Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Long time reader, first time poster. I tried googling the answer and searching on the forums but to no luck.

I'm thinking about getting an Apple watch, but have heard others with other cars having issues with the in car bluetooth. Does anyone here have an Apple watch? Does the Accord connect to the phone still upon ignition? And if the iPhone can connect to both the car and watch at the same time, which device will phone calls come through on?

Thanks all!

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,224 Posts
The iwatch itself cannot make calls or txt; thus connection must be initiated through the iphone. Anything can happen on the phone will relay to the watch solely for its supported features.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Hello All,

Long time reader, first time poster. I tried googling the answer and searching on the forums but to no luck.

I'm thinking about getting an Apple watch, but have heard others with other cars having issues with the in car bluetooth. Does anyone here have an Apple watch? Does the Accord connect to the phone still upon ignition? And if the iPhone can connect to both the car and watch at the same time, which device will phone calls come through on?

Thanks all!
I have the following combination: '15 Accord Sport, iPhone 6 running iOS 8.3, and an Apple Watch Sport.

I've had the watch for a week now.

From my perspective, the Watch improves the overall experience inside the car. Here's how it works:

The phone still connects automatically to the car. No change at all. The watch is always paired to the phone when in range so there are no problems. I'm also not sure the watch is using BlueTooth but the good news is I don't have to think about it. You don't have to do anything to get the watch to pair to the phone (once you've done the initial pairing).

Nothing has changed in how my iPhone acts inside the car. But now I have an easier, and better way of using Siri. Better because with just the iPhone, the only way to invoke Siri is to push and hold the home button on the phone. But if I'm listening to the radio I don't get any audio confirmation tone that Siri is listening so I'm always getting the timing wrong - speaking too early or too late. Frustrating.

But with the watch, I can push and hold the digital crown which kicks Siri in. I get the taptic feedback on my wrist that Siri is listening. I can then say "Call my wife", "Navigate to ....", or any other Siri command. The only problem is that the audio source isn't muted so if there is someone talking on the radio, Siri will pick that up. So I've learned to turn the radio down and then use Siri on the watch.

If I initiate a call on my watch, it stays on my watch. But the iMid shows the call and has "Transfer" selected, ready for me to push the select knob which will transfer the call off of my watch and to the car's audio system. I've attached a picture of what the iMid looks like when I initiate a call on my watch.

So bottom line, no problems using the watch in my 9th Gen. And it makes the experience slightly better.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much! Exactly what I needed to know. Picking up my apple watch tomorrow!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You're welcome. And to circle back and answer one of your original questions.

When I have an incoming call, there are now three ways I can answer the call. Where the call goes depends on how I answer it. If I use the steering wheel control to answer, the call is answered through the cars audio system. If I instead answer the call on the phone by clicking on the green icon, the call is answered on the phone only and is not audible on the car's audio system. If I answer the call on my watch, it will stay on the watch.

When I get an incoming call, the watch will ring as well as the car's audio system.

And lastly if I answer the call on the watch or the phone directly, I can use the "Transfer" function to transfer the call to the car's audio system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got my new Apple Watch and it works as promised!

Very convenient, and I'm glad it works seamlessly with the car.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
This is great news my wife just got me an Apple Watch. Glad to know it won't cause connectivity issues with my car.

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
You're welcome. And to circle back and answer one of your original questions.

When I have an incoming call, there are now three ways I can answer the call. Where the call goes depends on how I answer it. If I use the steering wheel control to answer, the call is answered through the cars audio system. If I instead answer the call on the phone by clicking on the green icon, the call is answered on the phone only and is not audible on the car's audio system. If I answer the call on my watch, it will stay on the watch.

When I get an incoming call, the watch will ring as well as the car's audio system.

And lastly if I answer the call on the watch or the phone directly, I can use the "Transfer" function to transfer the call to the car's audio system.
Now, that's what I call practical. Doesn't the watch vibrate? That'd tick me off every other call because I won't be expecting it lol I'm sure it can be turned off though. Considering buying myself one in the not-too-distant future

1 - 9 of 9 Posts