Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a V6 Navi Coupe and yesterday once again was looking at a local dealer, just for grins they had a nice used 12 Coupe there and I wanted to demo a C.D. of mine in both, frankly the 12 blows away the 14, I was hoping it wouldn't be that noticeable but there was quite a difference, the high end and voice just had much more clarity, and the low end? We had the bass and the subwoofer turned up max on the 14, on the 12 I had the bass at midpoint and the sub at max, if I turned up the bass any more it was just way too strong. The salesman was with me and he drives a 13 Coupe, he said he is going to look into aftermarket speakers after what I showed him. So it looks like Honda really went substandard on the 9the gen, looks like I will have to do at the very least a full speaker upgrade on the 14 if I do decide to get one. I just don't understand why Honda went so substandard, maybe their marketing shows people don't listen to much music in their cars anymore?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, the 2013/14 Audio system has some issues. The problem is not the speakers, its the firmware that drives the system. There is a hidden setting that allows the DSP to be turned off and this greatly improves the sound. Its still not awesome, but much improved.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly is DSP, and where in the menu can I find it so I can turn it off and demo the sound again?

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Yes, the 2013/14 Audio system has some issues. The problem is not the speakers, its the firmware that drives the system. There is a hidden setting that allows the DSP to be turned off and this greatly improves the sound. Its still not awesome, but much improved.
First I'm hearing of this. You can't drop this bomb and walk away...

Jay

·
Registered
164 Posts
DSP? is that the speed compositing volume? Anyways yeah my 8th gen sedan had a fair superior sound system... For my 9th gen I'm going to be installing focal tweeters and components.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In past experience, I understand DSP to be digital signal processing, whatever it is I am curious as to where the control for it is.

·
Registered
481 Posts
My 2014 is same also... my wife's 2011 CRV EX-L system cranks better than mine, better lows and highs. Very frustrating, but other than that I love the new Coupe

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Audio seems to be a common complaint. Might do a 20hz-20kHz freq. plot today to see what the stock stereo looks like. Obviously the one with tweeters will be slightly different as I have a Sport.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Terrible audio system, at least on FM. USB and CD is at least okay, or much improved.

The DSP is available in the developers menu. Don't get your hopes up. It's marginal at best, and is actually worse IMO. It also doesn't stay set once you restart the car. It's not even a bandaid for those who prefer it.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
When judging any sound system, you have to consider and control for the source.

I've learned to live with my sound system, but then I never listen to the radio, so I don't care if that sucks or not.

USB and CD are plenty good in my book, but what really gets me is how bad the Bluetooth connection and the AUX input are.

Because I rented a 2013 Altima recently, I know for a fact now that the problem isn't my smartphone, because in the Altima the sound was extremely good, if not excellent, using Bluetooth.

The other day, I bought a AUX cord (3.5 to 3.5) and the sound was just as bad as the Bluetooth is.

This really chaps my butt, because I really like the convenience of using Bluetooth and especially the music player in my phone. I could live with using the AUX cord, but it is no better than Bluetooth.

In my humble opinion, the '13 2.4L 6MT Accord completely blows away the '13 3.5L CVT. It's just a shame that Altima's sound system is so much better using Bluetooth and, I presume, AUX, as well.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Change the tweeters in the pod on the EX-L's and your sound will be much better... the stock ones are like cheap $5 PC speakers. It's ridiculously easy to get them changed since the pods come off without needing to remove the door panel. I went with the JBL MS-62C and didn't even bother changing the woofer as the tweeter change alone made a dramatic night and day difference..

Needs a subwoofer as the stock "sub" is actually a midbass driver. Lots of options on subs; ideally you want something nicely integrated instead of a huge box in your trunk.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
1,172 Posts
USB and CD are plenty good in my book, but what really gets me is how bad the Bluetooth connection and the AUX input are.

Because I rented a 2013 Altima recently, I know for a fact now that the problem isn't my smartphone, because in the Altima the sound was extremely good, if not excellent, using Bluetooth.

The other day, I bought a AUX cord (3.5 to 3.5) and the sound was just as bad as the Bluetooth is.

This really chaps my butt, because I really like the convenience of using Bluetooth and especially the music player in my phone. I could live with using the AUX cord, but it is no better than Bluetooth.

In my humble opinion, the '13 2.4L 6MT Accord completely blows away the '13 3.5L CVT. It's just a shame that Altima's sound system is so much better using Bluetooth and, I presume, AUX, as well.
Okay. I feel somewhat foolish having to admit this and I still haven't figured out how it happened that the sound in my Accord was so much worse than in the Altima using Bluetooth, but having read one member's report that he used a third-party graphic equalizer to improve the bass using his Bluetooth connection, I decided to do some tweaking the next time I got into my car.

So, yesterday, before I took off my my weekly ride out the Moriarty, NM, I put the source on Bluetooth and began messing around with the controls on my S3 and lo and behold, after about a minute, I had excellent sound coming through the Bluetooth connection. It was so sudden that I nearly blew myself out the window, it was so loud and full.

Somehow, all my EQ settings were wrong, including the volume control on my S3 and once I tweaked those, everything has been, well, glorious, for lack of a better word to describe the difference.

I have to admit that while I don't know why the Altima sounded great with what I think were the same settings, I was able to improve the sound in my Accord immensely with a few adjustments.

I'm really happy now.:biggrin:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Okay. I feel somewhat foolish having to admit this and I still haven't figured out how it happened that the sound in my Accord was so much worse than in the Altima using Bluetooth, but having read one member's report that he used a third-party graphic equalizer to improve the bass using his Bluetooth connection, I decided to do some tweaking the next time I got into my car.

So, yesterday, before I took off my my weekly ride out the Moriarty, NM, I put the source on Bluetooth and began messing around with the controls on my S3 and lo and behold, after about a minute, I had excellent sound coming through the Bluetooth connection. It was so sudden that I nearly blew myself out the window, it was so loud and full.

Somehow, all my EQ settings were wrong, including the volume control on my S3 and once I tweaked those, everything has been, well, glorious, for lack of a better word to describe the difference.

I have to admit that while I don't know why the Altima sounded great with what I think were the same settings, I was able to improve the sound in my Accord immensely with a few adjustments.

I'm really happy now.:biggrin:
Sure.... but I think you cant do EQ with the stock music app right? So what app are you using?

Im using TTPod ... i find it pretty good ... but curious to know if there is one better

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
1,172 Posts
Sure.... but I think you cant do EQ with the stock music app right?
Yes you can.

The volume shown is way too low and occurred when I took the screen-capture. The volume should be all the way up, but remember to adjust the volume in the head unit, so as to not harm your speakers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts