Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of removing both axles. Looked around and I see people talk about this "notch", on the end of the nut, but I can't find anything on what to use to get it out of the way. Any tips, or photos? I'm about to dig into that and saw the notch - just not real sure what to do with it.

Also, is replacing the actual nut suggested? Vehicle has 140k on it, so I'm thinking it may be a good idea..?

Thanks,
Shumax

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
That "notch" is just a bend in the metal ring attached to the axle nut. There is no reason to bend it out, you can remove it without bending it up. You should always replace the axle nut and you should never reuse it. There are plenty of aftermarket axle nuts that are inexpensive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! So, get my impact driver out, the 24mm socket and hit it? No need to do anything with that notch that’s bent in?

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,198 Posts
Thanks! So, get my impact driver out, the 24mm socket and hit it? No need to do anything with that notch that’s bent in?
24mm? no. It's a 32mm, as far as I can remember.

The purpose of the notch is for preventing the axle nut from getting loose due to vibrations.
You can use a screw driver to bent out, but if you have an impact, just hit it and the notch will disappear once you take the nut out.

The reason manufactures recommending new nut is the 'notch' will stay at the same location. Once removed, the notch gets bent out. If you notch it again, the 'notch' won't have the same strength to hold the nut in place. Left->right, right->left, that likely will allow the notch at fresh places.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I used a BFD (big ****ing dewalt) and it came off like it wasn't tight at all. I didn't even notch it upon reinstall. That's for sissies.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The process is called "staking". You stake the nut into a groove on the CV shaft. This is a locking mechanism to prevent the axle nut from loosening. I would unstake the nut using a punch or chisel before trying to remove it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the large Milwaukee Fire impact. I think that could spin my entire engine out of the cradle. Crazy how powerful that thing is.

Sorry about the MM - 32 is what I meant. Had another fastener on my mind.

I sprayed PB Blaster on that nut a few hours ago. Also a bit on the backside of the joint where it goes into the knuckle. Not a lot - just enough to eat at any rust. I picked up a couple new axle nuts at College Hills - 2 miles from my house. I ran out of time to deal with it today. Probably dig into it more this weekend.

Appreciate the quick replies. It was a big day - removed the rear struts/springs; front struts; lower control arms; all four stab links and the rear sway bar bushings. The designer of those stab links should be shot dead. Twice. :)

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
If you're replacing the axles with new axles they come with a new nut. If not I just re-use the old nut.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can use a steel punch to unstake the nut. A screwdriver may not be able to take the necessary taps without shattering. Please be safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts