Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this week we had temperatures in the lower 20s in the morning so I tried out my heated driver seat. I placed the switch in HI after starting the car and it took so long to feel any heat that the temperature gauge was at the bottom of the normal range and the car neater was blowing nice warm air. If I placed the switch in the LOW position would the seat even get warm before my posterior?

This is truly not a such a hot feature. Also, does running the seat heater dry out the leather quicker resulting in early cracking of the leather?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I flip mine to high when I jump in and shortly after have to switch to low. Maybe yours isn't working correctly? As for the leather, not sure, but I wouldn't think so. Its not on all that often considering the life of a car.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
I would think that those hot summer days would do more of a number on the leather than using the seat warmers once in a while.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Seat heaters need a fair amount of current to heat quickly, perhaps 40 or 50 amps. While our alternators produce about 140 amps (peak), that is partially a function of rpm. At idle they produce around 30% of their peak output. In most cars, the engine’s rpm needs to be at 2,000 or above for the alternator to produce peak power.

If the rpm are low, the seat heaters will not get much electricity and will heat slowly. If you want them to heat faster or just get hotter, drive with the rpm higher. That should help.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I would never own a car with leather seats that are not heated. I always have and no the heat doesn't hurt the leather. I also use even on warmer days if my lower back hurts a bit

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Earlier this week we had temperatures in the lower 20s in the morning so I tried out my heated driver seat. I placed the switch in HI after starting the car and it took so long to feel any heat that the temperature gauge was at the bottom of the normal range and the car neater was blowing nice warm air. If I placed the switch in the LOW position would the seat even get warm before my posterior?

This is truly not a such a hot feature. Also, does running the seat heater dry out the leather quicker resulting in early cracking of the leather?
So you just said that the heater hardly works for you, then you ask whether running the heater will "dry out the leather"? :dunno: As someone else said, maybe the 150 degree interior temperatures in the summer will do the same thing.

My seat heater works fine. No, it doesn't immediately heat the whole seat to a toasty perfection but that isn't what I'd expect and I've never had a seat heater work immediately.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Mine work perfectly. Seat and back heat is great in the winter!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The air in your car may be getting warm fast enough for you, but stop and think how long it would take to heat the seats without the seat heaters. How long does it take to bring all the solid surfaces in the car up to ambient temp, the steering wheel in particular?

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you have leather seats, it's a must have. Low is very weak compared to other cars I've tried, and high is really hot. I wish low was like a medium, that's all I would use.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same issue on the '12 Accord. By the time you notice heat coming from the seats, you don't need it much anymore. The heater element is on a 15A fuse, so it's not drawing the 40-50A as stated elsewhere.

·
Enjoying Life!!!
54 Posts
Mine works fine and as stated high can get to hot. Love my bun warmer!!! Haha

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, eventually they get too hot on High. The issue is they take a long time to heat up. I've heard some other models work better, so maybe it's the '12 that I have.

·
Registered
336 Posts
No, it doesn't immediately heat the whole seat to a toasty perfection but that isn't what I'd expect and I've never had a seat heater work immediately.
This. :yes:

Flyboy, remember those threads where you said you didn't see a purpose to starting your car and letting it run idle for a few minutes to warm it up because it wastes gas? This ~20 degree weather would be the time to start the car in the morning, turn up the HVAC, and flip the seat warmer to high. Come back in 5 minutes, and it's all nice and warm, and ready to go.

Fuel efficiency, or personal comfort? The choice is your's. :)

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This. :yes:

Flyboy, remember those threads where you said you didn't see a purpose to starting your car and letting it run idle for a few minutes to warm it up because it wastes gas? This ~20 degree weather would be the time to start the car in the morning, turn up the HVAC, and flip the seat warmer to high. Come back in 5 minutes, and it's all nice and warm, and ready to go.

Fuel efficiency, or personal comfort? The choice is your's. :)
True, but it still wastes gas. :thmsup:

Actually, the seat was warmed faster by my rear end than by the seat heater.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The seat heaters in the Accord are not near as good as the ones we had in the Camaro. Oh well.
Per the owners manual; switch the seat heater to high, once comfortable, switch to low to maintain temp.
Or something to that effect, it's been a while since I've read it.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
The air in your car may be getting warm fast enough for you, but stop and think how long it would take to heat the seats without the seat heaters. How long does it take to bring all the solid surfaces in the car up to ambient temp, the steering wheel in particular?
Great now someone is going to start complaining that the Accord doesn't have heated steering wheel like [XYZ] car. :wave: Forums are good for complaining and nitpicking it seems :)

The seat heaters in the Accord are not near as good as the ones we had in the Camaro. Oh well.
Per the owners manual; switch the seat heater to high, once comfortable, switch to low to maintain temp.
Or something to that effect, it's been a while since I've read it.
Yeah but then you have to drive in a, umm, Camaro the rest of the time. I'd trade a slightly weaker seat heater vs having to drive around in a Camaro.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'll oblige; Sure wish the Accord had heated steering wheel. They are awesome

1 - 20 of 80 Posts