Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who’s looking for a car. Preferably a Honda. A guy came in my job and asked if I knew anyone looking for a car. He said he had a 2001 Accord V6 with 232K miles and only wants $500.00. I usually wouldn’t suggest a car with that kind of miles to a friend but he’s in desperate need of a car. Are the automatics on the V6’s problematic like the ones on the 4 cylinders?

Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup.

But for $500 it might be worth a shot.
Thanks. Yeah, I figure if the car dies on him worst case scenario is he’ll only be out $200 because I’m sure he could sell it for $300. He just needs something to roll while he saves up for something better.

·
VCM DELETE
946 Posts
Those were some of the worst Transmissions, I had a 2002 Civic that it went out around 180k. Torque converter. Friend had 2001 Accord V6 coupe, same exact thing.....
The shifts were so hard the dash would bang when it went into 2nd/3rd gear.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Those were some of the worst Transmissions, I had a 2002 Civic that it went out around 180k. Torque converter. Friend had 2001 Accord V6 coupe, same exact thing.....
The shifts were so hard the dash would bang when it went into 2nd/3rd gear.
That’s nothing. I wish my 99 Accord would have lasted 180K miles. I had only had it for about 10K miles when the transmission went out at 101K miles…

·
Kaua‘i North Shore Boi.Aloha❤️🤙💪😊
208 Posts
I've read '00-02's were much worse than 98-99's.. That sucks about Your 99.. But, somehow this 01 lasted 232k? Change the fluids and he'll get some miles out of it. Unless the atf is black. Aloha

Reactions: Slickpanther

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a friend who’s looking for a car. Preferably a Honda. A guy came in my job and asked if I knew anyone looking for a car. He said he had a 2001 Accord V6 with 232K miles and only wants $500.00. I usually wouldn’t suggest a car with that kind of miles to a friend but he’s in desperate need of a car. Are the automatics on the V6’s problematic like the ones on the 4 cylinders?

Thanks.
Are the automatics in those cars problematic? Totally. The V6 especially. The main problem was overheating, which was caused by a few things. If you stay on top of the maintenance they can last.
For $500 and the rest of the car is in average shape, it may be alright for a temporary transportation. Just make sure to go over it thoroughly. From what I've seen, most any car that gets above 200k miles has usually had decent regular maintenance.

·
Polished Metal Metallica
1,145 Posts
Problematic? No. A problem, yes.

If your friend goes through with the deal, I’d suggest they do a 3x drain-and-fill as soon as they get the car (or at the very least, a drain-and-fill). I concur with @andrewtl96 that for $500, it’s worth a shot, and chances are that it has gotten to its current high mileage with at least some good maintenance.

·
208 Posts
lol

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
+1 on rolling with a $500 car.

The transmissions aren't all that reliable, but if treated right, they will last you a good while. These cars have their own set of quirks, but many of them can be fixed relatively cheap. The transmission is the most expensive thing to fix when it goes out, but they can be rebuilt for anywhere between $1,200 - $2,400 in most cases. At which point, the car would be worth keeping if your friend is a fairly competent DIY'er so as to keep future repair costs down.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an update:
I called the guy with the $500 accord and left messages but he never got back with me. My friend ended up buying a 2002 Accord for $2,100. The original San Marino red paint is faded but it only has 92K miles on it and the engine is tight and quite. I test drove it and drives and shifts like a dream. The only thing I was concerned about was that the transmission fluid was brown so I don’t know if it had ever been changed. My friend only had $2,100 and was in danger of loosing his job for not having a car so he had to get it. I read online that transmission fluid can turn brown at 30K miles. Is that true? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Brown color transmission fluid usually indicates that it has oxidized from being in there a long time. Have your friend do 3-4 changes asap (the first 2 are the most important). He may still be able to save the transmission as the fluid wasn't black or smelled burnt. Valvoline (Walmart) or DW-1 fluid but the most important thing is doing the first 2 changes immediately. If the trans. has been abused (car driven very hard which produces more heat in the trans. causing fluid break down) then I can see the fluid browning by 30K. A reg. driven car, not so much at 30K.

·
208 Posts
Yes, drain and fill asap, drive it a bit, then drain and fill again.. etc etc.. I did this to mine, and My transmission fluid was BLACK and BURNED. But it's still running fast to this day. Even after Everything else in the engine compartment died on Me. Some of it was My fault.. Anyway, Mine was actually falling into N, while going 50+ on the highway.. I'd have to shift to N, kill the engine, and restart it.. After doing Many many D&f's in the following months, it's all G. Shifts great. I wish U and Your friend the best. Aloha

Reactions: Slickpanther

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I had a '00 Accord 4-cyl with AT. I put ~171K miles on it over 16 years and the AT never had a single problem.

Had the AT fluid changed once, or maybe it was twice, and it was still running great when I sold it in '16...

·
8th Gen Believer
4,321 Posts
Had an 03 V6 coupe, the trannies are awful.

Reactions: scar_cle

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had a '00 Accord 4-cyl with AT. I put ~171K miles on it over 16 years and the AT never had a single problem.

Had the AT fluid changed once, or maybe it was twice, and it was still running great when I sold it in '16...
4 cylinder cars didn't have anywhere near the transmission failures as the V6 cars did.
My '99 Accord (4 cylinder) had 220k miles on it when I sold it. I did the ATF fluid religiously every other oil change, never had a problem.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
4 cylinder cars didn't have anywhere near the transmission failures as the V6 cars did.
Did they have the same transmissions? If so, that would make sense because a V6 would be sending more power to an already weak transmission.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts