Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 09 ex 2.4 automatic, bought it at 45k 14 months ago now its almost at 75k the transmission fluid looks diluted but still colored pink today. Last time I checked it the other day I managed to wipe a loose metal shaving off the dipstick. For all I know the fluid in there now has been in since 09. Should I drian/fill 3 times myself and clean the pan change gasket filter/screen or take it to honda for a flush?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Honda doesn't flush, either. Flushing is not recommended. The 3x procedure works well, and if you're up for it, it's a relatively simple, if time-consuming, task.

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,019 Posts
Yep, drain and fill yourself 3x. Grab the fluid from the dealer.

It is stupid easy to do. Easier than an OC.

·
Registered
206 Posts
With my old 04 Maxima, which had notorious trans problems, I had it drained and vacuumed out at a local Goodyear garage. It was not flushed, which is under pressure, it was sucked out and was able to get all of the old fluid out in one shot and not the 3 drain and fills which will always leave some amount of the old, dirty fluid behind. It was like $120 for the service and replaced with a synthetic trans fluid. I would go this route again when its time on my Accord.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yep, drain and fill yourself 3x. Grab the fluid from the dealer.

It is stupid easy to do. Easier than an OC.
Easy yes, easier than an oil change, no. I had to remove the plastic under-the-engine-panel to get to the automatic transmission drain plug.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a external filter i can change as well? On my 03 accord i once mistook the tranny drain plug and filter for the engine oil and ended up draining by accident. I was hoping a tranny filter would be just as easy to change this time around on my 09. I just downloaded the service manual but im still looking through the 3000 pages to find out if i even have a filter or just a internal non removable screen?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also do any of you remember exactly how much fluid drains out each time? Is it over or under 3 qt? Do i buy 3 or 4 qts from the dealer to be safe? & if for some reason i get the choice between dw1 and z1 fluid which should i choose assuming the fluid in there already is z1?

·
4,062 Posts
Yes there is a filter. It's directly underneath the engine bay fuse box on the back of the tranny. You'll see hoses coming out of it. It's not an item that is supposed to be replaced, but it can be done with a combination of pliers and patience. Search section 4 - transaxle. Don't have it open right now so just going by memory.

Use DW1 fluid.

In theory it's about 2.5 qts that drains out. For me it was pretty much exactly 3 probably because the manual says to drain on level ground and I did it on front-only jackstands. I started by filling it with 2.5, driving around to warm it up, then when I checked it I had to add another .5 to get it to the proper level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would you recommend i change that filter now at 75k? My mecanically inclined friend who will be helping me do all this wants to also drop and clean the pan during the first drain. He says theres no point in the 3x3x3 change if you never drop and clean the bottom of the pan since thats where all the dirt goes. Should i remove the filter and/or pan the 1st time around draining?

·
4,062 Posts
The service manual doesn't call for dropping the pan, which seems to be something you do only on cars that don't have a drain plug. Comparison: do you drop the oil pan every time you change the oil?

You need to do the 3x drain and fill (driving the car around the block and going through gears between each cycle) not because it "cleans the pan" as your friend is thinking, but because the tranny holds 8 qts of fluid in the valve body and torque converter that can't be drained out. So the gist is 3 qts drained * 3 times gets 90% of the old fluid out of the tranny, and driving in between each drain mixes the old and new fluid.

At 75k, you probably should change the filter. OEM costs $20 or so.

·
Registered
268 Posts
3x drain and fill. I wouldnt mess with the filter as the service manual says only to replace if leaking or if replacing the transmission. Also, dropping the pan isnt part of the maintenance schedule either. the plug has a magnetic tip which is meant to attract much of the loose particles in there. Other than that, just drain and replace the fluid. Definitely dont let anybody flush the transmission in a Honda.

·
Registered
534 Posts
3x drain and fill. I wouldnt mess with the filter as the service manual says only to replace if leaking or if replacing the transmission. Also, dropping the pan isnt part of the maintenance schedule either. the plug has a magnetic tip which is meant to attract much of the loose particles in there. Other than that, just drain and replace the fluid. Definitely dont let anybody flush the transmission in a Honda.
Ever word of this excellent post bears repeating. Spot on.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Maintance reminder for trans fluid change.

I have around 38k miles on my car. I am yet to see any maintenance reminder for transmission fluid. I am taking my car to Honda shop tomorrow for oil change (B1). Wondering, if i need to ask them to change trans fluid as well. Is there any specific fluid I need to ask them to put in.
Thanks.

·
4,062 Posts
I have around 38k miles on my car. I am yet to see any maintenance reminder for transmission fluid. I am taking my car to Honda shop tomorrow for oil change (B1). Wondering, if i need to ask them to change trans fluid as well. Is there any specific fluid I need to ask them to put in.
Thanks.
They'll know to put DW1 in. Really don't want to use anything else in our trannies.

30k miles I think was the "severe" maint schedule for changing tranny fluid pre MM. 90k was the "normal" recommendation. I just do a single drain and fill every oil change....simplifies everything and negates the need to do 3 drain-fills all at once down the road.

·
Registered
238 Posts
They'll know to put DW1 in. Really don't want to use anything else in our trannies.

30k miles I think was the "severe" maint schedule for changing tranny fluid pre MM. 90k was the "normal" recommendation. I just do a single drain and fill every oil change....simplifies everything and negates the need to do 3 drain-fills all at once down the road.
Looks like "3" is MM for replacing trans fluid which I am yet to get it. I can wait until I see MM right? Typically when do you guys get (after how many miles) MM for replacing trans fluid?

·
4,062 Posts
If you want to go by the MM...probably no issues. Many people on here like me are just paranoid / fanatic about maintenance and do either 30k or 60k changes. You could probably call the dealer and they'll know when cars typically come in for a tranny change based on MM.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you want to go by the MM...probably no issues. Many people on here like me are just paranoid / fanatic about maintenance and do either 30k or 60k changes. You could probably call the dealer and they'll know when cars typically come in for a tranny change based on MM.
Thanks for the feedback. I will ask service supervisor and go by his recommendations.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did my trans fluid change yesterday for the first time on my 2011 Accord, I'm at about 37K miles now and it may be overkill but on black Friday college hills Honda had free shipping and no tax so I spent about $40 on 6 quarts of trans fluid. It did take exactly 3 quarts each drain for me (car on ramps), and I did it twice. The first drain the old fluid didn't look bad, but sure didn't look like the new stuff either - old was like a dark purpleish color and new is cherry red. No metal bits on the magnetic plug is good. Other than the splash guard you have to remove with its 16 plastic clips (proud to say didn't break a single one!) its a very easy job to do, but I'm glad that I don't have to do it again for say 35K-40K miles!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts