Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing an invoice of someone's $50+ oil change they regularly get at the dealership, I searched the part # for the oil used. This person thought they were getting a FULL synthetic oil change. Now they know they've been paying for synthetic BLEND. The item number for this 0W20 oil is 0020C-BAS-N0L.

Would you care to share your invoice?
What Item # is used for your Oil?
Are you getting Honda's best?
Did you think you were getting Full Synthetic?

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
For $50? Those people should assume it's not full synthetic.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For $50? Those people should assume it's not full synthetic.
The description on the invoice can be vague. Hopefully this thread can be a educational experience for some. Dealerships often throw in oil changes as a reason to buy a vehicle from them. I personally don't want Blends or Semi oil if I'm planning on keeping my vehicle past the warranty.

·
MT or death
445 Posts
Nonsense. I pay $35 for a full synthetic oil change. Even less with a coupon. My dealer uses Pennzoil Platinum 0W20.

View attachment 527683
That's really cheap. Pretty much any quick oil change place around here charges $49.99 for a full synth change. I don't even know what the dealership would be.

Reactions: 2Accordz

·
Rollin in FL
1,157 Posts
My Honda dealer writes out the oil they use.

"INSTALLED 0079: CASTROL MAGNATEC 0W-20". Been paying $45 for the OC, since I get my TR done for free.

Reactions: kerrydeare

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I knew up front that I was getting blend

Reactions: NailGrease

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I am as sure as I can be, without standing over the tech that does the work, that I am getting full synthetic because I buy my own oil and take it in to the dealer. One of the main reasons I do this is so I can give them the exact amount I want put in; no over- or under-filling. Before I started doing this I noticed on the invoices that the dealers were billing by the tenths of a quart. i.e. 45 tenths of a quart at whatever the price was. Now, if I could just get it so the guy who writes up the invoice realizes I supplied my own oil and doesn't charge me for their oil I'll be a happy camper. That happened last 2 times (at different dealers). The last time I didn't catch it until I got home. I have a credit coming on my next oil change.

Reactions: NailGrease

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am as sure as I can be, without standing over the tech that does the work, that I am getting full synthetic because I buy my own oil and take it in to the dealer. One of the main reasons I do this is so I can give them the exact amount I want put in; no over- or under-filling. Before I started doing this I noticed on the invoices that the dealers were billing by the tenths of a quart. i.e. 45 tenths of a quart at whatever the price was. Now, if I could just get it so the guy who writes up the invoice realizes I supplied my own oil and doesn't charge me for their oil I'll be a happy camper. That happened last 2 times (at different dealers). The last time I didn't catch it until I got home. I have a credit coming on my next oil change.
Being in a small town, it was inconvenient to go to the dealership. We would take our oil and filter to the local tire shop that also does oil changes. $20 labor. I would hang out where I could see my oil going in. Buy a Wix filter to replace an M1 to make sure the filter was changed.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Well at least you know your not getting their best.
It was a good deal. $19 oil change promo for like 4 years. Then they ended the deal and I decided that for $45, I could just do it myself in my driveway/garage. Now I pay $30 for full synthetic and instead of blowing 2 hours on a saturday, it takes me 15 minutes on a weeknight.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oil change and plugs $60
mobil 1
I must assume this is DIY.
This seems a little to low in price. Did you go back with NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs?

·
Registered
2008 coupe v6 auto
73 Posts
not a DIY, i found a really good mechanic. i got the plugs from amazon, oil filter. mobil 1 from wallmart.i bring the parts and he does the work. with tip $70

1 - 16 of 16 Posts