Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
OBSIDIANBLUE
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I even cared to buy a car with auto anything.
I think the last vehicle I remember being even remotely luxury was a used Cadillac of which none of this stuff worked properly if it even worked.
Anyway,these auto wipers are to me the best reactionary electronics this vehicle has.
I'm always trying to control every aspect of what a vehicle does.In this case the wipers.
Since getting my car I've been thru various storms and really couple of big storms.
I don't know if the guy who was in charge of these wiper computer boards or however it works was really feel'n it or something but mine are so perfect.
It's about a half a second after each strength of wiper is called for.
like if it's sprinkling enough then boom it's on it.
If it's really raining and then up ticks to a heavier rain then boom it's right there with the various level of rain.
So I'm really really happy with how they work and it's becoming a must have as someone like me doesn't want that total control so much anymore.
I'm thinking even as a safety issue that they be required in vehicles but that is a little wackie maybe.
They do something for you so you can do something else espesially in rainy conditions.
I just wanted to say something about them and see if I'm missing something or everyone is in agreement.
I'm not even sure which models they are available with auto-wipe.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the EX-L and I don't think mine came with auto wipe at least as far as I can tell but when I use the intermittent wipers and come to a light they do slow down and then speed up to the setting once in motion.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,893 Posts
I still wouldn't want them, or most of the other "safety" features which, collectively, are a major distraction from driving plus they fail regularly. Instead of relying on this stuff, we should pay more attention to what's outside the car. I caused an accident 4 years ago messing with my cell phone. That was a wake-up call. Eff the phone, automatic dimming, lane change warnings, anti collision warnings, auto idle stop, whatever. Nav and backup camera are great but I'll dim my own lights thank you, stay in my lane, turn off cruise control with my thumb, leave the phone in my pocket, play music on CDs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I still wouldn't want them, or most of the other "safety" features which, collectively, are a major distraction from driving plus they fail regularly. Instead of relying on this stuff, we should pay more attention to what's outside the car. I caused an accident 4 years ago messing with my cell phone. That was a wake-up call. Eff the phone, automatic dimming, lane change warnings, anti collision warnings, auto idle stop, whatever. Nav and backup camera are great but I'll dim my own lights thank you, stay in my lane, turn off cruise control with my thumb, leave the phone in my pocket, play music on CDs.

But if everything automatic, wouldn’t that allow the driver pay more attention to the road instead of fidgeting with controls?

·
OBSIDIANBLUE
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But if everything automatic, wouldn’t that allow the driver pay more attention to the road instead of fidgeting with controls?

That's what I'm saying just about the wipers in this situation.
When you have mother nature throwing down on you with rapidly changing conditions you want to keep both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road..
Now as old as I am and the literally thousands of times I've used wiper controls these are very close to what I would do with manual wipers but much faster and more reliable than I would.
Do you ever remember riding down the road with your wipers running fast when they need not be?Just letting them run when there isn't any rain?
Ever click them fast when you mean't slow?

These leave you open to use your turn signals more.etc

It's like traction control for your windshield.
Formula one cars have had so when the computer senses traction loss it switches wheels and holds the motor back to adjust for better traction.
Same for the windshield the computer is seeking out the loss of vision thru the windshield and adjust for that.
Instead of traction loss vision loss.

·
REV29K
556 Posts
We have rain sensing wipers on our CR-V Touring and, in my experience, they work well. I don't have them in the 2018 Accord and can't say I really miss not having them though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the EX-L and I don't think mine came with auto wipe at least as far as I can tell but when I use the intermittent wipers and come to a light they do slow down and then speed up to the setting once in motion.
I just noticed this also. I think it just slows down at a stop when the intermittent dial is turned up all the way. Not truly rain sensing. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I enjoy the auto sensing wipers, works great for me. I don't drive much at night but auto dimming headlights seems to work good also. I like the brake auto hold. Don't use much of the other sensing unless on a trip. Auto headlights is cool too. I like gadgets.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I just noticed this also. I think it just slows down at a stop when the intermittent dial is turned up all the way. Not truly rain sensing. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Only the Touring trim has the rain sensing wipers.

Rain sensing wipers have the word "AUTO" on the wiper stalk. Otherwise, standard intermittent wipers have "INT" on the wiper stalk.

BTW, I love my automatic rain sensing wipers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Only the Touring trim has the rain sensing wipers.

Rain sensing wipers have the word "AUTO" on the wiper stalk. Otherwise, standard intermittent wipers have "INT" on the wiper stalk.

BTW, I love my automatic rain sensing wipers.
I can imagine. it would be nice to not have to adjust them constantly during rainfall.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Rain-sensing wipers are a great feature, especially in light rain, and when a lot of what hits the windshield is really spray from other cars. You can get spoiled by the feature real fast.... I like how the sensitivity of the rain-sensing can be adjusted, using what is normally the intermittent rate-adjust for the non-Touring trims.

The downside of rain-sensing wipers is that it makes your windshield more expensive, if you ever have to replace it (although my insurance company is very good about windshield replacement...). Although maybe some of the other safety features have already made the windshield pretty expensive....

·
OBSIDIANBLUE
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was wanting to ask if anyone knows what to expect with Auto-Wipers in the snow?

Anyone have experience in the snow with these?

Why would it make it more expensive?Does it have to be replaced by dealer because of Honda sensing?

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I was wanting to ask if anyone knows what to expect with Auto-Wipers in the snow?

Anyone have experience in the snow with these?
It should work in the same way as rain...as almost any interruption to the LEDs will trip the wipers.

Why would it make it more expensive?Does it have to be replaced by dealer because of Honda sensing?
Well, because there's a light senser built into it, that's tied into your wiper switch..another part built in + wiring it to the switch= more money, in parts and labor.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You're jumbling a lot of thoughts together here. You're also flat-out wrong according to the science.

The wipers aren't perfect, but the switch is right where you expect it to be if you have to use it manually. Adjusting your wipers because the auto system didn't notice that you just got sprayed lightly by the mist coming off the car in front of you is no more distracting than doing the exact same thing without auto wipers.

Anti-Collision warnings and collision avoidance braking have had a MASSIVE impact on collisions in the cars equipped with them. Here is some reading for you:

https://orfe.princeton.edu/~alaink/SmartDrivingCars/Papers/IIHS-CicchinoEffectivenessOfCWS-Jan2016.pdf

Here is a summary:

Results:FCW alone and FCW with AEB reduced rear-end striking crash involvement rates by
23% and 39%, respectively.

Lots more results to read, there. You can wag your finger and tell people to pay more attention, but that won't DO anything. The collision avoidance systems in every Accord, on the other hand, dramatically reduce collisions. Or, put another way, also from the academic article linked:

Approximately 700,000 U.S. police-reported rear-end crashes in 2013
and 300,000 injuries in such crashes could have been prevented if all vehicles were equipped with FCW
with AEB that performs similarly as it did for study vehicles.

Also, wtf CDs? You think you're a safer driver because you use CDs? Siri literally plays any song I ask her to...

Take your holier than thou attitude elsewhere. Technology is GOOD for safety. It doesn't take the danger out of driving, and we need to remain vigilant as drivers, but the tech definitely helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So how many of you cannot stand this windshield wiper? There is no intermediate. I know you will say it's rain sensing....rain is there but doesn't always work. I hate that. I can't take it off and go to a timed point of wiping. Honda says they have heard it before but how many of you feel that way?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm quite happy with my automatic wipers. They work very well, coming alive when I want them and going back to sleep when the windshield is dry. My truck has this feature too and I like having it in both vehicles.

- Jack

·
Registered
297 Posts
So how many of you cannot stand this windshield wiper? There is no intermediate. I know you will say it's rain sensing....rain is there but doesn't always work. I hate that. I can't take it off and go to a timed point of wiping. Honda says they have heard it before but how many of you feel that way?
You do realize that you have to turn rain sensing on, don't you? And if you leave the selector below that point, it is intermittent?

Edit: I forgot to get the next page (p 201 in the 2018 Accord Owner's Manual):

1 - 20 of 23 Posts