Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ran into some problems lately, in my accord, which I'm thinking it might be a transmission problem but who knows. So, I drive an automatic 2010 4 cylinder accord sedan, that has about 122k Km on the odometer (About 75k Miles). I bought the car about 5 months ago, and back when I was driving it for the first like 2 months I didn't feel like the car had any kind of problems. Recently, I've felt like the car has been jerking a bit when going from 4th gear to 3rd gear. The thing is that it doesn't always happen. It seems it usually happens more frequently and more abruptly on a warm day compared to a cool day. The transmission fluid on this car was changed at around 87k Km (54k miles) and it looks in a pretty good shape, with a bright red/pink color and going up to the Maximum dot on the transmission dipstick. Furthermore, it seems the jerkiness when the car is downshifting from 4th to 3rd is much more noticeable when I'm just lifting off the throttle and letting the car slow down without touching the brakes. That doesn't mean that it doesn't jerk when I do apply the brakes, it's just less noticeable but at some point it can really get annoying to feel it every single time I slow down. Does anybody have any clue of what can be happening and any way to fix it? I know these Hondas are known to not have the best automatic transmissions but I'm pretty sure the problem I'm having right now isn't normal.
Thanks

·
8th Gen Believer
3,913 Posts
Honda had a bad time with transmissions in the late 90's and early 2000s. I'd look to the pressure switches and transmission & motor mounts. If they need changing, don't buy eBay or other cheap parts.

·
Banned
13,102 Posts
You know, the statement "I know Hondas don't have the best transmission" will haunt Honda as badly as "Get an Optima brand battery- they last 10 years!" will profit the Johnson Controls company.

Each statement was from back in the day. Optima went to heck in 2000 when Johnson Controls bought them and moved production out of Sweden, and Honda fixed the "V6 with automatic transmission" problem back in 2005. Yet, here we are in 2017 still talking about it like it was yesterday.

And by the way, the older Optima batteries were outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4fyuBYZIcE

Agree with @slimm1469 ..I would add to change the ATF using a drain and fill procedure again using Honda's DW-1, and every 20,000 km thereafter do another drain and fill with Honda DW-1.

Reactions: Daythread831

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Like Rick said, I'd do it again..and perhaps the best reason is to make damn sure it's Honda ATF.

I did the complete drain and refill two years ago.
Now, I'm doing I'm doing the standard drain and refill (about 3 qts.)every two years, or 24 to 30K miles.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
DW-1 fluid contains friction modifiers, some control heat others control shift quality. If 1 d/f was done @ 54K, then only 44% of new fluid was put in which got somewhat degraded by 66% old fluid, some of the fm's could of been depleted by now. Do 2-3 more d/f to see if that solves your problem, then go from there. It isn't a waste of money as you are prolonging the life of your trans.

·
Cruzing Through Life!
437 Posts
The OP seems to be another "one and done poster"!

The answer is provided but you never know if the message was received!

Most of us know he just needs to change his fluid another two or three times and his world will be a better place...

You know, the statement "I know Hondas don't have the best transmission" will haunt Honda as badly as "Get an Optima brand battery- they last 10 years!" will profit the Johnson Controls company.

Each statement was from back in the day. Optima went to heck in 2000 when Johnson Controls bought them and moved production out of Sweden, and Honda fixed the "V6 with automatic transmission" problem back in 2005. Yet, here we are in 2017 still talking about it like it was yesterday.

And by the way, the older Optima batteries were outstanding.

Agree with @slimm1469 ..I would add to change the ATF using a drain and fill procedure again using Honda's DW-1, and every 20,000 km thereafter do another drain and fill with Honda DW-1.
Rick, your sense of humor makes me laugh just about every time you post!
You are such a smart azz, but it is always well deserved!
Where do you come up with this crap... ;-)

·
Banned
13,102 Posts

Reactions: bgw70

·
8th Gen Believer
3,913 Posts
I know an automatic transmission jerk, he works at Joe's Tranny Shop in Fungus Junction, TX

1 - 8 of 8 Posts