Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Accord Touring. Back deck of window rattles during heavy Bass songs. Have not been able to pinpoint it yet.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,782 Posts
It's the metal supports the hold the shelf in place. You can wrap them with anything that will isolate them from the shelf. I used two old socks. Crawl into the trunk, they're not hard to find. This is common on ALL Accords.

·
DWYCK
4 Posts
It's the metal supports the hold the shelf in place. You can wrap them with anything that will isolate them from the shelf. I used two old socks. Crawl into the trunk, they're not hard to find. This is common on ALL Accords.
Just got a 10th gen Accord EX-L & i'm getting the same issue, but in the daytime - no rattle at ANY volume. Come night time, it rattles like crazy. I've read about past Accords having this issue but when I brought it into the dealership, I couldn't re-create the rattle because it doesn't happen during the day!

I've also seen tutorials of people stuffing soft mats & fabric into the trunk, but when i looked into that, I see there's already white stuffing of some kind in the holes - looks professionally done like they tried to fix the issue w/ this gen. Any idea what I should do? Try to stuff more felt material where I see the already existing white stuffing???? I'm at a loss here & love playing music. I just can't deal w/ the rattling.

·
DWYCK
4 Posts
Just got a 10th gen Accord EX-L & i'm getting the same issue, but in the daytime - no rattle at ANY volume. Come night time, it rattles like crazy. I've read about past Accords having this issue but when I brought it into the dealership, I couldn't re-create the rattle because it doesn't happen during the day!

I've also seen tutorials of people stuffing soft mats & fabric into the trunk, but when i looked into that, I see there's already white stuffing of some kind in the holes - looks professionally done like they tried to fix the issue w/ this gen. Any idea what I should do? Try to stuff more felt material where I see the already existing white stuffing???? I'm at a loss here & love playing music. I just can't deal w/ the rattling.
Fixed my issue today using somewhat of @zroger73 method, except I didnt have to take the trunk light out. I simply bought some pipe insulation foam (1 inch), cut some 2x2 pieces out and stuffed them in the openings BETWEEN the existing tabs holding the rear deck & the metal framing of trunk together. You’ll see thin white pieces of honda’s own insulation (which feels thin & cheap :| ) in the spots where to stuff your material. Instantly fixed the issue.

I took a test drive & played songs that I knew caused the issue prior to the fix, cranked up the volume & no rattles at all. Such a huge oversight on honda’s part. Still wondering why it only happened at sunset / night for me (???) I can rest easy.... for now

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fixed my issue today using somewhat of @zroger73 method, except I didnt have to take the trunk light out. I simply bought some pipe insulation foam (1 inch), cut some 2x2 pieces out and stuffed them in the openings BETWEEN the existing tabs holding the rear deck & the metal framing of trunk together. You’ll see thin white pieces of honda’s own insulation (which feels thin & cheap :| ) in the spots where to stuff your material. Instantly fixed the issue.

I took a test drive & played songs that I knew caused the issue prior to the fix, cranked up the volume & no rattles at all. Such a huge oversight on honda’s part. Still wondering why it only happened at sunset / night for me (???) I can rest easy.... for now
I noticed the same rattling this morning when driving to work. I think the night/day time thing is temperature related? Since the rattling eventually went away about after ~20 minutes of driving, after the vehicle was sufficiently warmed up.

I find it odd I will have to do some sort of manual fix like this. Can anyone post pictures, since I'm not exactly sure what you guys are talking about?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Would like to follow up on this and mention that I climbed into my trunk today and figured out exactly what you guys were talking about. I ended up just taking an old cloth T-shirt and cutting it up into thin pieces to wedge in between the metal and plastic.

I would also like to mention that my rattling seemed pretty bad on the right side of the vehicle (directly behind the driver's seat). Turns out my ears were not lying, since the "Honda insulation pad" was only applied on the left side of the car. I could not find it on the right.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

·
The Newb
8 Posts
Can you post pictures of your fix? I tried stuffing the back with foam, tightened seal of trunk, and padded license plate frame. I’m still getting rattling pretty badly.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,558 Posts
2018 Accord Touring. Back deck of window rattles during heavy Bass songs. Have not been able to pinpoint it yet.
I had this issue in both my 8th and 9th gen Accords. Was hoping Honda could have figured this out by now - guess they don't care.

·
DWYCK
4 Posts
Had this on my 2018 EXL. I padded the areas in the trunk but it was only a temp fix. The deck would eventually adapt to whatever I placed there. I finally took it to the dealership & after 3 attempts I finally was able to re create the issue for them.

It took 8+ hours to fix since they kept having to insulate, put the deck back together & do a quality check. They had to insulate the inside more & place more padding on the clips attaching the deck to the metal frame. The issue is finally fixed after a few weeks of stress testing it with bass ridden songs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same issue for me. Even happens going over bumps sometimes at higher speeds. This is the second BAD rattle I've had on my car and just over 3K miles... Makes me wish I had bought something else quite frankly...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Two rattles for me. Somewhere behind the center console when accelerating. Not consistent enough to take it in. Also a rattle somewhere behind me when driving on some roads that aren't totally smooth. Annoying sounds, but not something I can duplicate at will and service departments usually have the mentality of we won't fix it if we can't duplicate it. I am also leery on having them open the dash to fix the one behind the center console and maybe not put it back together tight enough where it rattles more.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,782 Posts
Do a search on the Tools menu. Members have found the dash rattle fix and a few others. It's unfortunate b/c dealers know about these rattles. So YOU have to determine the fix and tell them what to do. I know, sad right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also had a rattle coming from my rear speaker deck (EXL 1.5), would hear it going over bumps and during bass heavy songs.
Took it into the dealer yesterday and they fixed it, they told me there was a service bulletin about this problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Plus one for the rear deck rattle over bumps and bass. This is ruining the car for me more than it should. I haven't had to deal with this since my 1993 G20 with over 100K which was a rattle-box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the identical rear deck rattle going on. I bought the car new has 2000 miles on it. Took it in for service yesterday and they fixed the issue seems to be an easy fix.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also had a rattle coming from my rear speaker deck (EXL 1.5), would hear it going over bumps and during bass heavy songs.
Took it into the dealer yesterday and they fixed it, they told me there was a service bulletin about this problem.
My dealership said they could not find any bulletin on the back deck rattles could you take a picture of your paperwork so we can see what they did?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dealership said they could not find any bulletin on the back deck rattles could you take a picture of your paperwork so we can see what they did?
Here is a pic of the paperwork

Attachments

1 - 20 of 70 Posts