Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Could anybody tell me if these headlights projector with 4300K HID are legal in the United States?

I´m going to go to Chicago by car in my next vacations and I don´t want troubles with the police.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
Got any beam pattern pics? My educated guess is they are not legal because they are not certified by the gubberment but if the beam pattern is acceptable than I wouldn't expect issues...technically the highest quality retrofitted headlights are not legal but you see how popular that is (I've done it before and will do it again if the funds are present).

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
You won't have an issue. As was stated, they are not legal but there are worse things out there. I'm quite certain that Chicago police have bigger fish to fry when it comes to illegal activities (gangs, shootings, etc.)...

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Yeah, Chicago's Finest won't bother with you, but state troopers from those other states you mentioned may pull you over if you are a few miles per hour over the speed limit on the interstates.

Canadian license plates rarely get pulled over...but Mexican plates will- especially on that route up to Chicago.

When you are in Kankakee, Illinois, (about 60 miles south of Chicago), don't speed through there at night time. State Police HQ is there and they have a quota. And they fill that quota.

Also, coming up from Mexico, be sure you have tires that can handle snow.

·
Point A to point B
29 Posts
Dont worry about Louisiana, ya gotta wear your sunglasses at night around here not to be cool but so you dont get blinded.
Who vacations in Chcago anyway?
jus' kiddin'.

·
Accordial
36 Posts
pretty sure it varies by state. You should be good though, considering they are 4300k which produce more of a white light than the upper spectrum blues. I know here in Florida the law is no color other than the halogen yellow and white

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Nice photos...what is that, an inch of snow!?

When it snows ten feet, and the neighbors are looting the Food King, and City snow plow drivers are demanding cash to plow your street, and public schools are only delayed opening by 15 minutes....only then will you experience Chicago in the wintertime.... lol

·
Call me Nego
215 Posts
Is one inch of snow supposed to be big deal?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yeah, Chicago's Finest won't bother with you, but state troopers from those other states you mentioned may pull you over if you are a few miles per hour over the speed limit on the interstates.

Canadian license plates rarely get pulled over...but Mexican plates will- especially on that route up to Chicago.

When you are in Kankakee, Illinois, (about 60 miles south of Chicago), don't speed through there at night time. State Police HQ is there and they have a quota. And they fill that quota.

Also, coming up from Mexico, be sure you have tires that can handle snow.
i thought quotas were illegal

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the record, Illinois is fairly strict on certain car regulations. For instance, window tints of any kind are forbidden in that state. I don't know how this applies to out of state (they obviously can't forbid out-of-state-ers to abide by car maintenance laws) but I wouldn't worry about it.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
To answer your original question...

Yes, they are illegal in all states. Technically, any modification done to a headlamp that was not installed during the manufacturing of a vehicle is illegal as that vehicle was not designed and approved by DOT / SAE for that feature.

To elaborate a little further on the HID side of things... those eBay projectors are designed to run a halogen bulb. There are two different types of projectors: one for a halogen cutoff and one for a HID cutoff - as the bulbs themselves disperse light in different ways. Therefore, the cutoff shields inside of these projectors are designed for that particular bulb type.

In short, I bought my car in Skokie, IL (*shout out to Rick Blaine*) and although I did not have a retrofit done at the time, I did not have any issues with IL officers on my way home. You should not have an issue with running those headlights, especially being that you are running an OEM temperature (4,300K), and DO at least have a cutoff (as opposed to running a horrible HID Plug-N-Play cut w/o a projector).

Good luck :thmbsup:

·
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*
423 Posts
Nice photos...what is that, an inch of snow!?

When it snows ten feet, and the neighbors are looting the Food King, and City snow plow drivers are demanding cash to plow your street, and public schools are only delayed opening by 15 minutes....only then will you experience Chicago in the wintertime.... lol

This is true, can confirm.
I remember they literally had us come in (those who were willing,) we sat around and watched movies all day. I honestly think they use the public schools as a baby sitting system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts