Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about my 2003 with 66k that I got a about three weeks ago. It started having transmission problems this week. I did the suggested 3x3 transmission fluid replacement with Honda fluid the first week I owned it.

Problem is happening when going 50-60 miles an hour. Sounds like a indy car driving by camera when transmission tries to shift back into gear when coasting/driving without acceleration at 50-60. Probably 4th gear but hard to tell on this model. For sure not 3rd or lower. Has no OMDB codes, not sure if the transmission codes show on normal scanner.

Suggestions? Could it be the 3rd or 4th gear pressure sensors failing? I have read about those and several people suggested I replace them on my original thread when I bought it.

If I do have to replace transmission any suggestions? I have looked at willowcreek which seems to be a good deal at 1500 dollars and I have a trusted mechanic that will replace for 500 dollars. This would include adding a transmission cooler which comes with the willowcreek.

Hope it is as easy as replacing the pressure sensors they look easy to get to.

·
Black 2015 EX-L V6 Sedan
1,185 Posts
In my experience when Honda V6's of these vintage start having transmission problems, it's usually time to just replace/rebuild the tranny and move on with life.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my experience when Honda V6's of these vintage start having transmission problems, it's usually time to just replace/rebuild the tranny and move on with life.
So it is not worth a shot replacing those two pressure sensors before I replace?

Any suggestions for replacement transmission source? Any opinion about Willow Creek?

·
Black 2015 EX-L V6 Sedan
1,185 Posts
So it is not worth a shot replacing those two pressure sensors before I replace?

Any suggestions for replacement transmission source? Any opinion about Willow Creek?
I really don't know enough about those transmission pressure sensors. I've heard that Ridgeline transmissions can be saved by replacing certain pressure sensors.

You have no codes stored as you've said which makes me think something mechanical. Usually Honda's will flash the D4 or D indicator on the instrument panel if there's something detectable... and yes pressure senors will usually do this and come up on a HDS scanner under transmission.

A transmission is a tough thing to diagnose over the internet... but the patern failures on that model of Honda point to... just replace the tranny. Maybe you can take it to a transmission shop and pay a diagnosis fee... that may tell you more. However they will probably look at the engine and transmission combo and say... yeah replace it.

as for source... I'd get a re manufactured transmission and hope they have some updated parts. Most people have to do the transmission again in the 2-300000km range.

·
Mike
842 Posts
Problem is happening when going 50-60 miles an hour. Sounds like a indy car driving by camera when transmission tries to shift back into gear when coasting/driving without acceleration at 50-60.
The transmission does not shift out of gear unless you physically put it in neutral, something I'm sure you are NOT doing?

So what do you mean by shifting back into gear?

The only down-shift is under acceleration or braking (grade logic). At little or no throttle (coasting) you may be hearing a bad diff bearing or excessive play in the diff, but you said it only appears when the trans shifts a gear, unless you really are shifting into/from neutral.

Pressure switches will not cause this fault unless they have a hard fault - IE open or shorted, but still unlikely, a hard fault will flash a code (blinking gear light). Low cost scan tools will not read Honda transmission codes (non stand manufacture specific & proprietary) however higher cost units, like a shop or mechanics would use (with Honda add on packages) will read them.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
imagine that, a V6 with transmission problems

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
only 66k miles? got any info on previous owner?

did you replace the ATF Tranny Filter as well?

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
1,018 Posts
Yet people still say "not that many have failed, it's a small percentage of all of them made" I guess that's because the only ones that are seen that fail are people that post about it on forums. If you don't join a car forum your V6 auto wont fail, or at least nobody will know about it. This way the auto owners on the forum can say "not all of them fail" Meanwhile the resale of V6 autos are dirt cheap, are on their 2nd-4th unit. Most that I see online are in need of one, hence the reason for selling.

Changing switches, filters and fluid all the time is an expense in itself with these cars. Let alone time consuming. Always driving the car easy and avoid harsh downshifts because it will chew up the 3rd gear clutch packs. Replacing the transmission doesn't fix the problem. You are just buying time. It will fail again. A car with 66k is about the average time they fail. Although, I'd have to bet that the transmission was never serviced and that added to it's demise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yet people still say "not that many have failed, it's a small percentage of all of them made" I guess that's because the only ones that are seen that fail are people that post about it on forums. If you don't join a car forum your V6 auto wont fail, or at least nobody will know about it. This way the auto owners on the forum can say "not all of them fail" Meanwhile the resale of V6 autos are dirt cheap, are on their 2nd-4th unit. Most that I see online are in need of one, hence the reason for selling.

Changing switches, filters and fluid all the time is an expense in itself with these cars. Let alone time consuming. Always driving the car easy and avoid harsh downshifts because it will chew up the 3rd gear clutch packs. Replacing the transmission doesn't fix the problem. You are just buying time. It will fail again. A car with 66k is about the average time they fail. Although, I'd have to bet that the transmission was never serviced and that added to it's demise.
There are some remanufactured transmissions like this one from willow creek transmissions : http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2005-Honda-Accord-3-0L-V6-Transmission-w-2-YEAR-WARRANTY-/321746791265

that indicates that the things that cause these transmissions to fail prematurely have been upgraded. Does anyone have information or experience with the updated transmissions?

When I first got the car three weeks ago I posted and several people said I should replace those pressure sensors and the failing spot is only on the 4th gear downshift under light load and never heavy load(possibly 3rd but almost positive not).

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Probably not. The pressure sensors are usually replaced to prevent a future failure. In other words preventative maintenance. It's of course possible for them to fail, but it's not a very likely cause. It's up to you to decide whether you think it's worth a shot. There are a # of good threads discussing the pressure switches that you can read to get more insight into the matter. Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Probably not. The pressure sensors are usually replaced to prevent a future failure. In other words preventative maintenance. It's of course possible for them to fail, but it's not a very likely cause. It's up to you to decide whether you think it's worth a shot. There are a # of good threads discussing the pressure switches that you can read to get more insight into the matter. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Any opinions about willow creek transmisisons? Other sources for a replacement? I prefer not to do a junkyard as the existing transmission is still fully drivable and only makes the odd noise if downshifting lightly into 4th from 5th (sorta hard to replicate, I have heard it about six times in the past week). When I discovered exactly which shift pattern was causing problems I found if heavier gas is given no sound is made, and everywhere else drivability is smooth as silk.

·
Mike
842 Posts
By reading between the lines I arrived at the answer to my question.

Are you absolutely sure it's the transmission making the noise.

FYI Here is some info on the pressure switches and V6 5AT failure modes. The following site info was initially written many years ago and updated/expanded as more research and testing was carried out.

PressureS and 3rd gear

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That indy car sound was enough to convince me that i'm not convinced

I will post a link to the sound later. It comes from the driver side of the engine bay and you can see the RPMs race as it happens. When I first heard it I was leaning more towards another system. No codes on standard OMDB reader. Pretty sure its the transmission but will be nice if mechanic finds something else less significant.

·
Roll Tide!
7,678 Posts
WTH? "RPMs race" is WAY more important of a symptom than "indy car driving by camera". Is there anything else that people should know if they are to diagnose your alleged bad AT over the internet?

I do NOT believe in coincidences. AT was fine BEFORE you changed the ATF or whatever else you did that you haven't disclosed yet. How convinced are you that the fluid level is perfect? Have you been beating on the car in the three weeks you've owned it, especially since you changed the ATF. Did you change the ATF yourself or did you pay someone to do it. If you paid someone to do it, is there ANY chance they put in a different ATF and told you they used Honda DW-1?

I also think you need to take a deep breath before you run to a mechanic that makes a living charging people to fix things that don't need fixing. If nothing else, do NOT volunteer too much information; like you've read on the mighty interweb that you own a car that is famous for imploding transmissions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WTH? "RPMs race" is WAY more important of a symptom than "indy car driving by camera". Is there anything else that people should know if they are to diagnose your alleged bad AT over the internet?

I do NOT believe in coincidences. AT was fine BEFORE you changed the ATF or whatever else you did that you haven't disclosed yet. How convinced are you that the fluid level is perfect? Have you been beating on the car in the three weeks you've owned it, especially since you changed the ATF. Did you change the ATF yourself or did you pay someone to do it. If you paid someone to do it, is there ANY chance they put in a different ATF and told you they used Honda DW-1?

I also think you need to take a deep breath before you run to a mechanic that makes a living charging people to fix things that don't need fixing. If nothing else, do NOT volunteer too much information; like you've read on the mighty interweb that you own a car that is famous for imploding transmissions.
Trusted mechanic changed the fluid with DW-1. I drove it between 3 quart changes for 20-30 minutes follow his instructions. I have not been driving it hard. It drove like a dream after change but this noise could have been there all along. The sound is mistakable for a car driving by the opposite direction fast.

My mechanic does not stand to make much money if it is the transmission his labor charge is only 400 dollars for a transmission swap if I supply the transmission. I have known him for a long time and he did the inspection on my Accord prior to purchase. His recommendations were engine mount (replaced as part of purchase agreement) and timing belt based on age not mileage. I have the history from the previous owner and they did all maintenance at Honda dealership with exception of timing belt.

I am not looking for a diagnosis, but WAS looking for opinions on good sources for replacement transmissions if I need one and ideas about the pressure sensors as a thread I read talked about them in a similar scenario to mine.

Does anyone have any experience with willow creek or other sources for non-junkyard transmissions?

·
Registered
995 Posts
My aunt has an 05 V6 with over 150k miles and says her transmission has been flawless

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,455 Posts
I will post a link to the sound later. It comes from the driver side of the engine bay and you can see the RPMs race as it happens. When I first heard it I was leaning more towards another system. No codes on standard OMDB reader. Pretty sure its the transmission but will be nice if mechanic finds something else less significant.
That was a very important omission from previous posts. RPMs rising, and the car not picking up speed, while in gear, means it is slipping. That's bad news, and is usually a death sentence. I would get a professional to diagnose the transmission first, but I would also be looking into places like Willow Creek, Jasper, etc. to see where you might get a good replacement with some type of warranty on it. Good luck

I suspect this transmission was showing signs of issues at the end of the previous ownership. Was there any kind of warranty on the car when you bought it?

·
Mike
842 Posts
Yes, if RPM races ahead of change in speed (flaring) then the transmission is slipping.

As suggested, check ATF on level ground.

ATF will quickly burn (change colour) if slipping is allowed to continue, is it still pink?

Slipping in higher gears is less common but other clutch packs, apart of the most common 3rd clutch) 4th will sometimes slip and burn. Quite often you won't get a code until it getting close to toast.

Do what ever it takes to stop it flaring until you figure what is happening.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Short of taking it back to where you bought it and leaving it in their driveway without the keys, I'd visit a Honda dealer and pay for them to look it over. They can also tell you the service history if it was serviced by a Honda dealer.

Wondering, did they ever install the oil jet kit? V6 Accords were recalled under 04-037 on April 8 2005. First thing is to find out the service history of the car, which I would have done before I bought it. Any Honda dealer will tell you, if you ask nicely and maybe buy them lunch.

Reactions: jimijam
1 - 20 of 68 Posts