Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, hope everything is going well.

So as the title says, I am back in an 8th Gen.

Long story short, I got a very attractive engineering co-op opportunity that would be very helpful to my career, and on top of that, the pay is excellent. There is one catch: it required me to relocate to somewhere far away from Victoria. I decided that I should leave the RX-8 behind, as the salty and rough winter roads will not be good for the car at all. And while the company has shuttles for commuting, the public transit system is not very good, and I need a car to do grocery shopping, go to the gym, and as a backup way to get to work should I miss the shuttle.

Gonna be honest, I bought this car a bit out of emotional attachment, seeing how an 8th Gen Accord was my first car. It has some small issues, like some minor rust, minor bumper damage, rear brakes and e-brake need some work, and of course, that lovely VTC clacking at cold startups. The car was also sold under the typical price and comes with two sets of tires and wheels, though, so I couldn't complain too much.

So far, I had cleaned up the car a bit, upgraded the headlight halogen bulbs, had a shop fix the rear brakes, and got an oil change(just out of security).

And yeah, it's a 5-speed. Not something common in these 8th Gen.

If I have any problems with it, I would really appreciate it if you guys can offer some help.

And that's about it. Really wish to get back into this lovely community, even just for a little while.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got an '12, just like yours but automatic. I've got 184,424 on mine and it still feels very solid. The damages it has are all mine made. Just ensure the airbags have been replaced. If yours it's the I4 2.4L there's no timing belt, actually uses a chain which is awesome. Two things of note, I live in NE, in the very cold winter, the power steering pump's o-rings for both hi & low pressure hoses get cold and hard. Starting it from a cold start in cold weather usually makes the PS pump give the loud whine. Just replace the O-Rings, bought from Honda and you'll spend under $4 for both, and problem will be solved. Good luck, looks real nice.

·
VCM DELETE
620 Posts
Given your 1st 8th gen was a V6, tell me about the acceleration difference between the 2. Like you, I also had a 08 i4 (and now a '12 V6) and i feel like it was a different car.
Yea, those 5 speeds are rare on the 8th gen, you dont see many of them. Being a 2008, im sure you got a good deal on it.

Youll get madlove on this site for buying a Manual. LOL.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'm glad I got the coupe. Of course it's impractical but it looks so much better (the very reason why we got a coupe). No offense to the sedan owners for sure as the looks kinda grew on me (but just a tiny bit). Was just reading how none of the lights, glass, bumper were the same between the coupe and sedan.

I guess OP wants resale value to hold and bought a sedan this time around.

Enjoy your temporary ride and good luck on your co-op.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I've got an '12, just like yours but automatic. I've got 184,424 on mine and it still feels very solid. The damages it has are all mine made. Just ensure the airbags have been replaced. If yours it's the I4 2.4L there's no timing belt, actually uses a chain which is awesome. Two things of note, I live in NE, in the very cold winter, the power steering pump's o-rings for both hi & low pressure hoses get cold and hard. Starting it from a cold start in cold weather usually makes the PS pump give the loud whine. Just replace the O-Rings, bought from Honda and you'll spend under $4 for both, and problem will be solved. Good luck, looks real nice.
How easy is it to replace the two o-rings?

Last December before my extended warranty expired, I complained about the whine but the dealership said all was fine with the p/s pump.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a solid commuter.
It needs a little bit of work, but yeah, otherwise it's not too bad for what it is.

For the airbags, I will have to get them replaced tomorrow. That means driving all the way to Edmonton (4+ hours away) for a Honda dealer, but I also plan to do some shopping in Edmonton to justify the trip.

And yes, 4 banger means no timing belt, although it does mean VTC actuator clacking at cold starts. Again, it's more of an annoyance from what I have looked up. My old V6 had some lovely starter noise at cold startups as well.

My PS pump is working fine as far as I can tell. I will keep an eye out for it should the fluid level drops, though.

Given your 1st 8th gen was a V6, tell me about the acceleration difference between the 2. Like you, I also had a 08 i4 (and now a '12 V6) and i feel like it was a different car.
Yea, those 5 speeds are rare on the 8th gen, you dont see many of them. Being a 2008, im sure you got a good deal on it.

Youll get madlove on this site for buying a Manual. LOL.
The V6 was a while ago, but yeah, it definitely is quicker than the I4. That said, the V6 is a bit too powerful, as it breaks the tires loose and make the VSA kick in constantly when you mash the gas pedal in 1st gear. The I4 never had any traction issues like that, which I actually appreciate.

I just like driving a stick shift, and I always want to try them out on different cars. This one is no RX-8, but it still keeps me engaged when driving regardless.

I'm glad I got the coupe. Of course it's impractical but it looks so much better (the very reason why we got a coupe). No offense to the sedan owners for sure as the looks kinda grew on me (but just a tiny bit). Was just reading how none of the lights, glass, bumper were the same between the coupe and sedan.

I guess OP wants resale value to hold and bought a sedan this time around.

Enjoy your temporary ride and good luck on your co-op.
Coupes definitely looks better, but I agree that the Sedan's look has grown on me a bit.

As for why I bought a Sedan... It's just that the back seats are easier to access and putting big boxes in the rear seats is very much easier in a Sedan. I did it once before in my Coupe. Not fun.

And thanks for the kind regards.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,777 Posts
Hey dude, nice to have to back on DA! 5-speed, front wheel drive, good cold weather car.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Welcome back to the 8th gen! It’s good to have you back, however briefly that you keep this Accord.

Looks like a solid commuter car, and I’ve always like that gray interior color. Is the second set of wheels/tires a winter combo?

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So a bit of a shocker for me: the brakes were in pretty poor condition. The front rotors were in the wrong size, which in turn destroyed the pads. One of the rear calipers also didn't retract all the way when releasing the brake. The brake fluid is also contaminated, so I flushed it out as well.

Wheels were also balanced, as the car had a nasty vibration at highway speeds.

Lastly, I cleaned off all the dead bugs and tar on the front of the car. It actually makes quite a difference. Cleans it up quite nicely.

Also, the dealer told me the parts didn't get to them on time, so I ended up doing some shopping in Edmonton.

To-do list:
  • Go to Edmonton again next week for the airbag recall.
  • Replace the cracked gauge cluster cover(only $10ish and I still have my screwdriver)
  • Replace the hood prop rod clip(another cheap part, so why not)
  • Fix the cracked part on the front bumper with some JB weld
  • Clutch fluid, since I have some brake fluid left.
  • Maybe do something about the rust, liking sand it down and paint over it. Will have to look up how to do it properly, though.
  • Maybe pull the dent out, if the hot water + plunger method holds any water(hehe).
Welcome back to the 8th gen! It’s good to have you back, however briefly that you keep this Accord.

Looks like a solid commuter car, and I’ve always like that gray interior color. Is the second set of wheels/tires a winter combo?
Yep, the winter tires are mounted on the OEM wheels. The current rims are aftermarket.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It has about 145k km, or just under 91k 'murican units.

I just looked up 2010-2012 coupes on autotrader for the whole of Canada and there were just 67 listings.

I hope mine lasts for at least another decade. :)
Now try adding a filter for MT and see how many results you get.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It will likely be 1/5 to a 1/4 of the listing haha.

For a family man, I cannot even fathom buying another MT vehicle because my wife and daughter will rarely use it and I'm the one usually at home.

Maybe that's one reason I am still driving my 02 Civic 5MT. Next ride will at least be another hybrid but hopefully BEV. :)

Although I know it's enjoyable rowing our own gears (especially on a gutless car like my Civic), I think as long as the AWD BEV handles well and peppy, I don't mind losing the ability to shift gears.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

So I had to do the following over the last little while:

- Cleaned up the engine bay a little more, mainly the area under the engine cover that's covered in grime.

- Put on winter tires. Had to buy 3 new ones as one out of 4 tires is close to brand new and the other 3 are close to being worn out.

- Cleaned up the throttle body. Had a bit of "oh crap" moment when the idle and throttle response are all weird. Did a throttle body reset and bingo, all stable now. I genuinely also noticed my car is a little bit more powerful when I gunned it last night. It's by no means a rocket, but a definite improvement for sure.

- Changed out the air filter. Previous owner left a new one in the trunk and it took me 5 minutes.

- Positive battery terminal broke on me when I tried to clean it. Had to have a shop fix it for me. Car does seem to start faster now though. Old one was pretty corroded.

Unfortunately, the dent is too much for me to pull myself. Will see if it's cheap to get rid of.

I will see if I can get the clutch fluid flushed and research how to remove the surface rust.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts