Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sharing my experience regarding automatic transmission problems with my 2000 Accord V6 that i think may help some of you out there. For the past couple of years or so, I've had transmission issues like hard shifting, mainly when shifting into 2nd and 3rd. The P0780 would also show up once in a while. I figured that the transmission was on its way out, but was still able to drive while taking it easy on the pedal after coming to a full stop or when in lower gears. The 3 times drain/refill procedure to change the transmission fluid helped but the hard shifts still happened occasionally.

Well then P1362 showed up! That's the code for no signal from the TDC sensor and the acceleration suffered. After looking online for the location of the TDC sensor with no luck, a basic inspection of the area around the camshaft housing was in order to look for loose connectors or an obvious problem. This is the most likely area anyways for the location of this sensor.

A loose connector was found, which was later verified to be the connector for both TDC1 and TDC2. Removing the plastic cover on top of the front spark plug coils gives you better access to this connector. (See picture)

Securing this connector has brought the transmission back to life and cleared the P1362 for good. The transmission isn't completely error-free, as I still get very minor hard shifts once in a while, but nothing like before. The P0780 has come on once since this discovery. I suspect that the shift solenoids screens will need cleaning.

In summary, all this time, it was this loose TDC connector making intermittent contact, and thereby contriibuting to the transmission shift issues. What gave it away at the end was the "no signal" P1362 that came on after the connector was completely out. If you are having transmission issues, make sure that this connector is completely secure.

Attachments

·
Elvira - the car
3,583 Posts
Welcome to the forum accord-6.

Nice first post.

Thank you for the knowledge and willingness to share your experience.

Sometimes it IS the simple things that can go wrong.

·
Clermont, FL
206 Posts
there are a ton of these clutch plates that sit behind and in front of every gear in our V6 transmission. there job is to make each shift and downshift as smooth as possible, but over time when these clutch plates gets worn down, hard shifts/downshifts can occur from time to time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts