Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a passenger cranks up the temperature, it doesn’t seem to affect anything on my 2019 Accord Touring, whereas in my older Accord and Pilot, this action results in the passenger side fan going noticeably higher while quickly heating up the passenger side. Sounds like I have a defect. Has anyone experienced this issue? Can’t find anything online. I haven’t tried it with A/C yet as I live in a cold climate. Input appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
So I did some research. First I made sure the car was up to operating temperature. Next, I used the auto feature and set the temperature to 68°. I let the cabin warm up, then raised the passenger temp to HI. There appeared to be no noticeable change in temp between passenger and driver.

I then performed the same test using the vent selector. Once I switched to the floor vents and set the temps, there was a big difference between driver and passenger.

Also, make sure you are not driving in ECON mode as it could affect the fan speed per the owner's manual.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. I understand what you did to make the temp variance work by manually adjusting the vents, but you should not have to do that. You don’t have to take my 2006 Accord or 2013 Pilot out of Auto mode, which you are doing by adjusting the vents, to be able to vary the passenger temperature. Not sure why this changed. Seems wrong to me. Auto mode should decide what vents to use and adjust the fan speed / air temp accordingly. In other words, A/C blows out of upper vents; heat blows out of floor vents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i dont know if i have that issue (Will test later today) but my system either blows all cold, or all hot.There is no inbetween, so if i set it to 75 degrees to warm up faster and then change it to 65, it still blows what feels like max heat, and doesnt cool down until i go to LO. im getting my first oil change (Free) at the dealer later next month so i was just gonna wait till then to tell them. That isnt normal, right?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
"Passenger side fan going higher"? You mean there were multiple blower motors in your old accord?

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I mean is it should works like a true thermostat, adjusting the fan speed and/or air temp as needed to attain the desired temp. Then maintain it. Like I said, my passenger side adjusting seems to have zero effect on fan speed and/or air temp like it does in my 2006 Accord and 2013 Pilot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Row 'em
34 Posts
i dont know if i have that issue (Will test later today) but my system either blows all cold, or all hot.There is no inbetween, so if i set it to 75 degrees to warm up faster and then change it to 65, it still blows what feels like max heat, and doesnt cool down until i go to LO. im getting my first oil change (Free) at the dealer later next month so i was just gonna wait till then to tell them. That isnt normal, right?
Not sure if this is how the HVAC system works in full-auto mode, as I don't use that. But in theory, in any mode it should blow hot air only when the set temperature on the dial is higher than the actual cabin air temperature, and then start to cool off as the cabin temperature approaches the setting on the dial. However, in my experience, there's a lot of lag in the cabin air temperature sensor. It takes a lot longer to heat up than the cabin air itself does, so there is a period when the system continues to blow very hot air even after the desired temperature has been reached. This is especially vexing on cool, sunny days when sunshine quickly warms the cabin but the sensor lags way behind. My work-around is to turn the dial down to 60 degrees or lower until the sensor catches up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if this is how the HVAC system works in full-auto mode, as I don't use that. But in theory, in any mode it should blow hot air only when the set temperature on the dial is higher than the actual cabin air temperature, and then start to cool off as the cabin temperature approaches the setting on the dial. However, in my experience, there's a lot of lag in the cabin air temperature sensor. It takes a lot longer to heat up than the cabin air itself does, so there is a period when the system continues to blow very hot air even after the desired temperature has been reached. This is especially vexing on cool, sunny days when sunshine quickly warms the cabin but the sensor lags way behind. My work-around is to turn the dial down to 60 degrees or lower until the sensor catches up.
huh, that actually makes alot of sense. My previous car was a BMW and that just blew whatever temp you set it too, instead of blowing hot in a cold car to mix the air so to speak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is getting off track to my original post: the DUAL (passenger) auto climate control functionality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
But the blower motor DOES change speeds. You can hear it vary when adjusting the drivers side temp control but Not the passenger side. This is diffident from my 2006 Accord and 2013 Pilot. In sum, to me, there is no ‘dual’ temp control on my 2019 Accord. Does nothing. Worthless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I understand your response, but fan speed DOES increase/adjust as necessary on the Passenger side on my 2006 Accord and 2013 Pilot. Apparently something changed in Honda’s HVAC functionality since 2013. Or I have a defect. Regardless, as my 2019 Accord currently functions, it’s like having a dummy knob vs being able to affect passenger side temperature. Not happy about this.

·
Registered
303 Posts
As others have stated, I'm not aware of any Honda vehicle (including both of the cars your referenced) that have separate fans for both sides.The fan speed will be the same for driver and passenger regardless of temperature setting.

It may "feel" like one side is blowing harder but this is probably because the requested temperature is different than the ambient temperature giving you the sensation that the fan is blowing harder. But it is not, and it won't.

Here is the parts list for a 2006 Accord EXL V6 Navigation showing a single blower fan: 2006 Honda Accord 4 Door EX (V6 NAVIGATION) KL 5AT Heater Blower

Here is the parts list for a 2013 Pilot Touring showing a single blower fan: Heater Blower for 2013 Honda PILOT 5-DOOR | HondaParts

Not saying there is nothing wrong with your climate control, but you need to re-think your testing procedure.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the response. I understand what you did to make the temp variance work by manually adjusting the vents, but you should not have to do that. You don’t have to take my 2006 Accord or 2013 Pilot out of Auto mode, which you are doing by adjusting the vents, to be able to vary the passenger temperature. Not sure why this changed. Seems wrong to me. Auto mode should decide what vents to use and adjust the fan speed / air temp accordingly. In other words, A/C blows out of upper vents; heat blows out of floor vents.

But again it does not work like you think in this model year, and were given an answer as to how to get it to function the way you want. Problem solved.

·
HK Moderator
13,585 Posts
FYI: I once fixed a buddy's car that had a slightly stuck blend door actuator. The passenger side vent only opened 1/2 way, while the driver's side was fully opened. So we thought- at first without searching the Ford forum because we were losers (my friend owned a Ford, after all, and I did not stop him from buying it) that one of the blowers must be going out.

Nope, just the blend door.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts