Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
THE ROAD TO SAIKYO
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for my first accord.

I see that for a 2013 V6 Accord EX-L The gas mileage for an automatic ranges between 21 MPG City/32 MPG Highway, while a manual is: 18 MPG City/ 28 MPG Highway. Same model car, same engine, same year. Am I missing something? Shouldn't the gas mileage be about the same? Yes these figures are approximations, but still.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
Coupe?

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts

I see that for a 2013 V6 Accord EX-L The gas mileage for an automatic ranges between 21 MPG City/32 MPG Highway, while a manual is: 18 MPG City/ 28 MPG Highway. Same model car, same engine, same year. Am I missing something? Shouldn't the gas mileage be about the same? Yes these figures are approximations, but still.
The V6 6MT does not have VCM, which explains much of the difference in fuel mileage under highway cruising conditions.

Plus, the automatic has a higher (numerically lower) overall ratio (6th gear ratio x final drive ratio) than the V6 6MT.

I have not checked, but the 6AT 1-5 gears ratios may be higher (numerically lower), as well.

You can view the transmission and final drive ratios in the link below:

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-coupe/specifications.aspx

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
The V6 6MT does not have VCM, which explains much of the difference in fuel mileage under highway cruising conditions.

Plus, the automatic has a higher (numerically lower) overall ratio (6th gear ratio x final drive ratio) than the V6 6MT.

I have not checked, but the 6AT 1-5 gears ratios may be higher (numerically lower), as well.
Graycar nailed it.

·
THE ROAD TO SAIKYO
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Graycar nailed it.
Yeah he did. Thanks @Graycar.

Well now the question is do I get a manual anyway. Never owned nor driven one before and I would like my new car to be a manual. However, I do a lot of driving and if I can save money on gas, then maybe I should get the auto and just get another car in manual.

And I didn't know what VMT was but looked it up. Here it is if anyone wants to reference what that means.

·
Reverse Gear
999 Posts

I am an avid fan of the Manual Transmission. Seeing the difference in numbers does make me pause though. As others have said, the VCM on the auto versions accounts for the better mileage much more than the ratio differences in the gears. I cannot speak for the V6 in a manual, but the figures they publish for the Auto V6 mileage are very much on target. I have owned many manual and automatic cars over the years. My manual cars have always averaged the median between the published city and highway numbers. Until I got the accord V6, I always averaged the published city number in Automatics. So far I've been averaging 26 mpg in my EX-L V6. I project that I would have gotten 23 - 24 if my car was a manual. This is purely a projection, so take it for what it is worth.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts

Well now the question is do I get a manual anyway. Never owned nor driven one before and I would like my new car to be a manual. However, I do a lot of driving and if I can save money on gas, then maybe I should get the auto and just get another car in manual.

And I didn't know what VMT was but looked it up. Here it is if anyone wants to reference what that means.
For the small fuel economy difference its a no brainer to go with the 6MT V6... it is one of the best cars Honda still makes.

VCM is annoyance to a lot of V6 AT owners. You should read up a little bit on the drawbacks of having cylinders deactivate while driving. It has come a long way but many curse it's existence.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
If I may add….

In addition to the 6AT V6-engine having VCM and longer highway gears, the EPA test methodology is different for the MT. Honda assumes MT drivers over-rev for optimal fuel mileage and purposely understate their EPA estimates. (It avoids complaints and potential lawsuits.) The EPA numbers Honda publishes for the MT are extremely conservative. It is easy to exceed the stated estimates.

I live in suburban NJ, plagued by traffic lights and slow moving traffic OR very aggressive traffic -depends on the time of day. Driving 66% city and 33% highway, my 6-6 averages 26 mpg winter and 28 mpg summer. At 75 mph it delivers 32-34 mpg, depending on season. The MT’s fuel mileage really depends on how the car is driven. The standard deviation among drivers is far greater with a MT than with a computer controlled automatic.

·
HK Moderator
13,889 Posts
Since you live in Saikyo, I would get the automatic transmission as rush hour traffic will only get worse in Japan.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The VCM in the 6 cylinder sedan does wonders for MPG's. It really brings the car to 4cyl MPG range on the highway and lower in the city. A VCM 6CYL sedan gets way better gas mileage than a 4 cylinder SUV I would just like to point out so if you have more than 1 car, the Accord V6 could be the MPG winner in your driveway.

VCM is not a big deal as far as drivetrain feel. The AT definitely restricts the pure feel of the V6 but sport mode helps a lot but paddle shifters would be the best (too bad not offered in the sedan) to hold gears. The manual must be the best if you can deal with it every day. Overall, Honda has done a great job finding the sweet spot of it's V6 offerings but there will always be tradeoffs.

·
Registered
661 Posts

Get the 4 cylinder sedan 6mt. It has plenty of power, I chirp the tires by accident every now and then. You want gas milage? It's rated at 24/34(28 combined) but if you're driving for economy, 40 mpg is very doable. The 34 is what you'll get if you're doing 80 with the ac blasting and passing everyone. Lifetime average for my car is 29.8 and best trip was 650 miles averaging 42.9. That was one single tank btw. You can have great gas milage and have a fun car! Better yet, get a sport. Best value for your money right there. (Plus twice pipes)

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts

If fuel mileage is an important consideration, then get the AT. The 6MT is worthwhile if you really do want a manual as it's a unique car in Honda's lineup (the only V6 Manual they offer).

·
THE ROAD TO SAIKYO
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If fuel mileage is an important consideration, then get the AT. The 6MT is worthwhile if you really do want a manual as it's a unique car in Honda's lineup (the only V6 Manual they offer).
Yeah fuel mileage is important. I average about 222 miles every other week. When I go to Houston.

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
He's looking at an EX-L V6 Coupe 6AT.

A Sport 6MT is neither a coupe, nor an automatic, nor a V6, nor an EX-L...

You've literally recommended the car farthest from his selection.

As a side note I'm willing to bet that a V6 6AT gets real world highway mileage that's within measurement error (+/- 1mpg) of an I4 6MT.
He said he was interested in getting a mt. He also wants good gas milage. A 6mt ex or a sport fit that perfectly.

As a side note to your side note, the i4 will get real world 40mpg. I'd like to see the v6 do that in anything like actual driving conditions.

Plus the i4 has no timing belt to break.

It's no big deal to learn stick, op. This is my first manual car and it is very easy to handle. Prior to driving my accord off the lot I had perhaps 45-60 minutes of actual cumulative driving time in manual trans cars.

Btw op, if you're only interested in the v6, let me know and I'll shut up lol.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
I never forget test driving a Toyota Matrix XRS (the one with the 1.8L motor from the Celica GTS)... and I must have rode the clutch pretty hard as the smell after the test drive was horrible... the salesman was like DUDE don't buy a brand new 30k car to learn manual on... buy a sh*tbox and figure it out.... lol

I ended up buying a new civic coupe and unfortunately I miss-shifted and bent a few valves trying to be a hero the first few months of ownership... so if you are not comfortable with manual perhaps as this salesman once suggested to me... learn on something older first.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts