1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on picking up an Auto V6 Coupe
I like manual but would like the wife to able to drive it every now and then
I've driven the 2013 4 door V6 auto and found it to be quite impressive as well
Its quite aggressive with the downshifts.

I've heard some rumblings that there are issues with the varaible cylinder management system with the V6 . Is that true?

Any of you auto V6 coupe owners please chime in if you can.
Thxs.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
No problems at all.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm planning on picking up an Auto V6 Coupe
I like manual but would like the wife to able to drive it every now and then
I've driven the 2013 4 door V6 auto and found it to be quite impressive as well
Its quite aggressive with the downshifts.

I've heard some rumblings that there are issues with the varaible cylinder management system with the V6 . Is that true?

Any of you auto V6 coupe owners please chime in if you can.
Thxs.
Auto v6 coupe chiming in. At low speeds you can hear a crossover. It sort of sounds like a fart or small backfire and it can vibrate. Also rarely I'll stomp on it and it will lag to accelerate at all. This is however rare and usually within 5 minutes of start up. I will say it's probably the most fun vehicle I have driven. Worth every penny however I regret not searching harder for a manual.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
We have the V6 in our van. The VCM transitions are seamless.

Jay

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
+1 that I have never ever felt the VCM engage or disengage on my new Accord V6 Sedan. Not even a tiny bump or judder or anything.

On my older Odyssey I THINK I can feel it engage sometimes, but could be something else.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about re: VCM in terms of driving dynamics. Some people will post here that it is a needlessly "complex" system and adds more chance that the car will need to be fixed in the future (active engine mounts etc). I guess by definition any additional feature or system added to a car then has the potential to require maintenance, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. You could easily use the same logic for the new direct injection, CVT trans, etc on the I4. If you poke and prod and research enough you can scare yourself out of buying any car.....

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
No problems at all in 23,000 miles. In fact, I don't even notice when it switches over.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Never felt anything because of the VCM. The only thing I feel is when the transmission downshifts when I am slowing down. You will see the mpg gauge fluctuate, showing the increased mileage, but that's it. I swear this question comes up every couple of months...:dunno:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I get the rumbling that is apparently attributed to the VCM at around the 1500-1900 RPM range. I got used to it, but of course, once you're outside of there everything is smooth sailing. :thmsup:

·
Luv2Drum
119 Posts
If you can go with the manual do that, but I understand how wifeys' are challenged in that regard.

I feel the VCM but it is negligible..yet it still bugs me some. There is absolutely no hesitation with the acceleration though from engagement to disengaging.

It's hard to explain, but you just feel this light sensation that the smoothness has diminished that is ever present all the other time.

Yet for 29 MPG with a V6 I can live with it.

Reactions: willi123

·
Banned
47 Posts
Everyone hated the VCM in the 8th gens in terms of performance and I believe in even functionality and service thru software updates. I wonder what Honda did to improve VCM on the 9th, was it all attributed to the DI or did we just get lucky that Honda addressed it for the 9th and not for the 8.5s?

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Everyone hated the VCM in the 8th gens in terms of performance and I believe in even functionality and service thru software updates. I wonder what Honda did to improve VCM on the 9th, was it all attributed to the DI or did we just get lucky that Honda addressed it for the 9th and not for the 8.5s?
The V6 is not direct injection

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can't notice mine in any way at all and believe me I've tried. It's flawless, at least in my car. Of course if enough people start saying they've heard there's a problem everyone will think there's a problem but perception is not reality.

·
Registered
901 Posts
No problems at all on mine. I've never noticed VCM engage or disengage. Honestly when i first test drove the 6 i noticed some odd, hard shift points. I looked past it and bought it and had frequent downshifting and upshifting at awkward moments IMO. I've since found with 2k miles on the car that it shifts VERY smooth and when I expect to feel a downshift at the wrong time it no longer happens. I don't know if the TCM "learns" how you drive, but I'd swear mine has learned me well...or trained me well :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
I can feel VCM disengage from time to time, mostly on smooth parts of the freeway I travel on all the time where it kicks up in incline slightly such that more power is needed to keep a constant speed. It is very slight and nobody would notice it unless you knew what was going on. I barely feel it engaging - mostly you just know it's engaging because you'll see the instant MPG jump to 36mpg (on level ground, not downhill or anything) while in non-VCM it's typically at the 30 mark on the same. It's getting those steady 36mpg sections is what allows the car to have excellent overall gas mileage for 6 cylinder standards.

As far as the "issues", that's with the old gen engine as it was tuned for VCM to engage in both 3 and 4 cylinder mode. 4 cylinder was done away with and presumed to be responsible for the issues. If you think about it, it's more natural to have 3 cylinders than 4 operating in the V engine configuration.

·
It's a Coupe or nothing
213 Posts
Have no complaints what so ever. Awesome drive train! Buy it you will fall in love.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
No problems thus far with mine. Smooth as silk in my opinion. No lagging, shudders, or hesitation. My biggest adjustment was going back to a front wheel drive vehicle. Issues I thought I was experiencing was really making that adjustment.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Wasn't there some talk of the VCM causing excessive oil consumption?

Anyways, I have not had any problems with my V6 AT coupe.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
There was some initial concern that some people noticed the oil was below the halfway mark before the first oil change was done. Whether if the car came like that or not, they weren't sure, but after the first change people have consistently remarked that the oil levels stayed the same until the next change. One or two may have had a small leak, but that's a different issue. :D

·
HA-420
709 Posts
There was some initial concern that some people noticed the oil was below the halfway mark before the first oil change was done. Whether if the car came like that or not, they weren't sure, but after the first change people have consistently remarked that the oil levels stayed the same until the next change. One or two may have had a small leak, but that's a different issue. :D

I was down half a quart at 5700 miles(40%). VCM? Maybe

Probably a combination of that and aggressive driving.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 34 Posts