

As well, I highly doubt that anyone can tell under a diffused overcast sky if there is clear coat, or not, just from looking at the pictures.

·
Registered
46 Posts
are there any other colors used by honda that do not have clearcoat i have the black hawk pearl, now im getting worried lol

·
6,322 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts