Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I noticed a weird issue with the car last night. I had taken the family out earlier in the day and when we came home last night, there was a rather strong thunderstorm. Typically, when we go on long trips, we hook up the portable video monitors so the kids can watch a movie. As I was sitting in the car last night taking the monitors out (with the doors closed), the car kept on locking itself after 30 seconds.

While this wasn't a problem, what I found strange is that the car was locking itself with the fob inside the car. I took it out of my pocket just in case to make sure the button wasn't getting pressed somehow and placed it on top of the center armrest and it kept happening.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would be happening? I was under the impression that the car wouldn't lock itself with the keys in it?

·
Elvira - the car
3,514 Posts
Hi Gang,

I noticed a weird issue with the car last night. I had taken the family out earlier in the day and when we came home last night, there was a rather strong thunderstorm. Typically, when we go on long trips, we hook up the portable video monitors so the kids can watch a movie. As I was sitting in the car last night taking the monitors out (with the doors closed), the car kept on locking itself after 30 seconds.

While this wasn't a problem, what I found strange is that the car was locking itself with the fob inside the car. I took it out of my pocket just in case to make sure the button wasn't getting pressed somehow and placed it on top of the center armrest and it kept happening.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would be happening? I was under the impression that the car wouldn't lock itself with the keys in it?
I'm guessing that the thunderstorm and rain was causing the locks to lock/unlock.
This happens to me and some others here have stated as such when they wash the car. While washing the car, if the water runs onto the handle it cycles the locks. I usually need to move the key into the house away from the car.

This is probably what happened to you.

Was the car sitting outside in the rain while you were inside the car removing the monitors?

I agree though that the key inside would/should prevent the locks from setting. Were the locks setting then unlocking repeatedly?

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
So if the fob is inside the car and the handle gets wet, the locks could lock and unlock? Weird, but I guess that as long as the fob is kept with you all is good. I hear about the signal boosters and now this maybe this technology was rolled out too soon.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the odd part. It's my understanding that the feature prevents the fob from being locked in the vehicle.

I'm going to test it later today and see if this still manifests itself when there's no rain.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Please update us and let us know! I'd be very interested to see what happens. Locking yourself out of the car in the rain would be a horrible series of events lol

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, a small update (and I think I may have figured it out...)

So, I went outside and unlocked all doors with the fob and then i opened the rear door, got inside, sat down and then I closed the door. Placed the fob on the rear seat and proceeded to wait for the 1 minute timeout i set in the car and nothing. The car didn't lock itself this time. The interior dome lights dimmed out and nothing. I counted to a minute and nothing.

My theory is that I may have accidentally hit the lock button while my fob was in my pocket the other night, which basically told the car "I'm locking it now but, I have unlocked you briefly", the car then used the timeout feature and that's what caused it to lock every thirty seconds after I would hit the unlock button on the fob every time the car would lock.

I'll keep an eye on this and see if it happens again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts