Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking over the performance options on my little 271hp (but sadly 5atm) sedan, and I think that the j-pipe upgrade is a solid option. I had a custom made j-pipe made up for my 3VZ-FE, 4spd auto Camry with a supercharger, and it made a “seat of the pants” difference. (good measurable 0-60mph, 0.5 second improvement). The rv6 j-pipe is an interesting option, but it deletes the cat converter, and in my experience, deleting a perfectly good cat., is a waste of time and makes little or no difference to back pressure and sound. I’m thinking the ATLP V-2 j-pipe is a less expensive, emission’s legal, and nice bolt on option to find maybe 10-15hp, clean safe hp, and these j-pipes don’t just up peak power, they raise the curve through almost the whole powerband. More torque for (VCM) victims.
Font Office supplies Material property Publication Gadget

· When will the mods stop.... or will they?
2008 Honda accord Coupe 6 speed manual
1,690 Posts
If you are not touching the pre cats. 100% get a j pipe with the 3rd cat removed. It'll make a bit better sound but will definitely add good useable power. Highly recommend the mod.

Touching the cat back is a whole other story. I went with magnaflow, and that was great for a bolt on. \If you just want something turn key, cat back and the j pipe is the way to go. Personally, once you touch the pre cats, then you really need to tune the car and also are going to be chasing that oh so sexy sound the car once made. It takes a lot of dinking around to get the exhaust right so in my humble opinion I would buy a j pipe and cat back and leave it at that, unless you are like me and love to struggle lol

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In this case, I’m looking at the ATLP V-2 j- pipe because it keeps all the factory cat’s. Unless something is wrong with the car, that second converter is like a straight through pipe, and you can see almost perfectly through them. Removing them makes almost no difference to sound or back pressure.

1,690 Posts
It seems like you know best.

Just letting you know from my experience.

Removing the 3rd cat is beneficial to exhaust flow on stock set up. The Pre cats are the real cat converters and the 3rd is just overkill IMHO.

I would never do a J pipe and leave the stock cat, you are probably missing 30-40% of the gains. And the little bit of extra growl from the car is intoxicating.

Ur call

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems like you know best.

Just letting you know from my experience.

Removing the 3rd cat is beneficial to exhaust flow on stock set up. The Pre cats are the real cat converters and the 3rd is just overkill IMHO.

I would never do a J pipe and leave the stock cat, you are probably missing 30-40% of the gains. And the little bit of extra growl from the car is intoxicating.

Ur call
You’re absolutely right about missing some of the power gains. I’m just going one step at a time. Really didn’t like the stinky exhaust from my Camry cat. delete. Next step would be a high flow performance cat.

1,690 Posts
Why would you have a stinky exhaust?

You still have 2 cats.

I got a smog test done with my car having only 2 cats and they were RV6 HFPC and I still passed the smog test and no stinky exhaust. There is no stink coming from the exhaust with the 3rd cat removed.

Actually I am catless now and tuned, there is no stinky exhaust except for the initial startup sometimes. But it's pretty amazing how you'd never know there are no cats.

I've done almost every mod one can do to this accord. I really think you aren't listening.

There are no drawbacks from removing the 3rd cat whatsoever.

For example I had an acura 3.2cls before this car. It had one cat only. I replaced that with a high flow cat and the car lost tq and was unpleasant to drive. That's because it only has one cat, and I was unable to tune that car.

But with the accord removing the 3rd cat and leaving the 2 pre cats on the motor, you'll literally only have gains and better sound.

I am also about the sell my entire cat back set up as I am going to be going full custom true dual. So if you are really looking to have some gains lol. lemme know

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would you have a stinky exhaust?

You still have 2 cats.

I got a smog test done with my car having only 2 cats and they were RV6 HFPC and I still passed the smog test and no stinky exhaust. There is no stink coming from the exhaust with the 3rd cat removed.

Actually I am catless now and tuned, there is no stinky exhaust except for the initial startup sometimes. But it's pretty amazing how you'd never know there are no cats.

I've done almost every mod one can do to this accord. I really think you aren't listening.

There are no drawbacks from removing the 3rd cat whatsoever.

For example I had an acura 3.2cls before this car. It had one cat only. I replaced that with a high flow cat and the car lost tq and was unpleasant to drive. That's because it only has one cat, and I was unable to tune that car.

But with the accord removing the 3rd cat and leaving the 2 pre cats on the motor, you'll literally only have gains and better sound.

I am also about the sell my entire cat back set up as I am going to be going full custom true dual. So if you are really looking to have some gains lol. lemme know
You definitely have my attention now. Sorry, new to this forum, and it’s been a very long time since I played with a Honda. I have played with cars for a very long time, starting with a 340ci Duster back when I was in high school, Toyota Celica’s, Corolla, Honda Accord Si, Mazda 626 Turbo, and more in between. Presently have my 2008 Accord sedan (with 126k km), and a nice mint little 2000, Toyota Solara coupe with a 3.0L v-6 & 5spd manual Trans.

I haven’t had a modern car until this one that could take a tuning reflash, or has had the ability to respond to the last generation of tuning wisdom available from guys like you that have been working it all out.

My goals, have always been to take a nice performing sedan or coup, and tweak enough performance out of them that they are just a little bit more fun, car smart people say “geez, I didn’t think they went quite that good”, and they are still super reliable, and mostly invisible to the local constables. 😉

· Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for this updated post! I’m torn between PCD’s and HFPC’s. My stock cats are failing so I might as well upgrade them lol. I like the price of the PCD’s but they’re hard to find because RV6 is only producing high flows but I did find some from a shop in Florida . I’m concerned with rasp for the PCD’s. I’m running a Magnaflow cat back and 2.5in dynomax racing bullet. After the PCD’s I’m going for the jpipe. I heard the RV6 is better for low end torque which I best me because I rarely hit the high rpm, but concerned about the rasp I’ve heard from it too. I know the ATLP has no rasp but is more suited for high end. I want to increase flow but keep the deep sound I have. Any suggestions?

· Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for this updated post! I’m torn between PCD’s and HFPC’s. My stock cats are failing so I might as well upgrade them lol. I like the price of the PCD’s but they’re hard to find because RV6 is only producing high flows but I did find some from a shop in Florida . I’m concerned with rasp for the PCD’s. I’m running a Magnaflow cat back and 2.5in dynomax racing bullet. After the PCD’s I’m going for the jpipe. I heard the RV6 is better for low end torque which I best me because I rarely hit the high rpm, but concerned about the rasp I’ve heard from it too. I know the ATLP has no rasp but is more suited for high end. I want to increase flow but keep the deep sound I have. Any suggestions?
I replaced my PCDs. If you need an extra set. They are NO USE to me! but are still worth something. PM me if interested. Agree with 08 V6/6, once you have them tuned there is little to no stink. The sound is so good, I turn my stereo down to hear the music coming from the my car! J-Pipe added quite a bit of easy power. Pair that with choice of Cat-Backs and you'll be singing too. Add the PCDs and the thing turns into a Rocket Ship (with the right tune)! Again, J-Pipe = No Brainer.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad this thread is getting a little more talk on performance going, these engines deserve the talk, they have nice available potential. Certainly the j-pipe is a great starting place on these J35 engines. I found another 15 hp out of my custom made j-pipe for an old Toyota, 3VZ-FE, V-6, 3.0L, non vvt engine at sub 6000rpm engine speeds. This engine has lots of room for benefits from this. I think in particular the J35-V2 (VCM) engine can benefit from this. My familiarity with dual profile cams on old V-8 engines, tells me that the (VCM) engine makes great power at high rpm because it should. The Intake- VTEC, does what it’s supposed to do at high rpm, the exhaust side of the v2 engines is an aggressive profile, just like the v-3 engines get on the high rpm cam profile, except that it never gets the less aggressive profile at lower rpm, and that sacrifices a small amount of torque. In the mix, the cam disabled v2 gets a higher compression ratio by a whole 0.25, or 10.5-1, compared to the less impressive 10.25:1 of the v3, and thus gets to have a good shot at making better (at least peak) power than v-3 engines.

Just thinking out loud for you automatic guys! 😆

· Registered
9 Posts
Only thing I disklike about our VCM engine is the upgrade limitations. After this PCD/J-pipe, all I can do is upgrade the intake manifold and go with ported runners. If there’s more this engine can be upgrade let me know!

1,690 Posts
You can send ur manifold out to Slickfab and have them separate and port and polish it.
You can send your throttle body to maxbore and have them bore out the throttle body.

P2R runners yes

Exhaust (cat back) can upgraded too.

Intake CAI or Short ram both do the trick

Best bang for buck mod on these cars is the P2R manifold spacer. Adds significant power all aroud up to 6500rpm. I dynoed that on my car and it made like 10whp and 10tq or something of that nature

K tuner

· Registered
9 Posts
I replaced my PCDs. If you need an extra set. They are NO USE to me! but are still worth something. PM me if interested. Agree with 08 V6/6, once you have them tuned there is little to no stink. The sound is so good, I turn my stereo down to hear the music coming from the my car! J-Pipe added quite a bit of easy power. Pair that with choice of Cat-Backs and you'll be singing too. Add the PCDs and the thing turns into a Rocket Ship (with the right tune)! Again, J-Pipe = No Brainer.
I sent that PM btw!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts