Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys... I snapped some pics last night after performing a single ATF drain-n-fill using Honda DW-1. I also performed engine oil change and this time I used Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 synthtic blend vs the full synthetic I've been using all along.

Last drain and fill was 20K ago, so you get to see how much has accumulated on the magnet. ATF filter was changed at 145K. I'm sitting at 158K right now and the tranny is shifting perfectly. Hopefully, y'all can use the images as some sort of baseline.

Camera flash wouldn't go off in macro mode and I was too tired to try and figure it out, so I hope they are not too dark.

Plug, just pulled. Despite how it looks in these close-ups, the buildup was actually very light.

Here I swiped half the plug magnet with a paper towel so you could see the depth of the crud.

Here, I've cleaned off the magnet and you can see how much there is on the paper towel.

Condition of drained fluid vs new.

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
That's not bad, especially after the DW-1 change. I remember I had a huge clump of metal flakes when it was still in the Z-1 days.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not bad, especially after the DW-1 change. I remember I had a huge clump of metal flakes when it was still in the Z-1 days.
I think most will start with a large clump if buying used or prior to learning how to really care for these trannys. Once you perform the initial 3x drain-n-fill and change the filter. There should be little metal paste on the plug at each 20-30K interval.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Drew why did you chose to go with Valvoline synthetic blend instead of full synthetic? Is it because of the mileage on the car or any other reason?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Here's a pic of the first D&R out of three @ 119k on a TSX (~20k/yr highway commuting). There was barely any buildup on the drain plug. I went over the previous records and there was one D&R @ 60k (1x3, not 3x3). I also replaced the external ATF filter at this time.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drew why did you chose to go with Valvoline synthetic blend instead of full synthetic? Is it because of the mileage on the car or any other reason?
No special reason. The Valvoline happened to be on sale at Advance and it was coupled with the Puralator Pure One filter which I like. Also, I couldn't find the oil I wanted which is Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic, so I was like screw it. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts