Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
So all that the Hondata chip does is increase boost?
They do not mess with fuel ratio or anything else?
Any idea how the Hondata chip works with bolt on components (mentioned briefly in the videos)?

Would love to see Hondata go into slightly more details in their videos for newish enthusiasts like myself.

Did some searching and found out this information:
Honda accord 2018 2.0 10AT stock boost pressure numbers are between 16-20.8psi.

Can anyone confirm the exact boost pressure and what is considered to be safe for our specific turbo?
Any idea what turbo make and model is on these 2018 2.0 10AT's?

Lots of questions, but thanks in advance for all the help!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any idea how the Hondata chip works with bolt on components (mentioned briefly in the videos)?

Would love to see Hondata go into slightly more details in their videos for newish enthusiasts like myself.

Can anyone confirm the exact boost pressure and what is considered to be safe for our specific turbo?

The tunes are probably more than just increasing boost levels for the turbo. They did run tests to see if the tunes were safe for the cars. But remember you're doing this at your own risk. They can only be liable for so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that it isn't a "chip", it's software that is installed on the factory ECU.

There are many variables that are adjusted as part of the process of tuning a car. Think of this as optimizing the car past the factory's conservative settings. Manufacturers build in a large margin of safety when they produce cars, meaning there is a lot of potential performance left on the table. With companies like Hondata and K-Tuner, they are basically creating "safe" off the shelf maps that can be applied to cars with a still generous margin of safety built in (primarily achieved through their own testing). This is achieved through a target AFR and target Torque number. So along with that comes adjustments in timing, boost, fuel, etc.

But to answer your question...there really isn't a defined safe number. However, both Hondata and KTuner have a longstanding reputation for their OTS maps being solid. Just know what maps you are using, make sure you are using the correct fuel for said maps, and ask a lot of questions.

Another thing I will add is that tuners typically build in a lot of safety into their tunes, with certain thresholds like detonation, STFT, and fuel pressure being triggers for putting the car into limp or reduced power status (or just closing the throttle). Although these will not prevent engine overrev situations in manual transmission cars, they will keep things in check both under WOT and normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What is the difference between the Ktuner and Hondata stage mods with all other things being equal? Or can you point me to this information? Of course the Ktuner is cheaper so what is the advantage to the hondata etc..etc..

Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
138 Posts
What is the difference between the Ktuner and Hondata stage mods with all other things being equal? Or can you point me to this information? Of course the Ktuner is cheaper so what is the advantage to the hondata etc..etc..

Thanks fellas!
For the most part, the off the shelf tunes from both companies will probably be relatively the same. I say this because they are producing maps that have to be safe for all cars. So as there might be slight variances in how they achieve power, one won't necessarily be better than the other unless one of them is more "unsafe" with leaner AFRs and/or a more aggressive torque curve. Ideally, you should invest in a tuning session to get a personalized tune for the car to ensure the safest tune.

I don't think you will go wrong either way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For the most part, the off the shelf tunes from both companies will probably be relatively the same. I say this because they are producing maps that have to be safe for all cars. So as there might be slight variances in how they achieve power, one won't necessarily be better than the other unless one of them is more "unsafe" with leaner AFRs and/or a more aggressive torque curve. Ideally, you should invest in a tuning session to get a personalized tune for the car to ensure the safest tune.

I don't think you will go wrong either way.
Makes sense, thanks!

81 - 87 of 87 Posts