Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Approximately how long will a clutch last in the 7th generation Accord?

23K views 78 replies 41 participants last post by  StorminMatt 
#1 ·
I have the 2004 Honda Accord V-6 with the six speed 3.0 litre engine.

To my knowledge, the clutch in my car is the original one, and my car is getting close to 82,000 miles on the odometer. I always drive the car very carefully, I will drive fast for pleasure, but I never do things like burnouts and clutch dumps or anything like that. About two years ago when I purchased the vehicle, I learned how to drive manual transmission in the car. I imagine that I did not do it any favors while I was learning, however that was the only time any real wear and tear were put on the clutch. I also live in the Seattle area, so hill starts are an everyday thing. I was told I could reduce clutch wear by useing the handbrake trick, but I have always opted to do it the old fashioned way.

Other then that, I am just wondering how long it might be before I have to have the clutch replaced. Any ideas what the timeline is on one of these cars?

#2 ·
Put it in 1st, and let go of the clutch slowly.
If it stalls out...good, if not it may soon need replacement.
I had a civic with nearly 175k miles on the original clutch, but my wife's corolla needed one by100k.
I think it has alot to do with driving style (she tends to ride the clutch alot)

Most transmition shops will tell you 50-60K miles (I wonder why?):dunno:

#4 ·
Put it in 1st, and let go of the clutch slowly.
If it stalls out...good, if not it may soon need replacement.
All of my manual cars haven't stalled when I did this. Even when they were brand new from the dealer...

I don't see why I car with a good clutch would stall. :dunno:

#3 ·
I replaced my 6-6's clutch at 89,000 miles (about two months ago). It did not need to be replaced per se, but since the throwout bearing was going out I decided to do it anyways (along with the pressure plate and flywheel). From my observations, the disc had about 25% left in it. I am not saying that your clutch has anywhere near the same wear. Maybe more, maybe less. As was mentioned, everyone's driving style is different. I have seen cars with 200K that are still on the original clutch. As long as the feel or operation isn't different, you shouldn't have to worry about it for awhile.

#9 ·
I also live in the Seattle area, so hill starts are an everyday thing. I was told I could reduce clutch wear by useing the handbrake trick, but I have always opted to do it the old fashioned way.
What is the old fashioned way, dump the clutch and give it good gas to make up for the force of gravity? While stopped, it's better to ease up on the clutch till is starts to bite before you start gassing.

#10 ·
I am still driving with the original clutch at 218k miles with my 2.4 I4. I am betting my clutch is in better shape than my synchros.

Reactions: professorman
#11 ·
Mister, I may not have the most helpful answer of the bunch but I can tell you this. I am definitely looking for a 7th gen V6 cause I think it is still the most beautiful Accord of the last 20 years atleast!

#13 ·
I am the 4th owner of my car so I can't be sure the clutch was never replaced. However, I am fairly certain that I am still on the original clutch at 158,400 miles. It still works fine and I do not go easy on it a lot of the time. Also, this was my first manual car and I stalled the hell out of it and grinded gears about 100 times before I got it down but it still works fine. I am convinced Honda manual drivetrains are bulletproof.

I already have a replacement clutch for when this one fails. It's lookin like that won't be for at least another 50,000 miles though. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
Some of you guys must abuse your clutch...I routinely drive in traffic and around Baltimore and the suburbs, I can't say I've owned a vehicle that needed a new clutch in all that time...I fully expect the clutch in this to go 200k plus, if it doesn't I will be very disappointed...

#18 ·
If they are downshifting all the time and letting the clutch always act as the first break (vs. the wheel breaks) to slow down then yea, its possible to get half the mileage out of a clutch?

#26 ·
that reminded me of my 93 civic with 270k miles. i beat the hell out of that clutch, always downshifting to brake and to acclerate on the freeway for 3 years. Clutch still works fine. I drive about 25k a year. But of course on my accord I don't drive that kind of manner anymore.

#22 ·
Clutch longevity.............

Brake pads are cheaper than clutch disks!
+1

135,000 on factory orginal clutch, pads, plugs...........

no complaints.

ez

#20 ·
Weird things happen too. I had a 92 Civic clutch die at 188k and I drove it much easier than I do the Accord. One of the springs in the pressure plate simply snapped in two. I was wondering how long a clutch would last with this car. I keep expecting it to go, but I'm glad to hear there are others further down the road than me ?

#21 ·
I'm at almost 100k miles and I still teach people to drive standard on my car and it's super easy to stall in first. I'd hope to get at least 200k miles out of a Honda OEM clutch as long as you make relatively smooth and quick shifts.

While on the subject of clutches, what are the general thought on double clutching? I don't down shift unless on a back road going in to a corner but I do rev-match it first. I'm wondering about just general driving though how many use double clutching?

#25 ·
the original clutch on my car lasted about 171k miles. YMMV.

#30 ·
Perhaps you guys can give me another piece of advice.. I find it difficult to shift into 2nd gear in my V-6 Accord. I attempt to make the gear change like I would while driving any manual transmission car, but for some reason the car would ALWAYS jerk around when I would shift into second gear.

Anyway, I did find out quickly after I learned to drive my car that the best way to get into second gear smoothly is to shift at a low RPM out of first gear and into second, then while letting out the clutch, take an extra second holding it halfway before letting it all of the way out. I assume this does no extra harm to my clutch, however, I find it annoying when taking off at a stoplight that I cannot get going at a quick rate of speed without sacrificing a nice smooth start and into second gear. I constantly get annoyed when I get passed up by the car that was next to me because I am trying to make my gear change to second nice and smooth.

HELP! :(

#31 ·
Rev match. The "rev hang" in the drive by wire system doesn't always (almost never, in fact) match the exact rpm needed. As a rule of thumb, I shift into 2nd at 20mph and rev match to 2100 rpm. So if you were accelerating off the line quickly, you could match 2nd at ~4100rpm at 40mph (end of 1st gear). Shifting at low rpm from 1st to 2nd is smoother because the rev hang takes less time (revs only drop 300-500rpm) meaning that you can shift quicker, i.e. less hesitation before clutch release. I hope this makes sense.

In 2nd,
10mph = ~1100rpm
20mph = ~2100
30mph = ~3100
40mph = ~4100
Etc...

* rev hang being defined as the electronically controlled throttle body holding open momentarily to account for the time to move the gear shift into a taller gear and attempting to engage the clutch without driver input on rev matching.

#39 ·
~ 165,000 km (~103,000 miles): original clutch

>90% city driving. Hoping it lasts like the energizer bunny.

Condition: clicking/creaking noises when engaging, or disengaging clutch pedal. Apparently common on the 7th generation Accord.
My mechanic suggested replacing the clutch master cylinder but based on readings here, I'm not sure that would actually solve the interior clicking noise.

#50 ·
230k miles+

I have a 2001 civic ex coupe, 230k miles on original clutch and still going strong. (Bought it from an original owner with 110k miles) Crazy to read how some people had theirs replaced around 100k. I do not drive it hard, daily driver, mostly highway miles.. just replaced struts and lower ball joints. Great little car for sure.

#51 ·
75 k miles and my clutch is still performance well, i too will drive fast for pleasure but not abusive. there's a different between driving ur car fast but correctly and being abusive. my friend would abuse the clutch big time even though he's slow as snail, he burns clutch everytime i don't know y?( well he's a beginner) im trying to tell him reving in between gear doesn't do any damn thing to make it fast, but i don't think he gets it, must have watched too many fast and furioust!

#52 ·
For longevity...

2003 Honda Accord 2.4 260K original clutch

1995 Saturn SL1 1.9 410K ORIGINAL clutch only reason I am not driving it is because the head cracked in 2012

1986 Toyota Pickup 2.4 170K original new one still good @ 270K (was used as a work truck amazing the clutch lasted that long)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.