Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
How's the co-op/internship coming along? Hope you are having a blast learning or teaching at the company. :)
Job is going well as I am picking up everything and learning. My mentor is very helpful, too. This is not to mention the fact that I am being paid well for a co-op.

I am definitely getting busy, though. Going under a department change so work load will be heavier. I am confident that I can handle it, though.

Car work usually happens on weekends as a result, just as a hobby(as usual).

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow, almost two months now.

Temperature has significantly dropped since last time I posted in this thread. Nowadays, -30C or -20F isn't something to be surprised about.

Car is running pretty well, although gas mileage has dropped a bit due to how cold it is. I am now getting 21-ish MPG with some highway driving. This probably has to do with how long it takes for the car to warm up, and how much more I have to idle just for warm air. Still, I only need to fill up half of a tank once every two weeks or so, and that's not bad.

I can feel the car starting a bit slower when parked outside for a little, but I feel like that's just the norm with this type of temperature. I have a battery tender that I plug in sometimes when I am parked in the underground lot in my apartment. Clutch also seems to be a bit more stiff.

Just found out one of my brake light bulbs died, which I will replace later today.

Still debating about the MT fluid change.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Does it have a block heater? (Probably, if it was initially sold in the Great White North)
Yes, it does, along with a battery heater.

I plug it in if I drive to work, although it's not always heated - it's on a 30-minute on-off cycle. Either way, every little bit helps.

My old V6 didn't have one, though, since it was a West Coast Canada car so it doesn't need one.

·
2011 LX-S Coupe Automatic
153 Posts
I have never heard of a battery heater... Please, tell me a lot more on the battery heater. You learn something every day!!!
Thank you very much,
Merry Christmas,
Dimitri

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just thought of a question:

My climate control fan chirps when it's very cold outside. Has anyone else living in a cold climate encountered this?

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Yep, something like that you wrap around the battery.

I have seen a lot of people who likes the GM Synchromesh fluid in these Honda MTs. I think I have seen the Amsoil MTF in the shop nearby so I might check them out as well.

The GM (AC DELCO now) fluid is dino, the Amsoil is a syn. which will be better in those colder temps.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ok, so the 3rd gear thing is really starting to get me.

Finally decided to bite the bullet and bought the Amsoil synthetic MTF. And man those are expensive, about CAN$50 at the local NAPA for 2 quarts and that's with the discount I get with my company.

I found this video which is very helpful as it's the exact same car mechanically(8th Gen 2.4 5MT).

I will be borrowing some tools from my coworker and give it a crack this weekend. I have done MTF changes on my RX-8 before so this shouldn't be too bad, especially with the helpful video tutorial.

One thing I am curious about, though: Honda doesn't actually give the gear oil viscosity of the MTF, hence why I didn't go for some of the cheaper stuff. Are Honda's just super picky on fluids? I went with Amsoil for peace of mind but yeah, they are expensive.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
With Amsoil it seems the price is always going up, being a privately held co. Here in the US they had a big price increase once, stating it was because gasoline prices had gone up so much (close to $5 a gal. in some places). When the price of gas dropped in half, Amsoil products remained the same. I still use their ATF in my 04 as it is a "real" syn. but no longer buy their engine oil as I think the store bought dino oils have gotten much better over the yrs. & the price / value ratio is no longer valid. @UnknownJinX looks like you only payed $2.50 more per qt. than what is listed on their website, note that it says there it is backward compatible with Honda brand.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Now that I think of it, this is actually not that bad for synthetic MTF. I bought Motorcraft XT-M5-QS and Motul Gear 300 for my RX-8 before and they both cost about the same as the Amsoil synthetic MTF.

In my experience MTF is pretty expensive compared to ATF for the same volume, but on the flip side, you do need way more ATF fluid for a complete change so in the end a complete MTF change is cheaper. Even at $10 a quart for Honda ATF in Canada(which is supposedly synthetic unlike the US ones), that's CAN$90 for a 3*3 drain and fill, and more time-consuming.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Now that I think of it, this is actually not that bad for synthetic MTF. I bought Motorcraft XT-M5-QS and Motul Gear 300 for my RX-8 before and they both cost about the same as the Amsoil synthetic MTF.

In my experience MTF is pretty expensive compared to ATF for the same volume, but on the flip side, you do need way more ATF fluid for a complete change so in the end a complete MTF change is cheaper. Even at $10 a quart for Honda ATF in Canada(which is supposedly synthetic unlike the US ones), that's CAN$90 for a 3*3 drain and fill, and more time-consuming.

Honda ATF is a full "DINO" synthetic in Canada, semi "DINO" in the US. Amsoil is a true (lab) synthetic, as is the above Motul.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I managed to do it today. Barely.

Everything else was okay, but two main culprits are the snow and sand that stuck to my car and started melting in the underground parking, and the clips on the undertray because the plastic have disintegrated after being on the car for 12 years. There are supposed to be 16 of them, but a good few are missing, and I broke a few when removing them. Towards the end, I had to be strategic on where I place the remaining ones I can reuse(around 7 or 8 of them). For now the tray is staying, and I will be ordering more to clip it in better.

The old manual trans fluid smells pretty bad and is pretty dark, but not burnt black. I got lazy and didn't remove the check bolt. I just poured in the two bottles since that's how much I have drained out exactly as I measured the amount I drained with an empty oil bottle.

Gave it a test drive afterwards and the shifts have felt a bit nicer, especially the 3rd gear that was giving me a bit of a grief. As I drive more I will see if the 3rd gear stays this way.

·
Past Doritos Spinner
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You will probably feel the biggest differences when the outside temps. get really low.
This week has been pretty tame, and it looks like the next few days will be, too. It's usually between -10C to 0C(So 14F to 32F). I certainly hope the weather doesn't get to -30C(-20F) again...

The 3rd gear had been giving me a hard time since late summer when I bought the car. With the new fluid, however, the grinding and fighting to get into 3rd gear seem to be things of the past. I can get into all gears fairly easily and I have been driving the car a little more recently since the weather is nice. So thanks for the recommendation!

Oh and I got the clips today from Amazon, and the undertray is now secured as well as it can to the car.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts