Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

I've been searching the forums to try to piece mail together an answer but I'm having trouble doing so, so please let me know if this is the wrong place or if I'm beating a dead horse.

Straight and Simple:
Is an oil change, tire rotation and multipoint inspection ($50 w/ coupon at dealer by work) the same as taking it in for a B1 service($100 at dealer by home?)

--------------------------------------------

Long convoluted life story question (if you'd care to enlighten me):

I'm at 36k miles. I purchased the car as a certified pre-owned in Oct '12 at 16k miles. B1 light just came on. This is my first time with this maintenance minder in this car. I can change my own oil, I just changed my engine air and cabin air filters a month ago, and I'm capable of rotating my own tires (this would be my first time.)

My concern is that the list includes this:

Replace engine oil and oil filter
Rotate Tires
Inspect front and rear brakes
Check parking brake adjustment
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
Inspect suspension components
Inspect driveshaft boots
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
Inspect exhaust system
Inspect fuel lines and connections

I could also get an oil change, tire rotation, MP Inspection for $50 dollars at the dealership by work, or the B1 at my local dealer for $100. So I'm thinking should I just do what I'm capable of and try to take a look at everything else when it gets warmer? My primary concern is taking care of the brakes. Or should I take it to the dealer for now to be safe since I haven't had any major work done on the car yet? And if so, is there a big difference between the two service options I'm weighing.

It's not so much about the money. I'd like to learn more about my car, but I don't want to mess it up or put myself in any danger. If I do the oil change and the tire rotation myself, are the other "inspections" that important to do immediately, or could I wait until the spring.

Thanks for your patience if you read this. This is my first car that I'd like to take care of on my own and I'm overly paranoid about most things.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I say save your money.

You're only at 36k miles. None of the inspection related items should be even close to needing service.

I wouldn't worry about the brakes either. When brake pads get low, you'll hear a high-pitched squeal coming from them, which is how most cars are designed to alert you.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
If you're willing and able to rotate your own tires you can pretty much do most of the items listed when you do the rotation. I have winter tires and do most of those checks when I do my seasonal swaps. You can inspect the brakes to check the condition of the rotors and pads. You should be able to eyeball and in some cases feel most of the items listed and check on their condition. With the relatively low mileage on your car most of the checks are really just a precaution at this point.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
See what the dealer by work's "multipoint" inspection includes. Might include many of the items on your list for B1. My service guy has given me the checklist a couple times from the just an oil change service and the list is pretty comprehensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback everybody!

I did my oil and my tires. Not too bad.I called to check what was on the multipoint list and the service department said I should've gotten my transmission fluid and brake fluid replaced at 30k, and that I really should come in for a service C. Does this sound legit? Or is this something I could attempt in the spring?

He said the reason the C light never came on is because I probably reset the whole system when turning off the light when I changed my oil. Seems like those lights should be triggered by mileage number instead of on a rolling change?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Exactly what year and engine is your car? I don't think any of the 7th or 8th gen cars have a maintenance minder code C. Maybe they meant their own "service C" or were referring to one of the sub code numbers (not letters). It's probably good to do the trans fluid as soon as you get a chance in the spring. It's really easy. It wouldn't hurt to do the brake fluid, but you could probably go another year on it.

Even though I'm skeptical or unaware of the "C" light, I don't believe it or perhaps the sub codes reset like your dealer explained. The dealer resets the oil life indicator the same way you do! If it works the way they said, the maintenance minder would only work as an oil life indicator. All of the longer codes and sub codes would never work! I have to admit that there is a thread about this reset issue somewhere and it's clear others believe your dealer is correct. But as I see it, if your dealer is right then the maintenance minder just doesn't work!

BTW, did you do any of the service B checks while you did your tire rotation? I find they only add about 15 minutes at most to my seasonal tire swaps. Your subject line indicated you wanted a learning experience. Most of the checks indicated (boots, brake hoses, rotors, pads, exhaust, etc.) aren't rocket science. While your car is relatively new you would have an additional opportunity to see what things look like while they're probably still in pretty good shape. Good luck with your remaining maintenance.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
There is no "C" maintenance code. Your service shop, for lack of a better word, is full of s**t. Wait for the "3" sub-item to do the transmission fluid and look in the owner's manual to determine the brake fluid replacement interval.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the tips everyone. It's really discouraging that service shops do this. The other thing I had noticed is that on their A, B, C and D service list, the difference between C and D was replace transmission fluid, replace brake fluid. The list looked like it was twice as long, but then I realized they just sized the font 2 sizes up.

I'll let you guys know when I attempt the fluid replacements in the spring. Thanks so much for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts