Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
New Yitty - New York City
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everyone - So I been trying to figure out why I am getting a humming/thumping noise from my subwoofer using a Scosche line out converter - 10inch kicker subwoofer and a 400 watt kicker amp - using my factory head unit. I been told its a grounding issue and its the alternator whine causing this problem, see what I've tried so far, because for the life of me I can't get rid of it....

What I've tried thus far

I used a two different types of ground loop isolators none of which worked.
I used 3 different RCA cables - all of which were rated for AUDIO connections.
I used 3 different grounding points with a 4 gauge and 8 gauge wire.
I tried 2 different types of Line out converters (one of which was from Advanced auto parts)

so thats what I tried so far.. I noticed that on my RCA cables only one wire, whether red or white depending on how i have it hooked up, is the power wire. I thought both should be producing some sound. Basically I can run the sound with just one RCA - is this normal??

I really don't know what to do any more. I mean I am no expert but I tried just about everything that I was told by crutchfield and from the research I have done my self online. Is there anyone who has been through something similar or knows anything that I haven't tried and lend some help.

Note* first honda ever owned and I love it..dont know why it took so long..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Might be the Active Noise Canceling mics located (1) in the rear of your car on the rear shelf and (2) in the map light area in the front of your car. If you search there have been threads on how to disable them.

EDIT: I didn't really read your post but when most people have kept their stock headunit and put in Subs it seems that there is some feedback problems that exist after checking the grounds, power wires, etc. Just something to check out if you haven't already.

·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are those noise canceling mics used for and how would it give feed back or noise into my sub??

·
Registered
404 Posts
They are used to quiet the cabin when there are loud noises outside whether from engine noise, wind, etc. It has been a common problem for those with subs on a stock headunit. I do not know the exact mechanics of it because I personally changed out my headunit along with the subs. Again, it has been a common complaint so I was just bringing it up. Maybe try a search, might already be a few threads on this, or at least some explanation.

·
Registered
150 Posts
if u keep the stock dash unit, there are numerous reports of the ANC mics causing the feedback you hear. check the audio section or search feature for solutions. the solution is to disable the anc mics from what i recall. this issue has come up since 08. the mics are used to create or rather cancel out engine noise & ameliorate the lack of sound deadening material in the car. i guess it made more sense for honda to add ANC rather than properly dampen the noise w/ insulation or dynamat type materials. ANC is like the bose sound isolating headphones for airplanes that creates white noise or whatever its called. search function is your friend.

·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys... I really Appreciate the help, will search further on the topic of ANC mics and removal of such.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts