Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im new here on top of that im from accross the pond ,just bought a 2000 accord ,and then did the research afterwards [ i know plonker ] and saw that these car are prone to autobox problems , ie they overheat due to blocked fluid filters that you cant get at ,being honest i have not looked at the set up yet its winter here and freezing rain ,does anyone have any pointers on this gearbox ?

what fluid does it need ? are there any vids out there showing any tips or hints ?
One thing i did notice is the cooler tube in the front looks rusty to the point of it could pop soon ,im going to put a cooler in the front anyway ,any help with this model would be appreciated .

If any one needs service info on 50s /60s cars /scooters /motor cycles / or reliant scimitars i may be able to help .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the site. I'm simon and I live down south near Brighton so there are a few Brits on here

I have a accord coupe v6 auto, and it uses Hondas on fluid. It's like dectron3 but with a cleaning agent I.e. you can't use dextr0n 3. I brought 5 litres from honda which cost me over 50 quid. Honda have released a newer fluid dw something or other and I brought a 4 litre bottle on eBay.

I think regular oil flushes are more important that a oil cooler. Saying that, the auto box will eventually fail, whether 50k or 150k, it will go.

Sbk

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Is your 2000 Accord a 4 cyl or V6? The V6 cars have the most transmission problems.

None of the 6th gen Honda Accords (1998-2002) do have a factory transmission filter to plug up, but lacking a filter, the valve body and other small passages can plug up with clutch material and cause the transmission to fail. There are aftermarket filters (Magnefine) which can be added to one of the cooler lines if you like.

Changing the ATF frequently can also extend the life of these transmissions. There is a well known Youtube video called the "10 minute transmission flush" that is easy to do on a 4 cyl Accord (not so easy on a V6). I have done this and it works well. Its even easier to do a 3 quart drain and refill repeated several times. I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF which works well and is less costly than the Honda DW1, but I dont know whats available over there.

If you do a search on this forum there are many transmission threads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello
yes bought the 4 pot one, i did a plonker thing and bought it first and then did the research afterwards relying on honda,s reputation for reliability ,after some research im begining to wish i had not got it .

its got 68 on the clock one owner and a lot of service history i even phoned up the garage that changed the cam belt at 60 just to check ,the box is sweet as a nut [AT THE MOMENT ] i found the surface area of the filter is prone to clog causing fluid starvation also that the fluid is prone to over heat so i will fit a separate cooler ,i have an infra heat gun so i can check the temp after a run .
mine is a 2000 model everything works fine but its a bummer when the gearboxes are crap .

bought the wife a Seat Arosa auto =the gearbox had a mind of its own = scary to drive decided to sort it my self ,went to a Seat dealer and asked if i could use dex 3 he said yes =went home flushed it went down the road and same thing happened= did the research found that they only use VW spec fluid =£65 [fkme ] i thought =took it all apart again cleaned it all up and 3 years on no probs .

If the honds had an oil pan on the box i would change the filter but todays trend = sealed for life crap , its not like its an easy box to get out either
im 65 now i dont need the hassel they should have made it with a sump pan .

but i do like the car though.

hello again i used to have a lot automatics and always fitted extra magnets on the casings
to trap any magnet crap it keeps the wear factor down on the seals ,also in the past i have drained the fluid out put the plug back in and then put 2ltr of white spirit in jacked up a drive wheels and put the box through all of the gears then drained it started it up put it through the gears again to get the rest out it has worked well on borg warner boxes and realy gets the crap out so im going to do it on the Honda if it goes bang i will let you know .

Having a look at the bottom of a Honda rad while i was getting the power steering cooler of one in the scrapyard i noticed that the lower section of the radiator /cooler was blocked up with all sorts so im going to jet wash mine out just to be safe .

If any of you lads need any service spec on 1960,s motors/cycles /scooters i have a lots of old service info , also i found that Eric the car guy on the utube is the doge bollox for most anthing auto .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts