Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying a 2010 V6 coupe.

I do 95% hwy at 70MPH cruising speed.

My question is what is my max cruising speed to only have the 3 cylinders working to have the least gas consumption?

I've read that at 80mpg cruising speed vcm works on 4 cylinders.

Thanx.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
There is no VCM on the 4 cylinders AFAIK.

I also believe the VCM switch-over is dependent on engine loading, so engagment maybe different in uphill or downhill, or if the car is loaded with people/groceries etc.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
The V6 Supplement Service Manual goes into great detail/depth about VCM, engagement and the overall tech. I don't have it handy or I'd scan a section or 2 for ya...

I highly recommend picking up the manual (or CD) from ebay if you're that interested in the VCM system (as well as the internals and different components your V6 consists of)

·
Banned
885 Posts
good question. i can tell when the VCM engages, because the eco light comes on. it would've been nice if it displayed how many cylinders were running.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
There is no VCM on the 4 cylinders AFAIK.

I also believe the VCM switch-over is dependent on engine loading, so engagment maybe different in uphill or downhill, or if the car is loaded with people/groceries etc.
VCM engines can run on 3, 4, and 6 cylinders. That's what the OP is talking about.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The V6 Supplement Service Manual goes into great detail/depth about VCM, engagement and the overall tech. I don't have it handy or I'd scan a section or 2 for ya...

I highly recommend picking up the manual (or CD) from ebay if you're that interested in the VCM system (as well as the internals and different components your V6 consists of)

Do you know of a link to the CD? I would love to get that.

·
Registered
968 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm planning on buying a 2010 V6 coupe.

I do 95% hwy at 70MPH cruising speed.

My question is what is my max cruising speed to only have the 3 cylinders working to have the least gas consumption?

I've read that at 80mpg cruising speed vcm works on 4 cylinders.

Thanx.
It depends on the engine load. Not really speed dependent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies and help, i could not find the manual on ebay.
yes thats what i thought.

My travel to work is mostly flat, i travel alone.. so i should be on 3 cylinders most of the time.

The car is advertised to do 34mpg hwy...
I wonder if thats on 3 cylinders?
If not, what is the consumption on 3 cylinders?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Do you have the v6?. I don't think the v6 would be able to get 34mpg on the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have the v6?. I don't think the v6 would be able to get 34mpg on the road.

I'm thinking about buying the v6 automatic.

In a canadian honda brochure, they say it gives 6.9 L/100km = 34 MPG.

But from what i just saw in other pages, they say it only gives 28mpg

I gather that the 34mpg is with the optimal use of eco mode of 3 cylinders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts