Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I stop at a red light and the car is slightly pointing downhill, once the light turns green and I press the gaz pedal the car start moving very slowly then it reacts like a hick-up and gives a quite big acceleration boost all of a sudden. I don't have to give a lot of gaz for this to happen.

It happen everyday when I'm moving outside my parking lot at work. I tried on D, S, more or less gaz the result is the same. It seems to require a very specific position when the car is idle because I very rarely feel this happening at other red lights.

Also, if I put the car on N when I'm stopped and I move it to D when the light turns green, it does not happen. Feels like weird transmission fluid pressuring.

Is that something the dealer can look at or since it happens only on specific conditions they won't be able to do a thing about it?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I have this problem in the winter right after I have just started the car and it hasn't warmed up yet. Does this happen to you all the time or just before the engine has warmed up?

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
I have this problem in the winter right after I have just started the car and it hasn't warmed up yet. Does this happen to you all the time or just before the engine has warmed up?
The engine is still in high RPM. As far as the downhill sensation I get this also but attribute it to the grade logic and high idle RPM. You know the thing that holds the brake on initially when on a steep grade. I think it holds the brake then gooses the gas a little and that's what you feel. Surge of acceleration upon initial acceleration that is. If I drive a while, stop, get fuel and engine now is somewhat warm, I don't get the hiccup. It also rears it's head when on a steep hill for me too but it needs to be a fairly steep hill.

I "fix" this by waiting till the high idle slows down from about 1200rpm to 1000rpm as witnessed by the tach blipping down a little right after initial start(usually 1 minute for me). My take is that the first cat is lighting off. Ever since I learned to do this that hiccup DOES NOT happen and shift is very easy from R to D. Mind you I don't wait until idle drops under 1000, that would be too long to idle. there are other threads discussing this ad finitum.

Try it and see if this "fixes" your situation.

oops quoted wrong post but it answers both I think.

Miker

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Have the dealer swap out your gaz pedal for a gas pedal.

Manufacturing defect. Issue will disappear. ;)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have the dealer swap out your gaz pedal for a gas pedal.

Manufacturing defect. Issue will disappear. ;)
I'll do that :thmsup:

It is indeed on cold start that it does that, I don't really like the idea of chilling in my car until it warms up but I guess it is better for the engine in general.

Thanks for the tips guys

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
I'll do that :thmsup:

It is indeed on cold start that it does that, I don't really like the idea of chilling in my car until it warms up but I guess it is better for the engine in general.

Thanks for the tips guys
you don't need to wait that long though. just wait til the tach drops a little, about 100-200rpm. it's almost impeceptible but you will be surprised how the car reacts with that little change in startup procedure.

Well at least it works for me, your mileage may vary.:thmsup:

Miker

·
Banned
784 Posts
When I stop at a red light and the car is slightly pointing downhill, once the light turns green and I press the gaz pedal the car start moving very slowly then it reacts like a hick-up and gives a quite big acceleration boost all of a sudden. I don't have to give a lot of gaz for this to happen.
It happen everyday when I'm moving outside my parking lot at work. I tried on D, S, more or less gaz the result is the same. It seems to require a very specific position when the car is idle because I very rarely feel this happening at other red lights.
Also, if I put the car on N when I'm stopped and I move it to D when the light turns green, it does not happen. Feels like weird transmission fluid pressuring.
Is that something the dealer can look at or since it happens only on specific conditions they won't be able to do a thing about it?
I think your throttle sensor is defective causing you this sudden jerk when accelerating. Please have the dealer check the integrity of your throttle sensor and replace it if defective. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts