Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the recommended mileage to replace the automatic transmission fluid in a 2013 accord. Thanks for the help

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
What is the recommended mileage to replace the automatic transmission fluid in a 2013 accord. Thanks for the help
There isn't one. The Maintenance Minder will tell you when.

Jay

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Welcome to Drive Accord and don't be discouraged by the blunt comments.:)

As stated, technically, the Accord 4 cylinder with a CVT does not use traditional Automatic Transmission Fluid- even though on Honda's website they refer to this transmission as an "Automatic"; make of that what you will.

The 4 cylinder with the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) uses Honda's CVT fluid, called HCF-2, as pointed out by MN-Runner.

As for WHEN to change, Honda made that a mystery as your car's Maintenance Minder will notify you based on the mileage and a few other conditions.

Since Honda has had some mixed reviews with their "automatic" transmissions in the 6th and 7th Gen Accords (mostly with the V6, not the I4) many members here on Drive Accord ignore the Honda owner's manual and change their ATF in about 1/3 of the recommended time (6th, 7th, and 8th Gen).

Honda actually revised their maintenance schedule for those Gen Accords by stating that ATF should be changed more frequently. In this instance- they are recommending what loyal and vigilant owners have been doing.

The 9th Gen did not make changing- or even checking, the CVT fluid easy. Time will tell if Honda got the interval right or if they will need to revise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
on2, I RTFM and my manual says "Honda ATF DW-1 (automatic transmission fluid)" on page 352. It also says the transmission should be drained and refilled with new fluid according to the Maintenance Minder (see page 335), however page 335 contains no info on atf only engine oil which is why I made the post hoping to get some info based on members experience.

Furthermore on2 when you assume something usually results in ' u making an a$$ out of me ', thanks for your help.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not sure how you expect us to know when your MM will chime. Severely doubt anyone has had a 9th gen MM for trans fluid yet, if so it's high mileage and won't be similar to yours.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
on2, I RTFM and my manual says "Honda ATF DW-1 (automatic transmission fluid)" on page 352. It also says the transmission should be drained and refilled with new fluid according to the Maintenance Minder (see page 335), however page 335 contains no info on atf only engine oil which is why I made the post hoping to get some info based on members experience.

Furthermore on2 when you assume something usually results in ' u making an a$$ out of me ', thanks for your help.

Honda blew it when they interchangeably call their transmission a "CVT" and an "Automatic"- often on the same website, repair manual, and owner's manual. What will happen when the car is out of warranty and a non-Honda mechanic or owner puts in DW-1?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Honda blew it when they interchangeably call their transmission a "CVT" and an "Automatic"- often on the same website, repair manual, and owner's manual. What will happen when the car is out of warranty and a non-Honda mechanic or owner puts in DW-1?
Yep, sloppy language on many topics in their literature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts