Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious for those of you driving 2013 Accords with the auto-dimming rearview mirror. The 2014 Accords are coming with an improved rearview mirror that does a better job of dimming the lights of cars behind you.

I just got a 2013 Accord and haven't done any real night driving yet but for those of you who've had the car for several months, how do you like the rearview mirror? Does it do a decent job of dimming the lights on the cars behind you?

Obviously, I'll find out for myself how good it is once I get more miles under my belt but I was just curious to hear how other Accord owners felt.

Thanks for any comments or replies! :thmsup:

·
Registered
492 Posts
The improved auto dimming rear view mirror from my understanding is just that they removed the button to turn it off which makes it smarter...? performance should be the same.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
103 Posts
Just curious for those of you driving 2013 Accords with the auto-dimming rearview mirror. The 2014 Accords are coming with an improved rearview mirror that does a better job of dimming the lights of cars behind you.

I just got a 2013 Accord and haven't done any real night driving yet but for those of you who've had the car for several months, how do you like the rearview mirror? Does it do a decent job of dimming the lights on the cars behind you?

Not sure about the better job part but could just be the marketing department having their fun. I like it and yes it does a decent job to me at least.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The improved auto dimming rear view mirror from my understanding is just that they removed the button to turn it off which makes it smarter...? performance should be the same.
I could be wrong but I thought I read on this forum that some people had complained to Honda that it didn't do a good enough job of dimming the lights and that Honda redesigned it a bit to fix that (but I'm not 100% sure on that).

I hope it does a good job because those things aren't cheap to replace (if anyone decides to go that route).

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure about the better job part but could just be the marketing department having their fun. I like it and yes it does a decent job to me at least.
Glad to hear you're happy with yours'...I hope I find mine to work well, too. I've only had the car for three days and haven't done much night driving yet but so far I am really enjoying this car. :D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Funny that they would "improve" the rear view dimming but leave the @#[email protected]#$ drivers side mirror the same. I HATE that thing. HATE HATE HATE it.

The rear view dimming seems just fine to me.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I have 30% tint on my car, so I don't have any issues with the mirror dimming or not dimming.

·
Luv2Drum
119 Posts
Mine seems to adequately do the job.

·
Chicago Honda
126 Posts
Mine does not do very well. It's true that other vehicles mirrors I've driven seem to do a better job of dimming. I found myself turning it off ad on the other night because. Couldn't believe if it was even on or not. If the 2014 is improved for this I wouldn't be surprised.

Not to hijack this thread but does anyone know of a film u can put on the side view mirrors to help with dimming like the acura tl has?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I never really notice mine so it must be doing a decent job.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funny that they would "improve" the rear view dimming but leave the @#[email protected]#$ drivers side mirror the same. I HATE that thing. HATE HATE HATE it.

Yeh, that drives me crazy, too. The Mazda 6 comes with auto-dimming side mirrors in their top-of-the-line GT trim level so I know it doesn't cost a fortune to do it. Too bad Honda couldn't have done the same thing. One solution is to just turn your outside mirrors up or down to eliminate the light at night but, obviously, you have no visibility at that point (at least from the mirrors...can always look over your shoulders).

Otherwise, I really love this car.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 30% tint on my car, so I don't have any issues with the mirror dimming or not dimming.
Haha...yeh I guess that would pretty much block the lights! I live in Virginia where 50% is the max you can go on the tint. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine does not do very well. It's true that other vehicles mirrors I've driven seem to do a better job of dimming. I found myself turning it off ad on the other night because. Couldn't believe if it was even on or not. If the 2014 is improved for this I wouldn't be surprised.

Not to hijack this thread but does anyone know of a film u can put on the side view mirrors to help with dimming like the acura tl has?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I've only driven once at night so far (have only owned the car for 3 days) and I noticed the same thing. I didn't see much of a difference when I turned it off and on so I guess time will tell how effective it really is.

I could always put a new auto-dimming mirror in my car but it seems kinda stupid to do that on a brand new car (especially considering how expensive those things are).

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yeh, that drives me crazy, too. The Mazda 6 comes with auto-dimming side mirrors in their top-of-the-line GT trim level so I know it doesn't cost a fortune to do it. Too bad Honda couldn't have done the same thing. One solution is to just turn your outside mirrors up or down to eliminate the light at night but, obviously, you have no visibility at that point (at least from the mirrors...can always look over your shoulders).

Otherwise, I really love this car.
Honda holds out on those until you spend at least $56k on a SUV or $60k on a FWD sedan. It must cost a fortune!

Then again, that Mazda is the only midsize family sedan I've seen with it as an option. Everyone else forces you to buy a fullsize sedan, first. Only real problem is, Honda doesn't make a fullsize family sedan in their lineup. They are the only major automaker not to do so.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
I prefer my manual mirror. It doesn't cost a fortune and it's so easy to operate, a caveman can do it.

·
20th Gear
2020 Honda Accord Touring 2.0
149 Posts
Haha...yeh I guess that would pretty much block the lights! I live in Virginia where 50% is the max you can go on the tint. :dunno:
Actually you can do 50% front (driver/pass) and 35% on rear windows.:wave:

·
Registered
186 Posts

Right on. Me too. I've been trying to find a way to change the angle of the driver's side mirror so that it will reflect the light back to the face of whoever trying to blind me through my side mirror...

The auto dimming mirror only works if the distance between our cars and the one behind is far enough. When it gets too close that we don't see their lights through the rear mirror, we need an auto dimming side mirror :))

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I prefer my manual mirror. It doesn't cost a fortune and it's so easy to operate, a caveman can do it.
LOL :lmao:

If I replace my current mirror I might just get one of the manual ones because I'm pretty sure the auto-dimming ones are in the $400-$600 range. So far, I haven't driven at night except for one time so it's too early to tell if it will do the job for me...fingers crossed that it will!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually you can do 50% front (driver/pass) and 35% on rear windows.:wave:
Cool, thanks for that info! I have a silver sedan so tinted windows would look pretty cool. My only concern is how much it will obstruct my vision looking out at other cars. I'm in the Northern VA area where the traffic and drivers are horrendous so it's always nice to be able to see the morons who blow through intersections and do other stupid things behind the wheel. :paranoid:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts