Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
hondA freAk
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. so i'm new to the forum, and i just bought a 10' sedan....so in the process of signing the papers, i asked the manger if me lowering my car will void any warranty (cuz i bought an 8 yr bumper to bumper warranty), he told me no, as long as it isn't anything like modding the engine or re-wiring anything in that nature. so my question is: was he just talking out his a** or was he telling me the truth? because i really want to lower it but not at the cost of voiding my warranty. i know if i go with the HFP, i'm good with the warranty, but i really wants springs since i never had a bad experience with them. does anyone out there still have their warranty even with springs/coilovers install?

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
First, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the federal statute that governs the new car warranty. Read it of you want to learn more. In short, I believe the act states that any modification on your part must be the "reasonably" direct cause of a specific repair for the warranty to not cover it. So if you lower your car and develop a suspension or steering problem, you're probably screwed. But the rest of the warranty will not be affected. And as you seem to know already, if you go with an HFP suspension, you're safe.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Well, technically HFP is only for coupes. But yeah...you're OK unless your lowering the car causes the specific warranty claim. For example, if you drop with springs and go crying about your struts being blown, they'll say "Go F*** yourself." But if you lower and your AC goes out, well...you're OK.

PS WELCOME to the forum!

·
hondA freAk
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys...maybe i should get it in writing stating that my struts would be covered if i lower it with springs then..lol. man, some managers don't know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well, technically HFP is only for coupes. But yeah...you're OK unless your lowering the car causes the specific warranty claim. For example, if you drop with springs and go crying about your struts being blown, they'll say "Go F*** yourself." But if you lower and your AC goes out, well...you're OK.

PS WELCOME to the forum!
thanks guys...maybe i should get it in writing stating that my struts would be covered if i lower it with springs then..lol. man, some managers don't know what they're talking about.
:lmao:

·
Registered
937 Posts
I think OP missed my point.:dunno: If you mod something (lowering springs in my example) and this directly causes the failure of the struts (which is common), then the warranty will not cover the struts.

But if you add lowering springs and the AC goes out, well...they're unrelated and the warranty would cover the AC.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
I think OP missed my point.:dunno: If you mod something (lowering springs in my example) and this directly causes the failure of the struts (which is common), then the warranty will not cover the struts.

But if you add lowering springs and the AC goes out, well...they're unrelated and the warranty would cover the AC.
Yes he missed the point.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Fact 1:
Lowering the ride will cause the vehicle to develop tensions all over the suspension which ultimately get teh suspension wear out faster than it should be.

Fact 2:
Honda warranty only gurantee factory parts. Any aftermarket parts will void its warranty.

Fact 3:
1 and 2 are common sense. Instead of seeking opinion, why don't you read the whole warranty that you are about to sign?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts