Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Approximately how long will a clutch last in the 7th generation Accord?

23K views 78 replies 41 participants last post by  StorminMatt 
I am the 4th owner of my car so I can't be sure the clutch was never replaced. However, I am fairly certain that I am still on the original clutch at 158,400 miles. It still works fine and I do not go easy on it a lot of the time. Also, this was my first manual car and I stalled the hell out of it and grinded gears about 100 times before I got it down but it still works fine. I am convinced Honda manual drivetrains are bulletproof.

I already have a replacement clutch for when this one fails. It's lookin like that won't be for at least another 50,000 miles though. :thumbsup:

I'm at almost 100k miles and I still teach people to drive standard on my car and it's super easy to stall in first. I'd hope to get at least 200k miles out of a Honda OEM clutch as long as you make relatively smooth and quick shifts.

While on the subject of clutches, what are the general thought on double clutching? I don't down shift unless on a back road going in to a corner but I do rev-match it first. I'm wondering about just general driving though how many use double clutching?
I don't quite understand. Are you saying that you never have the need to downshift during daily driving, or that you don't double clutch when you downshift?

Unless I'm in stop-and-go traffic, I double clutch almost all the time.

And during daily driving I almost never downshift except for hills, but not many here, we just blast through hills and make flat roads. I leave enough space that I can normally pop it in neutral and let the car slow down naturally and if I have to slow down faster then I just start breaking early but gently.

The only time I downshift is when on back dirt roads or camp roads that are windy or hilly and that's more for just fun.
I just don't get it. Are there not times where you have to slow down significantly and not stop but keep on rolling. I find myself downshifting quite often. I will only coast in neutral when within 100 feet of a stop sign or red light, otherwise I stay in gear. As long as you are matching your revs well enough when up or down shifting you are not hurting the clutch. I have gotten pretty good and can smoothly shift back and forth between gears without changing speed. Also, what do you do for speedbumps? Do you stop completely before going over them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.