Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,
I was wondering perhaps you experience and geniuses could help me with your divine wisdom.
I want to attach a hose to the male connector of the transmission return hose, and I want to have the other end of that hose going into a gallon size container of fresh OEM ATF fluid. I would also have the line bled so no air gets into the transmission.
My question is:
- Will the transmission directly sock in the new fluid as the old drains out into the other container? Or will I have to manually pour it in?

I really want to try this method and see if this would work. My auto has 165,000 miles and it is need of new transmission fluid replacement. I want to directly replace the old fluid with Genuine Honda ATF. I want to make sure very little air gets in the transmission parts.

- Has anyone else tried this before was it a sucess?
- Any updated tips to this article?
- Do I need to remove the Oxygen (O2) sensor for performing this setup?

If anyone has a video or snapshots of performing this procedure please post them.

Cheers
Best wishes
Timsta

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,676 Posts
I've never seen a video that proves this would work. There are questions I have. Can you get the fluid into the transmission, at the same rate it flows out? And, if you're not shifting the transmission through all the gears, do you really get all the old fluid out? How many quarts of fluid would you use up, to really get a complete flush? How do the techs do it at the dealership?

·
Registered
2006 Accord EX-L
1,163 Posts
If I remember correctly, Honda specially said that you cannot flush the transmission because the risk of damaging the transmission is too high. However, the flush and fill x 3 method is what they recommend.

·
Mike
779 Posts
Forget about air in the return line. The return line dumps/sprays cooled oil into the top and middle of the trans case which is vented and not an air tight sealed unit anyway. Pumped oil is pulled from the trans sump via a screen filter and not from the return line.

The problem with this procedure, apart from adding a few more thing that can go wrong, is you won't remove the build up of residue in the sump of the trans case. That's why you should get the trans nice and hot (longish drive) and immediately drain the fluid. This helps keep some debris in suspension long enough to easily flow out of the drain plug. You would still have to undo the magnetic drain plug anyway to clean it.

IMHO we should do everything to keep oil and trans sump as clean as possible. The kind of flush you describe will not accomplish this and of course a power flush (different again) could create even more issues, is it worth taking that chance? Not for me anyway.

·
Super Moderator
6,615 Posts
There is a video out there by this dude but I don't recommend it,

But this is not recommended. I once had a shop flush the transmission on my old 98 Accord V6 using the T-Tech fluid exchanger, http://www.asedeals.com/ttech_fluid_exchanger.html , quite frankly I think it made things worse. I would get sudden super quick jerky shifts between 2nd and 3rd gear. Some metal deposits don't come out when you keep the drain plug in place. And when you do a power flush, it pushes those metal deposits around the hydraulic channels.

Plus, how are you planning on doing a "home" flush? When you do a flush, you need to hook up long hoses to the hard metal transmission cooling lines and the 7th gen's trans cooling lines are all the way near the back side. If you are simply wanting to do this because you are lazy then I strongly recommend NO. Do a drain a fill 3 times. Transmission fluid change takes less time than an oil because you aren't always changing out the filter, although there is one.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Hello Folks,
I was wondering perhaps you experience and geniuses could help me with your divine wisdom.
Divine Wisdom hath spoken. Don't do a power flush nor anything other than a drain and fill procedure.

If you are a new member stumbling upon this thread a few years from now- just understand this: Do the drain and fill procedure for your automatic transmission- nothing else.

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
okie doke.

so how long do you run the engine/drive before dumping, and refilling?

do i use dextron lll for the 3 dump, and fills, then dump, and fill with honda oil?

is the dextron compatible with honda oil? meaning can you mix them without issue? i want to only use honda atf.

my cars atf was changed at a honda dealer at 74134 miles. i dont have my service manual in hand, so is 74000 miles the time for the first trany service? i want to get everything updated service wise. oil, and filter was done before i bought it last week monday at 5:35 pm. want to do the break fluid, and coolant as well before winter sets in as well.

not trying to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yea, dont bother with the flush, and like its been said..its not easy to do one on an Accord anyway because of the absence of cooler lines at the radiator

okie doke.

so how long do you run the engine/drive before dumping, and refilling?

do i use dextron lll for the 3 dump, and fills, then dump, and fill with honda oil?

is the dextron compatible with honda oil? meaning can you mix them without issue? i want to only use honda atf.
Use OEM DW1 fluid only

As for how long do you run/drive it, when I had my cars I would just go a few miles, come back, and do the next one. Some people like to put many miles. There's no right or wrong way

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
shaggy read this thread, maybe it helps you with your maintenance....
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145746
if not, please let me know as I want to improve it.

As mc said, no right or wrong way to wait between D&F...you just want to run the car through all the gears so that the fluid circulates between your torque converter and the rest of the transmission. For me, that was 7 days or normal driving between drain numbers 1 and 2. But between drain numbers 2 and 3, I had to run on the highway for 15 miles, so when I returned I did D&F #3 same day.

Doing 1 drain and fill leaves you with 43% new fluid. 2 D&F leaves you with 68%, and 3 D&F gives you 82% new fluid. The 4th D&F gives you 90%, but that is a lot of money for a 8% increase. Just do 3 to get back on track.

When you say your dealer did a transmission fluid service, I bet you that is ONE D&F only....so do three!

Take your old fluid to any Advance Auto- they recycle for free! Be nice to Ma Earth.

Brake: that thing on cars that slow you down
Break: that action friends do when you lend them tools, or what Drago had to do to Rocky in Rocky IV.

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
okie doke.

before i bought it last week monday at 5:35 pm.
ha ha, update your signature to include the TIME you bought it, not just the day...

In India I saw some people actually consult the doctors as to when (day/time) they should purchase a house, car, or scooter. No joke.

·
03 V6 coupe auto
7 Posts
In certain vehicles it can be done the way you described and I used to think it was better but I am now a fan of drain and refills on all my vehicles. Do it 3 times then do a 1x drain and refill every 10k or so. Thats what my plan is. Also change that filter while you are at it. Just did mine last week and boy was it nasty. I'm Doing the pressure switches also. I bought this neglected car and I would like it to last.

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
ha ha, update your signature to include the TIME you bought it, not just the day...

In India I saw some people actually consult the doctors as to when (day/time) they should purchase a house, car, or scooter. No joke.
well hears the reason i gave the time. i HAD to sign a paper at the dealer stating the date, and time i took possession of her. SERIOUSLY! I HAD TO! so the time has stuck in my mind.

as per your request i'll add it to my signature, AND give you credit for asking/telling me to add it. :salue:

:biggrin:

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
lol, no don't give me credit! Just enjoy the ride.:lmao:

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
lol

too late! LOL

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
im hopping that she will get my ultimate complement by getting named Samantha. my 91wagon was Samantha, and i truly loved that car. bout shed a tear as i walked away from her for the last time. SERIOUSLY!

i was the biggest basher of jap cars you ever would see. that is till my acclame got totaled . the girls insurance only gave mt $1500 of Sam. i needed a car that could transport my rc airplanes. long story short? my 91 stole my heart, and now i get it. i now love Hondas!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts