Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
'18 Accord Hybrid Touring
28 Posts
This morning I removed the back deck again (takes me about 10-15 minutes now) and applied some more 1mm foam to the rear edge. I also added a little to the underside of the same edge.
That looks about the same area where the dealer wedged in a small piece of foam to stop my rattles between the glass and shelf. I think they did both sides, although the driver side was more of an issue for me. Glad you found it!

·
Reverse
144 Posts
The back deck is very silent now! So much so, that I can now pick out a slight rattle in bass heavy songs from the passenger front door... :wink

I will be taking the back end apart again one of these days and when I do, I will be removing some of what I've done because it now shows through the glass. I could have used foam about 1/4 inch wide instead near the third brake light.
It's all part of figuring out what works. :smile

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fixed my issue today using somewhat of @zroger73 method, except I didnt have to take the trunk light out. I simply bought some pipe insulation foam (1 inch), cut some 2x2 pieces out and stuffed them in the openings BETWEEN the existing tabs holding the rear deck & the metal framing of trunk together. You’ll see thin white pieces of honda’s own insulation (which feels thin & cheap :| ) in the spots where to stuff your material. Instantly fixed the issue.

I took a test drive & played songs that I knew caused the issue prior to the fix, cranked up the volume & no rattles at all. Such a huge oversight on honda’s part. Still wondering why it only happened at sunset / night for me (???) I can rest easy.... for now
Can you take picture for the place that you stuffed by pipe foam, please?? .. because I open the trunk and I see a lot of holes under the rare back deck ( around the base of rear speakers), I don't know where are the right holes to I stuffing it by pipe foam?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've had the same annoying rattle in my Touring. Finally got around to downloading a tone generator app for my phone and sweep through the lower range until I found it. For me, it occurs between 47 and 49 Hz using my aftermarket sub, and between 46 and 52 Hz using the factor sub. If I press down on top of the center brake light cover, it goes away completely. For now, I wedged a roll of electrical tape between the rear glass and brake light cover as it looks like the rear deck has to be removed to apply padding from below in that area. I plan to stop by the dealer and demo it for him using the OEM sub (I'll leave my aftermarket sub at home so he can't use that as an excuse.)

My aftermarket sub, btw, is this one:

HO112-W6v3 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Systems - H.O. Wedge? - JL Audio

·
2018 Accord EX-L 2.0T
267 Posts
I've had the same annoying rattle in my Touring. Finally got around to downloading a tone generator app for my phone and sweep through the lower range until I found it. For me, it occurs between 47 and 49 Hz using my aftermarket sub, and between 46 and 52 Hz using the factor sub. If I press down on top of the center brake light cover, it goes away completely. For now, I wedged a roll of electrical tape between the rear glass and brake light cover as it looks like the rear deck has to be removed to apply padding from below in that area. I plan to stop by the dealer and demo it for him using the OEM sub (I'll leave my aftermarket sub at home so he can't use that as an excuse.)

My aftermarket sub, btw, is this one:

HO112-W6v3 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Systems - H.O. Wedge? - JL Audio
The tone generator is a great idea for illustrating the problem to the dealer. I am not sure how the little bit of foam they add is going to hold up to that beast of a subwoofer. :devil

I got my shop to pull the factory sub and sound deaden the shelf, cover, and trunk lid with Soundskins Pro. It is real tight back there so they had to use window tinting tools to hide below the window line and clean up the residue. This made a significant difference in being able to play heavy bass songs at any sort of volume.

I am using the 10" W3:
http://www.jlaudio.com/ho110rg-w3v3-car-audio-h-o-wedge-subwoofer-systems-93135

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rattle/vibration solution (for now at least).

2018 Hybrid Touring here.

Experienced rattle/vibration during rough road as well as bass heavy music. I narrowed the rattle down to the child latch door. Solution: roll up a crew sock and stuff it in the cavity, then close the door. Test to make sure that the crew sock is providing positive tension on the door. No more rattle (at least for me, YMMV).

If I had more time, I would probably use foam tape, etc. to make the child latch actually usable, but I don't need them. Pro tip: use clean socks.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an EX-L and have had this rattle off and on for months. When I had gotten my last oil change at Honda, I mentioned it to the Service Manager and he said they could replace it but it would take a whole day, they'd have to order it, etc. etc. It has since gotten worse and I hear it whether the stereo is on or not. It only seems to rattle on one side so I found a small, square piece of foam yesterday (leftover from a Pelican storage case) and shoved it down into the corner by the window. The foam is black and I have a black interior with tinted windows, so it's not really noticeable from outside the car. Seems to have solved my problem though. Maybe someday I'll get it all replaced but this'll work for now.

·
2nd Accord
111 Posts
I turned up the sound on my HAH and pushed on the deck behind the drivers side rear speaker. I got the vibration to stop where the window meets the deck. I stuffed a piece of foam where the window and deck intersect with each other. Vibration and bass issue completely gone. Took 5 seconds to fix.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is what i used to stuff between the rear deck and window to help fix the rattle. I just used a wooden ruler to shove it down below the line on the rear window so it could not be seen from the outside. I am just not very keen on the dealership tearing my car apart to fix it when I was able to fix it on my 08. They scratched the crap out of my trunk lid to replace a taillight that was accumulating water on the inside. Needless to say I will be taking my car to a different dealership for service in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
2018+ Accord vibration rattle rear speaker deck

I’m so tired of the vibration sound coming from the rear speaker deck (worse in the cold). Anyone get a dealer fix and any thoughts on how king until Honda recognizes the problem persists in this generation as well? Hoping for a TSB soon. I have a rattle that occurs on heavy bass (I crank mine up but keep the volume around 12-14). However the vibration even occurs when I go over bumps on the highway. It seems worse when it’s very cold outside. Perhaps because it contracts and then expands and heats up when the temps are warmer. I wonder how long until Honda releases a TSB for the 2018+ edition because the heavy vibration can be very annoying at times. Here’s the one from previous gen: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=405289&d=1493394556

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2018 Accord EX-L. However, it always occurs when it's warmer out, 40+, and the sun is hitting the rear deck. It occurs with bass-heavy songs and going over bumps.

I'm planning on taking it to Honda for this issue when the weather warms up a bit, and for my first oil change.

·
willis in dallas
63 Posts
I cannot read the label on the product. Please type the info from the label on the reply. Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
I cannot read the label on the product. Please type the info from the label on the reply. Thanks
M-D 3/8-in x 20-ft Gray Backer Rod Polyethylene Window Weatherstrip Item # 41298. I purchased it from Lowes. This has worked very well. Still no rattles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone have a link to a video or a past thread w/ photos how to remove the whole rear speaker deck ?
Not sure where to start to approach it from ? Inside the trunk or inside the rear seats ?

·
willis in dallas
63 Posts
I stiffed a small cotton towel in the opening and it helped. The
is not completely gone, bit it is better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
TSB 19-044 "2018 Accord: Rear Tray Rattles" was released on April 23, 2019.

The TSB currently applies only to a range of 2018 models equipped with a subwoofer.
thank you. do you know if this will apply to canadian models too or just usa? i have the same issue

·
Super Moderator
1,744 Posts
I don't have access to Canadian service information, but I don't see why it wouldn't affect Canadian models as well - they use the same interior trim and speakers as the US models.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,066 Posts
This has been asked and answered repeatedly in the 6 years I've been on the forum. Do a search puh-lease. I fixed that problem with a pair of socks in 5 minutes.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts