Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

I completed my A1 service and it was $66 out the door. Now a year later, I am getting a notification for my B1 service and my dealership is quoting $150 for it. I said it appears to be same as A1 for the most part.

Dealer explained that the "the parking brake adjustment and suspension inspection are most of the cost difference". Do I really need a parking brake adjustment? I have never once used my parking brake yet.

Should I just do an A1 service again? Its a 2019 accord 2.0t sport. I bought it March of 2019 and its got maybe 12,000 miles on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
For a 2019 Accord, here's the difference between an A1 and B1 Service:
Link to Maintenance Minder Codes for your Accord:
Letter Codes
Number Codes

A1:
-Oil change (no filter change)
-Tire rotation

B1:
-Oil and filter change
-Front and rear brake inspection
-Inspect tie rods ends, steering gearbox, and gearbox boots
-Check steering linkage and boots
-Inspect and tighten suspension components if necessary
-Inspect all fluids
-Inspect exhaust system
-Inspect fuel lines and connections

$150 seems to be a reasonable price for a B1 inspection. All dealers in my area charge between $200 and $225 for a B1 on an Accord.

Do the B1 service. You said that it's been a year since you've done the A1 service. Essentially, you are going to end up spending $150 for a year's worth of maintenance on a car that you spent roughly $30,000 on. You bought a nice car- maintain it according to the maintenance minder's recommendations.

With 12,000 miles on the odometer- odds are that everything will check out okay- but you never know. Inspecting these components will ensure that your car is operating properly. Spend the extra $90 and have your car maintained per the maintenance minder. Just don't be surprised if your dealer recommends an alignment while they are servicing it. Refuse it unless there are signs that your car's alignment is out of spec- like uneven tire wear, drifting to one side, or some other obvious sign.

You spent 30 grand on a car. Don't cheap out on the maintenance.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Put your parking brake on...shift into drive and release the foot brake...does the car hold? It's probably fine then.
Without knowing what your skill level is, I'd say this:
If you don't need someone looking at your brakes,suspension , etc and you can do that yourself, then just get the oil and filter changed and call it a day.

Some people never lift their hood up the whole time they own the car, they just gas & go...so that's why Honda(and every other make) has these schedules...they assume, and maybe rightfully so, that some drivers are mouth-breathing morons.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does your state have safety inspections? Here the mandatory yearly safety inspections include inspecting all suspension components and the parking brake, and the inspection costs $12.50. And they're usually rigorous inspections because that's how shops make their money: finding stuff to fix. I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't get the service, just that it seems weird to me to pay the dealership money for something they basically do for free.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Does your state have safety inspections? Here the mandatory yearly safety inspections include inspecting all suspension components and the parking brake, and the inspection costs $12.50. And they're usually rigorous inspections because that's how shops make their money: finding stuff to fix. I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't get the service, just that it seems weird to me to pay the dealership money for something they basically do for free.
There are exceptions...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For a 2019 Accord, here's the difference between an A1 and B1 Service:
Link to Maintenance Minder Codes for your Accord:
Letter Codes
Number Codes

A1:
-Oil change (no filter change)
-Tire rotation

B1:
-Oil and filter change
-Front and rear brake inspection
-Inspect tie rods ends, steering gearbox, and gearbox boots
-Check steering linkage and boots
-Inspect and tighten suspension components if necessary
-Inspect all fluids
-Inspect exhaust system
-Inspect fuel lines and connections

$150 seems to be a reasonable price for a B1 inspection. All dealers in my area charge between $200 and $225 for a B1 on an Accord.

Do the B1 service. You said that it's been a year since you've done the A1 service. Essentially, you are going to end up spending $150 for a year's worth of maintenance on a car that you spent roughly $30,000 on. You bought a nice car- maintain it according to the maintenance minder's recommendations.

With 12,000 miles on the odometer- odds are that everything will check out okay- but you never know. Inspecting these components will ensure that your car is operating properly. Spend the extra $90 and have your car maintained per the maintenance minder. Just don't be surprised if your dealer recommends an alignment while they are servicing it. Refuse it unless there are signs that your car's alignment is out of spec- like uneven tire wear, drifting to one side, or some other obvious sign.

You spent 30 grand on a car. Don't cheap out on the maintenance.
Good advice. Ok thanks.

Yup, I am in Virginia. We have mandatory safety inspections.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,093 Posts
I go to a dealer only for warranty repair. It's a Honda Accord with 12,000 miles. Unless you notice something isn't right, look in your area for an oil change shop and an indie mechanic. Compare prices. Yelp.com is a good review site. Tune up your bull___t meter and shop around.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I go to a dealer only for warranty repair. It's a Honda Accord with 12,000 miles. Unless you notice something isn't right, look in your area for an oil change shop and an indie mechanic. Compare prices. Yelp.com is a good review site. Tune up your bull___t meter and shop around.
He doesn't have to go to the dealer to have the B1 service done- any trusted mechanic can do it. You can do it yourself too if you have the know-how. I agree that dealership service departments should probably be reserved for warranty issues.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My local dealer charges the same for an A or a B service. About $45 plus tax. Tire rotation is $20 extra. They often have coupons.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
There are exceptions...
Window tint will get you a FAIL at safety inspection, and a ticket for "No Safety Glass" violation on the road; but brakes are optional.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Window tint will get you a FAIL at safety inspection, and a ticket for "No Safety Glass" violation on the road; but brakes are optional.
Somewhere in the Free World a politician got really mad at a window tint shop...and the small business paid the price as they always do...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just paid $96 for a B1 service on my 19 sport 2.0t.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Somewhere in the Free World a politician got really mad at a window tint shop...and the small business paid the price as they always do...
Our overlords were upset because their machine learning algorithm for facial recognition did not have enough data points to figure out how to correct for tint, so they had the middle management do away with it.

Reactions: NoEgo

·
Registered
213 Posts
Our overlords were upset because their machine learning algorithm for facial recognition did not have enough data points to figure out how to correct for tint, so they had the middle management do away with it.
That's it! Exactly. :) Well done, emeron.

·
Registered
23 Posts
First oil (a1) change was on complimentary by the dealer, the second oil change (b1) was 35 usd with a coupon. On both they checked all fluid levels, checked the tires, etc.I will do tire rotation myself when I will see uneven wear, it is all still great. I did change my cabin filter with high quality carbon filters twice which are about 13 a piece of amazon. Both 66 and 150 seems excessive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First oil (a1) change was on complimentary by the dealer, the second oil change (b1) was 35 usd with a coupon. On both they checked all fluid levels, checked the tires, etc.I will do tire rotation myself when I will see uneven wear, it is all still great. I did change my cabin filter with high quality carbon filters twice which are about 13 a piece of amazon. Both 66 and 150 seems excessive.
wow that is real cheap. my dealer charges $35 for oil change and $25 for tire rotation. that was my A1. the B1 is a lot more. I also live in a high cost living area....

·
Registered
248 Posts
wow that is real cheap. my dealer charges $35 for oil change and $25 for tire rotation. that was my A1. the B1 is a lot more. I also live in a high cost living area....
I'm guessing that dealers that only charge $50 for a B1 service aren't doing all of the things mentioned in the maintenance minder. At bare minimum, the B1 service should cost $5-10 more just because they are supposed to change the oil filter during the B1 service but not during the A1 service.

Again- some may think that all of the inspections are not really necessary- but in all honesty- if you follow the maintenance minder, the car is likely going in for service only once or twice per year unless you drive a lot of miles.

If maintenance is only being done once or twice a year, it's a good idea to have those inspections done just to be sure everything is working as intended. I don't understand why people are willing to spend $30,000 on a car but then argue that spending $150 on regular maintenance is a 'scam' or a 'ripoff'.

Reactions: mtts60
1 - 20 of 30 Posts